I'm already on this forum from beggining and with this great game almost too. From since that, I always search everything which was related to this. And because my relates were from Basarabia, and many died in ww2 in romanian army I want HERE to set a definitive point about Romania role in ww2: as an army and as an ally of Grmany. I talked dozens of times with my family ex soldiers in ww2 and what I'm discovered is somehow different from how one or others know about us.
Because I'm forced to be brief (financial, oh, it's Romania again !) I resume all the truth in points. Now, to begin:
1. For the first days of war and far to the eliberation of Basarabia, the romanian army have fair/good morale and an extremely lack of experience. This with a very poor training and equipment make a relative poor enemy to soviets. This because 2 major causes:
- the wellknowed romanian lack of courage and initiative under centuries; unless the limit situation when well motivated the romanian have an incredible courage and heroism. Badly, because this happened only on a few rare situations and ONLY when the ''knife arrive to bones'' onto romanians. Yes, this it is the words who characterizing best the romanians (army as well) from centuries. But when this happened, they become heroes in mass. This contrasted for example best with the brits or germans,
who were diametral opposed with us. Maybe the latin roots. The italians performed almost the same in ww2 and theirs army suffers from the same ''simptoms''. From this, almost all ww2 the romanians were used as cannon fodder, by germans first and by soviets second. Not to mention the own staff (army and civil government) who many times used the army as a ''third time cannon fodder users''). For example, I talked onetime with a man who was into the personal guard of the king Mihai/Michael durind ww2 and he talk to me that when hundreds of romanian soldiers were killed each day onto eastern battles the king almost always deal with ......... sex, f.....g all he get into sights living in luxurious conditions when the majority of the romanians suffers at extreme from war and famine (my gradma had to be evacuated from basarabia in 1942 and leave 2 years only with 3 sacks of dehidrated piece of bread (300 kg) together with 6 other family members. Sorry for the language but i reproduce the old man words. That was the reality ! Not what one or other believe to be was ! Or books fantasy !
2. From eliberation to the end of the war the morale went down !!! Point. Other characteristichs were same. (Very) poor equipment and lack of experience.
3. The truth was that the romanians were for the long of the war a weak enemy for soviets. Almost same as italians, but compared to them I think we need to be see a little high because the italians have a more good equipment
4. But we were ''cuiul lui Pepelea'' in ww2 !!. This in brute translation means: ''Pepelea's nail/needle'' which means a minor thing but with major effects. Why ? Because that:
-if romanian didn't leave axis and join allies Hitler could gain 6 month to war. All historians are well acording with that.
-if Hitler could have 6 month to war he could have the atomic bomb ! This is well knowed too.
Conclusions: do yourselves !
This is ''cuiul lui Pepelea'' ! A minor country with a poor army could be the major factor into ww2.
P.S. But what bothering me is not that morale/experience /etc discusion but the innacurate OOB's for Romania in SPWAW and even in SPWW2 ! The most expresive is at the airplane section where is a big mess/error (for example, we had a real air match for many airplanes of the time -the IAR's and we had 6/7 different versions, very innacurate in OOB). Many times I wanted to encounter (by e-mail of course) someone which could modify that (after my parameters) but never happened. Too bad.
>i read in manstein book, that the rumanian had always met their goal in the war with the capture of the odessa area and they don´t wanted to march deeper into russia. but with pressure from hitler they had to. understandable the same as the italians in africa, that they had not THAT great fighting spirit sometimes...
despite that fact they performed very good in some placed and manstein said they were germans best allies, perhaps he forgot here the finnish soldier which proved itself in many places against the russians. [/B][/QUOTE]