Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 1:15:09 AM   
Rusty1961

No more taking turns. Just put the game on a server and play it anytime you want, real-time.

No more waiting for your opponent to take his turn while he is away on vacation. Imagine logging on when the mood suits you and playing all day if you want.

You should also have the server tell you by text or email if something interesting has happened such as a sighting of a CV TF, a group of AOs or an air-raid is inbound. Then log-in and react.

WHy can't this be done?
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 1:18:49 AM   
JeffroK

What game you playin Willis?????

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 1:38:37 AM   
pbiggar

Seriously, are you suggesting this turn based relic become a real time mmo? (massive multiplayer online game for those over 60)

That is some serious **** you be smoking...

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 1:39:25 AM   
rtoolooze

It does sound like a good idea.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 1:59:55 AM   
jdsrae

Good concept but it’d need an engine built from the ground up.
Would you be assigned to a nation randomly?
That would create some interesting coordination dynamics between nations by removing the god like Omni-present supreme allied ruler.
Bags not being the Free French!

Follow the Sapper

(in reply to rtoolooze)
Post #: 5
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 2:54:36 PM   
Rusty1961

The game would not be a MMO like WoW. I mean you could have two or three players per side, of course.

1. There are no "phases"-just continuous play.
2. The game would be much more immersive as even when you're not playing it you'd be getting constant updates via text or email as to search planes, land forces, etc. Wouldn't that be fun?
3. You'd be much more closer to Nimitz or Yamamoto.
4. Imagine getting a text saying,"Rabaul radar reports large American raid inbound due in 30 minutes". That would be fun!

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 6
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 5:23:07 PM   
RangerJoe

I, personally, would not want to be on-line just for one game for years. As far as the incoming raid goes, unless you are the commander at that base, before you could issue orders, have them encrypted, sent, then unencrypted, it would be too late for action other than receiving the requested damage report.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 7
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/16/2019 11:29:37 PM   
obvert

The whole point of this game is that it's NOT real time. I don't want real time.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 8
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/17/2019 1:56:11 PM   
dcpollay

If there is an upside to this (fantasy) conversation, it would be the possibility to automatically upload the proper turn files to a common server rather than having to copy and email them manually.

That would be an improvement....

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 9
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/17/2019 5:09:16 PM   
RangerJoe

Each person could submit their turn and then the server would run it. Then send the results to each player. Of course, I would prefer a nice blonde server bringing me alt bier . . .

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 10
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/17/2019 5:47:37 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

The whole point of this game is that it's NOT real time. I don't want real time.

+1

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 3:25:25 AM   
bradfordkay

The idea is unworkable unless you made it a massively multiplayer team game. No one person would be able to issue all the orders to all the units in this game in real time.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 12
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 9:51:37 AM   
Rising-Sun

In strategic mode, would be turn based and real time for action phase to watch what going on in the fields. So doing the action phase you cannot control the units, except giving order earlier. So the commanders will have to rule that out.

What I like to see is 3D in naval and air engagements. The naval engagement in this game isn't good, its like each ships taken turn shooting each others. When ever the ships are in range, so much can go on within minutes. Naval maneuver is what I want to see, kinda like the old Gary Grisby's Warship back in the 90's. Either the ships and planes are in 2D or 3D, doesn't matter to me.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 13
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 2:41:33 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

Odd, I thought the whole point was to have fun. Sigh.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 14
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 4:35:33 PM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

I played something like that a long time ago called Imperia, or something.

You have to be online all the time to be rally effective. Imagine that raid coming at 4 a.m. Your time. How will you ever get enough sleep or anything else done?

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 15
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 4:50:55 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

quote:

quote:

You have to be online all the time to be rally effective. Imagine that raid coming at 4 a.m. Your time. How will you ever get enough sleep or anything else done?

You would have default orders for each base, air group, TF, etc. The processing power of our computers today allows that.

We need to advance beyond the stage in our hobby of tolerating another incarnation of Panzer General for excitement.

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 16
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 5:08:39 PM   
BBfanboy

The strength of WITP-AE is in the game engine's calculations that determine contact and combat outcomes. It does not have any programming that would make 3D animations possible and if I understand the professional programmers, the engine cannot be so modified.

