Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Double terrain - how does it work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Double terrain - how does it work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Double terrain - how does it work? - 3/15/2019 12:41:55 AM   
BigDuke66

Just checking some scenarios and wondered about the graphics as some hexes looked like forest but popup only showed me light woods, what did not match the light woods graphic.
After loading it into the editor I saw that there are 2 types of terrain, forest & light woods.
So how does this work in game, are both terrains & its features applied?

Post #: 1
RE: Double terrain - how does it work? - 3/15/2019 4:28:37 AM   
Lobster

The mouse over shows light woods but the movement cost is for forest. I've seen this posted as a bug before but it persists. If I recall correctly the game is supposed to pick the highest movement point terrain and the terrain that affords the best defense if there is more than one in a hex. Why a mouse over does not show forest is bewildering.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2
RE: Double terrain - how does it work? - 3/15/2019 4:24:24 PM   
Shadrach

Could it be intentional from the designer, maybe there's something about it in the documentation for the scenario? Like a movement modifier based on another factor than just the terrain showing? I guess a "better" way could be to make the hex rocky instead, depending on needs of course.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Double terrain - how does it work? - 3/15/2019 5:01:40 PM   
BigDuke66

I know from Operation Neva that badlands are used on the map, and the graphics for it are overridden by blank graphic files.
The PDF for it notes:
"To represent the relative thin ice, larger areas of frozen lake and swamps have a underlying layer of badlands added."

In my case I don't find any hind to such design feature and I doubt that some kind of additional effect is wanted, maybe forest on the map was simply expanded without removing the light woods terrain.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 4
RE: Double terrain - how does it work? - 3/15/2019 8:51:54 PM   
larryfulkerson

I was surprised to hear that you can put more than one terrain type in a hex. Really? How many terrain types are allowed? What's the advantage to doing that?

If we ever do get to be a space faring species and go to other worlds, let's make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 5
RE: Double terrain - how does it work? - 3/15/2019 11:14:17 PM   
rhinobones

Larry

There are multiple ways where overlaying terrain types is useful. A few examples:
Hills covered in light or heavy forest
Sand and rock as in North Africa (you have that same terrain in Tucson)
Light and heavy forest where an area of light forest blends into heavy forest

I’m sure the creative designers can find other cases where a mixed terrain is desirable. If nothing else, I think it tends to make the map graphics more attractive.

I do agree with the report above. During game play TOAW needs to display all terrain types located in observed hexes.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Double terrain - how does it work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI