ANSWERED How stop freighters entering hostile systems

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ElanaAhova_slith

ANSWERED How stop freighters entering hostile systems

Post by ElanaAhova_slith »

How do I stop my civilian run freighters from repeatedly entering hostile systems and getting blown away? Several times the same freighter enters, is attacked by pirates, successfully escapes and heads right back in. I don't want civy pilots with suicidal wishes - is there a way to 'guide' them? Thanks all.
Do as you would be done by.
Uncle Lumpy

RE: How stop freighters entering hostile systems

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Not that I'm aware of. You have no real control of the private sector. The closest you can come is to manually direct construction ships to build mines where you want them. Of course, the mines then revert to private sector control. You can also manually design the private sector ships. But again, they remain under control of the private sector. Eventually you will realize a small benefit from private sector suicide missions, once they're destroyed, the private sector pays you to replace them.
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
ElanaAhova_slith

ORIGINAL: Uncle Lumpy

Not that I'm aware of. You have no real control of the private sector. The closest you can come is to manually direct construction ships to build mines where you want them. Of course, the mines then revert to private sector control. You can also manually design the private sector ships. But again, they remain under control of the private sector. Eventually you will realize a small benefit from private sector suicide missions, once they're destroyed, the private sector pays you to replace them.
I was aware of this - is a good reminder - thanks! The large freighter in question was carrying a critical resource I'm short on. I play with 100 stars - so each ship is more important than in a larger universe.

I've been away several years. I noticed two changes. First, exploring ruins now sometimes yields generic research - not just super weapons. Second, none of the abandoned / damaged sites (debris fields) have that one undamaged ship you can claim by investigating it.

I was hoping for an option (that I didn't see) that would permit me to tag some systems as off limits to civilian trade. Is not there. Thanks for confirming.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: ElanaAhova_slith

How do I stop my civilian run freighters from repeatedly entering hostile systems and getting blown away? Several times the same freighter enters, is attacked by pirates, successfully escapes and heads right back in. I don't want civy pilots with suicidal wishes - is there a way to 'guide' them? Thanks all.

With your problem with private freighters being destroyed by enemy ships, instead of trying to work out how to keep the freighters away from enemy systems you need to work out how to get freighters to survive an attack.

First thing to do is to make sure the stance of the freighters is to flee when encountering enemy ships.... Enemy ship detected... Let's get out of here. If you don't have the stance set at flee the freighters will stay around.

You also need to make sure the freighters are not armed or they will classed as military ships... You don't want that.

Add more armor and shields if possible to help when attacked...

Increase your maximum speed so the freighters can get away faster.

Also make sure your jump drives will activate faster so your ships aren't waiting around for the jump to kick in.

The trick is to get them to escape when enemy detected, have more defences if attacked... And a quicker activating jump drive.
ElanaAhova_slith

ORIGINAL: rjord1

With your problem with private freighters being destroyed by enemy ships, instead of trying to work out how to keep the freighters away from enemy systems you need to work out how to get freighters to survive an attack.

First thing to do is to make sure the stance of the freighters is to flee when encountering enemy ships.... Enemy ship detected... Let's get out of here. If you don't have the stance set at flee the freighters will stay around.

You also need to make sure the freighters are not armed or they will classed as military ships... You don't want that.

Add more armor and shields if possible to help when attacked...

Increase your maximum speed so the freighters can get away faster.

Also make sure your jump drives will activate faster so your ships aren't waiting around for the jump to kick in.

The trick is to get them to escape when enemy detected, have more defences if attacked... And a quicker activating jump drive.
Thank you for advice. All sound basics.

Was w/ starting warp tech - not warp bubble - next tier.
Freighters stance IS ALWAYS set to flee upon sighting hostiles. They flee, when outside system, head right back in. Rinse, repeat. Did same thing years ago when Return of S.. came out.

Freighters are NOT armed. I never arm them.

Always put max thrusters on them, max speed possible. Tend to go with max armor - as more shields sap energy. Using only drive I have, the galaxy - whatever. When I max the research on that drive I add the one with the quickest jump time. I also push research of the better caselon fission power source - smaller, more efficcient, increases ship speed, range yada, without adding more fuel cells or engines. However, thats future, still at baci (post bubble) tech.
Your last sentence sums up my approach as well. Thanks for replying. I still wish the government / military could issue 'avoid this system alerts. Welcome to the forbidden zone :)

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Re The Forbidden Zone I am looking at my options there as my Star Trek mod has a Romulan and Klingon Neutral Zone and I want ships to respect their sides of the Neutral Zone. Not good to have a Federation freighter entering the Neutral Zone....
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Re The Forbidden Zone I am looking at my options there as my Star Trek mod has a Romulan and Klingon Neutral Zone and I want ships to respect their sides of the Neutral Zone. Not good to have a Federation freighter entering the Neutral Zone....
Rjord1, how the Federation freighters will avoid the Romulan/Klingon Neutral Zone in your Star Trek mod ?
ElanaAhova_slith

I've never played the star trek mod. Love to hear about your experience. Does it have a mechanism that gets the civies to stay out of certain areas (like the neutral zone)? If so, I might try to figure out a way to add that functionality as a mod. BTW, I like the Archer generation of Star Trek the most - the first starship enterprise.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

Rjord1, how the Federation freighters will avoid the Romulan/Klingon Neutral Zone in your Star Trek mod ?

While the game does not have a way of allowing me to put in a no go zone for the Klingon and Romulan space I have a couple of ideas on how I may be able to prevent freighters crossing the neutral zone and going into Klingon or Romulan space.

At some stage a planet such as Talos IV will become a quarantined planet due to the significant threat by the planet's occupants. If I decide to have quarantined planets in the mod after a period of time I have some thoughts of how this may be done.

Will let you know once I do some testing.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I've never played the star trek mod. Love to hear about your experience. Does it have a mechanism that gets the civies to stay out of certain areas (like the neutral zone)? If so, I might try to figure out a way to add that functionality as a mod. BTW, I like the Archer generation of Star Trek the most - the first starship enterprise.

My Star Trek mod has not yet being released but will let you know when it is. The development has taken time because I was trying to work out to do some things which were essential for the mod. Thankfully I have worked out how to do them so full speed ahead on the mod development.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”