You are talking a whole new game here, and that subject has been beaten to death. Until someone comes forward with the money to pay for a design and programming project of at least three years plus all the legal copywrite issues, it ain't gonna happen. There is a thread in the Tech section (stickied, I think) in which players were invited to submit their wishes for game improvements. The response was so overwhelming (and beyond the programmer's ability to address) that nothing further happened. Around that time our moderator informed us that the developers who had kindly been donating time to tweak the game were no longer able to do so.

Players can make scenarios in the editor and make a few simple tweaks like map changes (if they have the skills), but the game engine is copywrited so player re-programming will never approach making the game a real-time tactical game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 17
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 7:54:15 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You would have default orders for each base, air group, TF, etc. The processing power of our computers today allows that.

We need to advance beyond the stage in our hobby of tolerating another incarnation of Panzer General for excitement.

We do?

To the original post, that's an entirely different game. It is not WITP, and is more akin to a game that is an arcade/simulation crossbreed.

Strategy games are turn-based for a reason.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 18
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/18/2019 11:54:15 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The strength of WITP-AE is in the game engine's calculations that determine contact and combat outcomes. It does not have any programming that would make 3D animations possible and if I understand the professional programmers, the engine cannot be so modified.

You are talking a whole new game here, and that subject has been beaten to death. Until someone comes forward with the money to pay for a design and programming project of at least three years plus all the legal copywrite issues, it ain't gonna happen. There is a thread in the Tech section (stickied, I think) in which players were invited to submit their wishes for game improvements. The response was so overwhelming (and beyond the programmer's ability to address) that nothing further happened. Around that time our moderator informed us that the developers who had kindly been donating time to tweak the game were no longer able to do so.

Players can make scenarios in the editor and make a few simple tweaks like map changes (if they have the skills), but the game engine is copywrited so player re-programming will never approach making the game a real-time tactical game.

We're just dreaming. I don't see a problem with people giving their thoughts on what they would like. I didn't it would be so distressful.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 1:15:47 AM   
durnedwolf

There used to be a game - Great Naval Battles by SSI. You could take control of an individual ship and be in charge of navigation, gunnery, and damage control. I loved that game. If you could do that - pick a battle and control just one ship or airplane or tank of your choice per turn... That'd be soooo cool.

< Message edited by durnedwolf -- 3/19/2019 1:16:54 AM >

Bye for now,

DW

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 20
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 2:19:41 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

We're just dreaming. I don't see a problem with people giving their thoughts on what they would like. I didn't it would be so distressful.

It was not clear to me that the people posting knew they were posting dreams rather than actionable suggestions. I did not want to squelch dreaming, but to be sure they knew their wish lists were not actionable unless someone spends a lot of money (for no financial return). Our agenda should be to get Paul Allen hooked on this game!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 21
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 2:24:46 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

There used to be a game - Great Naval Battles by SSI. You could take control of an individual ship and be in charge of navigation, gunnery, and damage control. I loved that game. If you could do that - pick a battle and control just one ship or airplane or tank of your choice per turn... That'd be soooo cool.

I have that game. I never got good enough at running any of the stations your could take over - i.e. I wasn't bad on the rangefinder at hitting the enemy but the enemy seemed to always knock out the ship before I could do much damage to him. OTOH, when I stayed in Admiral mode I could always outmaneuver the enemy and win the battle with the pixelcrew handling the ship stations. Graphics would be blocky by today's standards but were good enough for the computing power available at the time.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 22
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 2:35:07 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was not clear to me that the people posting knew they were posting dreams rather than actionable suggestions. I did not want to squelch dreaming, but to be sure they knew their wish lists were not actionable unless someone spends a lot of money (for no financial return). Our agenda should be to get Paul Allen hooked on this game!

You know he died recently, right? :(

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 8:22:13 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

+1. Bought my first PC when I stumbled over GNB II in a computer shop. I usually left gunnery to the AI and concentrated on damage control, trying desperately to plug holes, pump-out flodded compartments and fighting fires, with quick dahses to the Admiral's bridge to give orders to the task force. The "continuous time" concept with event-triggered pauses was great.

