AI always declares war on player?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

thekhan360

AI always declares war on player?

Post by thekhan360 »

Even if it's a game between several AIs and the player, the AI seem too quick to declare war on player almost immediately after starting the game. This takes off a chunk of fun knowing you are about to be attacked from all sides. While AI does declare on each other, but after few turns the diplomacy screen shows player at war with every AI while not all AIs are at ear with each other. Even seemingly logical border sharing enemies dont declare war.

Anyway to make it a bit more realistic and to give the player a genuine feel of fair game rather than a handicap match.

I play the steam version. Thanks.
Ormand

RE: AI always declares war on player?

Post by Ormand »

From what I understand, the AI looks at you and makes a determination if it is stronger than you, and will declare war on you. Yes, it kind of gets to "cheat" by "knowing" how many powerpoints you have in a region, and makes an estimation that it can "take you". Also, the AI aggressiveness is governed by rulevar 903. The larger this is, the more aggressive it will be. Whether there is code so that they will gang up on you, I can't say. I think not. I am generally looking at random games with two regimes. But, having a map where you have several borders with AI regimes could be challenging.

There is also the random personality, so, some AI regimes might be more aggressive.

I have found that the AI be quite timid at times. If you make a strong defensive line, the AI will actually leave you alone.

You can try to implement a diplomatic block to try and give yourself some breathing room. But, you find that the AI might think you are too tough to take on. You could also try a simple event that starts with rulevar 903 being small, and increase it each turn.

The AI has several advantages, such as free strategic movement, that give it a leg up on human players in the early going.

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
thekhan360

Post by thekhan360 »

Ok I am gonna check the Rulevar 903 and try reducing it a bit. However how to increase it each turn like you mentioned is beyond me. Thanks again.
Vic

Post by Vic »

The AI does indeed take into account the number of enemies 'the candidate for declare war' is already fighting to estimate how much forces it will probably face if it declares war.

They do play a bit like a human and they will have a tendency to join 'the pack of hyenas' if some regime is being overwhelmed.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
thekhan360

Post by thekhan360 »

Thanks Vic.

By the way, I would love to be a part of the Shadow Empire's testers team. :)

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”