I dream of a game on a zoomable Google Earth-type map which runs in "continuous time" (with acceleration option like in Silent Hunter for example) with event and report triggers that will pause the game when necessary (like "TF xy has reached destination, awaiting orders" or "Coastwatcher at Buin reports 50 enemy planes heading south" or "Guadalcanal base reports critical shortages of food, ammo, avgas and medical supplies - urgently requests resupply").

Each type of report should be configurable to be triggered by player choice in either "real-time" (for ex. when combat-related) or grouped in "phases" of 1 - 24 hours to avoid interrupting the game every x minutes (for ex. when logistics etc. are concerned).

There should be "Standard operation procedures" that could be defined for each event, like "Patrol" or "RTB" when a destination has been reached by a TF, "Scramble CAP" when bogeys are being reported etc. to automate tasks by player choice to keep things managable.

Any lottery winners with money to spare on the forum?

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 24
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 12:27:43 PM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We do?

To the original post, that's an entirely different game. It is not WITP, and is more akin to a game that is an arcade/simulation crossbreed.

Strategy games are turn-based for a reason.

There was a real time 24 hours campaign of Crossfire.

http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/wargaming/crossfireWorldDay.html#mainSection

It is board game and separate teams over the planet played different scenarios from a campaign.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 25
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 12:43:07 PM   
RangerJoe

Think of a Civ type game where when there was a war, it would then open up a smaller tactical/strategic game just to handle the war. Smaller units and such on a smaller map where the turns weren't the entire Civ turn. Think if this game started out small as you had to take a small farming village to a larger city with outposts for defense, mining, and such like.

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 26
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 3:44:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

No I did not. Now I am wondering about all those posts recently about his discovery of Wasp et al. There are timeline issues here.
But I will settle for Elon Musk's support since he seems determined to spend all his fortune ...

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 27
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 3:46:48 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

No I did not. Now I am wondering about all those posts recently about his discovery of Wasp et al. There are timeline issues here.
But I will settle for Elon Musk's support since he seems determined to spend all his fortune ...

I checked the articles also, thinking maybe it was a discovery from when he was still alive that just needed verification before publication, but no - he founded/funded the group that made the discoveries, and they've been continuing to work after his passing.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/19/2019 5:04:49 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

There were at least two games in the series, if not more. I had the Atlantic one and the Guadalcanal campaign one. Played the heck out of the GC campaign one.

It was both an operational and tactical simulator. You organized TFs to bring supply and troops to the canal, engaging in real time simulator naval combat when encounters occurred. You could jump down from the operational level to the bridge of any given ship and take control of it in the fight, or leave them all under the control of the tactical AI.

Just like with Silent Hunter (reloaded Wolves of the Pacific and started a campaign last night) when you zoom downward enough on the map the TF icons break up into individual ships. Same would happen in Great Naval battles with incoming air raids. You can leave the zoom at the operational level and see an air raid icon or zoom further and see individual planes.

This concept worked well for an operational campaign. Don't think it translates well to a grand strategic level.

Hans

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 29
RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server - 3/20/2019 1:42:12 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

The GNB series contained five games. Never played the first GNB but AFAIK it was North Atlantic only. GNB II was about Guadalcanal and was great, glad I purchased my first PC in order to paly it. GNB III "Fury in the Pacific" was fun as well but buggy and was more focusing on single battles like Coral Sea, Midway, Leyte Gulf etc.than on a drawn-out campaign like Guadalcanal. GNB IV was about the ETO and Med, was okay but I preferred the PTO and quickly moved to Gary Grigsby's Guadalcanal, then UV/WitP/AE. Part V of GNB was about World War One, only dreadnoughts and no aircraft. It was only available in a box containing all four previous games, I abstained. Still have the CDs and manuals for parts II-IV, but they need Windows 95 to run. May try DOSBox one day time permitting. Wish there would be a remake, or WitP-AE II with tactical battles.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 3/20/2019 1:43:00 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI