Guns of August - AAR as Central Powers v Triple Entente AI with bonus

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.
Energisteron

Guns of August - AAR as Central Powers v Triple Entente AI with bonus

Post by Energisteron »

Start Menu

OK, having had a couple of test games as each side, I'm going for the big one, a really serious game all the way through!

I choose to play the Central Powers in the 1914 scenario against the AI opponent. I intend to extend the scenario at the end of each year to cover the war till its conclusion.

I'm granting the AI a bonus, which amounts to a 50% increase in Industrial Points, the primary currency of the game, so it should be tough, as if playing the Central Powers wasn't tough enough! I elect to use the alternative map and counters but I can change back to the original set by reloading a game save if anyone is interested in comparing the artwork. I don't fiddle with the diplomatic stance of Italy, Romania etc. so everything remains historical.

So, let battle commence!

Attachments
Menu.jpg
Menu.jpg (185.66 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Energisteron

RE: Guns of August - AAR as Central Powers v Triple Entente AI with bonus

Post by Energisteron »

Initial Strategy

I decide on what I believe to be a fairly historical strategy for Germany, but I'll tweak things a little for Austria (Austro-Hungary).

Germany will attack immediately through Belgium with its best and strongest units with the objective of reaching Arras on the Somme, and Dunkirk on the coast by the end of September. Meanwhile a diversionary attack through Luxembourg will harass and continue to threaten Verdun to draw away French reserves from their expected attack into Alsace and towards the Saar and Rhine. My line southwards to the Swiss frontier will be relatively weak. All my artillery will be in the north directed at Liege and Verdun, and I will keep just one Cavalry unit in the west near the Dutch border but available to follow-up any breakthrough into Picardy.

In the East, Germany will mount a skeleton defence of Prussia and Silesia with just six Corps, but it will be supplemented by three Cavalry Divisions which I will use to scout and assess Russian intentions thereabouts. They will have no artillery!

Austria has a long and very vulnerable front to hold in the East against a Russian Army of far superior strength. However, I will trust in a slow Russian build-up and throw the maximum possible force at Serbia on the Balkan front. This will leave Galicia very vulnerable in the early stages and I may have to give up ground or even one of the fortresses guarding that frontier. Meanwhile I will keep one Corps back watching the currently peaceful Italians from Trieste.

At Sea, Germany will endeavour to keep control of the Baltic and hurt the Russian fleet if it ventures out, but primarily this will be a U-boat war in the North Sea and even more importantly the North Atlantic. Austria cannot hope to compete with a combined French and British fleet in the Mediterranean and so its naval units will stay in port until the Ottoman fleet comes to our side and the Entente are suspected of reinforcing Egypt for an attack on Palestine, in which case we will try to interrupt their transports. If enough resources can be kept in reserve then U-boats in the Mediterranean may also prove useful.

In the Air, we will attempt to nullify Entente reconnaissance patrols in the West at the extent of being partially blinded in the East.

Now Economic and Political decisions must be made. I research Trenches, and Artillery because I will need to bolster my Rhine defences with entrenchments as soon as possible, and ultimately I will need improved artillery to tackle the French Forts if France does not collapse quickly. I very sportingly declare war on Belgium and Luxembourg (this is essential during the Strategic Phase as it cannot be done 'on the hop' during movement'). With my War Chest funds I order 2xUBs, 1xTransport and 4xArty for Germany, and 2xArty and 1xCav for Austria.

Germany deploys one U-boat apiece to the North Sea and the North Atlantic, and a Battle Squadron (2xDreadnoughts (DN), 1xPre-dreadnought (PD), and 2xCruisers (CA)) into the Baltic. Austria stays in port. Five Air squadrons are deployed in the West, and 1 in the East. Austria assigns its lone squadron to spot for artillery at Belgrade.

So, a few screenshots now. Here's the Western Front at kick-off. I've adjusted the stacks to show the most important unit in each hex. Thus, in the north, Armies of 3-4 Corps are supported by Artillery. A Cavalry Division watches the Dutch frontier, and the defence to the south is primarily held by 2 Corps per hex but they have some decent Corps to the rear in Reserve. The objective is pin Verdun, and take Liege and Brussels by the end of August, and hold fast southwards to the Swiss frontier.

Attachments
WF_1408.jpg
WF_1408.jpg (180.7 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

The Eastern Front from Prussia to Silesia:-

Again the most notable unit is atop each stack.

Just 2 Corps are left to defend East Prussia and Konigsberg, where General Pritwitz sets up his HQ. The Thorn fortress set halfway between Warsaw and Posen is defended by 4 Corps with 3 Cavalry Divisions in support on the flanks, 2 to the east end of the line. The Cavalry objective will be to scout out and harry any Russian advance on Thorn, Danzig, or Breslau. The latter city is wide open! I'm trusting that once they reach my line the Russian Infantry will break on my better equipped units. If I attack at all, it will be simply to counterattack any half-beaten Russian units.

Attachments
EF_1408.jpg
EF_1408.jpg (152.88 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Looks great. I'll be following.
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

The Galician Front where Austro-Hungary faces Russia:-

The Austrians place a line from Krakow in the NW to Tarnopol, opposite Russian Dubno, where the frontier suddenly bends southwards. This incorporates the vital fortresses of Lemberg and Przmesyl. Krakow is somewhat isolated as currently there are too few units to garrison the whole line effectively, and to place single Corps in the line here would invite their destruction! Further south Czernowitz is garrisoned by a single Corps but it is supported by 3 Cavalry Divisions in these wide open spaces. At the northern end of the line Krakow and Brunn, between Krakow and Vienna, also have Cavalry in attendance.

The objective will be to hold the line until second wave mobilisation provides additional units. The heavy artillery near the fortresses will be used to hammer a Russian advance towards Lemberg. Again, local counterattacks may be launched.

The frontiers seen to the north and south are German Silesia, and Romania respectively.

Attachments
GF_1408.jpg
GF_1408.jpg (138.18 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

The Balkan Front - Serbia:-

Austria throws as much as she can at 'little' Serbia. A total of 7 Corps, 1 Heavy Artillery and a Cavalry Division are deployed on this front. Two HQs* (lower in the stacks) are also present so action can occur all along the start line.

*I've shown HQs only when not in the frontline as I want to represent the fighting units foremost.

Serbia is mountainous (well, rough on the map) and not easy to attack. I do want to attack but with some caution, as I want to be able to withdraw intact units to the Galician Front once the Serbian defence is broken. The objective will be to take Belgrade quickly, since it is virtually surrounded on three sides already, and split the Serbian defence by driving straight for Nish. I will make no attempt to advance down the coast unless Serbia withdraws.

Attachments
BF_1408.jpg
BF_1408.jpg (124.61 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

So, onwards to war! Early August 1914:-

There are immediate naval clashes:-

In the Baltic a Russian Squadron ventures out and receives a bloody nose from our larger Squadron. German capital ships score crippling hits on a Russian DN, and the Russian fleet limps away. Germany secures the Baltic.

In the North Sea a German U-boat is caught and damaged by a strong flotilla of British Destroyers (DD), but our second U-boat badly damages a British Transport before going on to attack Merchant Shipping with some success.

The Entente controls the High Seas including the North Sea as we have no surface units there. Our U-boats failed to reach the Atlantic.

In the Air, we gain a relatively free reign on the East and West Fronts, and can conduct reconnaissance aplenty. In the West, France is amassing a huge concentration just south of Verdun. It's obvious France intends to take Alsace-Lorraine. In the East, an immense Russian force appears poised to attack Lemberg.

On the Western Front we launch our offensive against Belgium and Luxembourg preceded by a heavy artillery barrage. Verdun also gets hit by artillery but with no follow-up assault. In the East we're on the defensive, although Austria makes an all-out attack on Belgrade.

In this first clash, casualties are enormous (104,000 Central Powers (CP), 208,000 Triple Entente (TE)) even though the AI Entente exhibited some restraint. France takes the brunt of these casualties in a vigorous assault from Nancy towards Strasbourg which is repulsed but our 2 Corps are down to half strength. It is fortunate I have a few Corps in reserve just there! The French also make an attempt to forestall our advance into Luxembourg but are rebuffed. German artillery wreaks havoc on the Belgian defenders at Liege but the fortress holds out, just! There's only a half-hearted attempt to prevent our advance into the Belgian Ardennes which is brushed aside with ease.

The Austrians are successful in the Balkans and take Belgrade after a preliminary bombardment at the first rush. The Serbs form a solid line behind Belgrade though, and that city is the only territory lost by Serbia. In the East the Russians approach the German and Austrian defence lines but make no attacks. A clever Russian (AI) manoeuvre around Czernowitz virtually surrounds the town leaving the Austrian Cavalry out front scouting nothing!

So, mid-August and the CP must follow-up success, and extract themselves from new threats.

The Galician Front deserves a screenshot. Notice the Russians have also made a move towards undefended Breslau.

Attachments
GF_14081.jpg
GF_14081.jpg (132.46 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

As August progresses (second impulse of 3 in August this turn), Germany again bombards Liege, and sends in another assault which takes the city. Many of the original units were heavily fatigued and when possible fresh units were employed. The German force in the Ardennes makes a successful advance further into Belgium towards Brussels (into what would be Namur but that city is not on the map), and this is followed-up by a fresh Army of 3 Corps in case the French attempt to intervene, which they do but they are repulsed with heavy losses to both sides. Advance parties detect a British presence in the port of Antwerp!

In Alsace, fresh units are brought into the line to defend against an expected renewed French attack. The French attack is heavily supported by artillery but is again repulsed with exceedingly high losses.

In Prussia one Corps is detached from the defence of Thorn to suppress a Russian move on Breslau. Otherwise German units sit and await the Russian assault, but the only attack comes from Kovno towards Konigsberg, and it is turned back easily with modest losses to both sides. In Galicia the Austrians fire every shell they can at the Russian columns advancing on Lemberg and attempt to use Cavalry to protect the threatened garrison in Czernowitz with some success. It seems the Russian offensive at Czernowitz has run out of steam! Austrian units in Serbia are almost at exhaustion and so it seemed prudent to attempt to consolidate Austria's hold on Belgrade, although one assault was made directly south from Belgrade using a fresh Corps. Belgrade is held and the attack south is a success though a costly one.

Here is the situation on the West Front. See how depleted some of the units are in the Strasbourg area.

Attachments
WF_14082.jpg
WF_14082.jpg (125.21 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

So, the end of August approaches!

In the West, to maintain the proposed schedule, Germany must take Brussels, and advance to the headwaters of the Somme. Meanwhile, frontline units are near breaking point. (The little number in the white box at mid-right of the counter is that unit's readiness level.) Can I risk pushing them further into Belgium, especially since France is mounting counterattacks from Verdun towards our 'hinge' in the Ardennes and Luxembourg. Also the French assaults into the lightly held Alsace-Lorraine sector are a real threat.

In the East the CP are still largely waiting for the impending Russian assault, and Austria has made good progress into Serbia but is now exhausted and cannot push any further. However, a Russian probe towards Thorn looks vulnerable and Germany will mount a limited counterattack.

I decide to risk a repulse and push forward into Belgium and particularly Brussels without Artillery support. Only the British in Antwerp would seem to be in our way! But the artillery, already behind the advance units will be used to support follow-up units by blasting French concentrations around Verdun and Sedan (not represented on the map).

With both combatants nearing exhaustion, battles are far less intense, and fewer than earlier in the month. France makes the expected attack at our 'hinge', the Ardennes again, and is repulsed but both sides lose heavily. However this permits our reckless push further into Belgium to continue, and Germany takes Brussels under the nose of the British unit in Antwerp, and makes contact with a second British Army in Lille. This time around, the French attack even further south near Belfort and are repulsed but only just. After all, that was the weakest part of our line!

In the East the Russian horde is still amassing in front of our defence lines, although a spearhead does penetrate into the Prussian forests south of Konigsberg. Near Thorn, the Russian unit steps back from our counterattack without significant loss, and the manouevres between Lodz and Breslau involving 3 Russian Corps and 1 German Corp continues without a fight. Both sides consolidate in Serbia.

Many neutral nations protest about the German attack on Belgium and Luxembourg so we'll have to placate them with 'diplomatic overtures'!

And finally, the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) obviously impressed by the CP martial prowess becomes a co-belligerent!

Here's the East front in Prussia at the end of August.

Attachments
EF_14083.jpg
EF_14083.jpg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Very nice !

I will also be following [&o]
Former AJE team member
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

So, we reach September, and combined military casualties have exceeded 800,000 men already.

The TE casualties are approaching double those of the CP. The majority of the casualties have been incurred by France while making repeated assaults into Alsace, or in meeting engagements in southern Belgium and Luxembourg in which casualties were more evenly distributed, but just as high.

The French assaults, though costly, have severely depleted and fatigued several German Corps in the West, just when I was hoping to shore up my defence in the East by transferring Corps to Breslau and Danzig. Austria has suffered too in overcoming fierce Serbian resistance around Belgrade but at least they have their victory. Russia has suffered just one significant repulse near Konigsberg, and most Russian casualties have been caused by Austrian artillery during their approach march to Lemberg. Britain has not yet been engaged on land but is in contact with German lead units at Antwerp and Lille.

Nowhere has a decisive move or victory been achieved. The German momentum in Belgium is probably the most significant aspect to date, but can this thrust be maintained in the face of British resistance?

This is the status summary for the beginning of September 1914. In theory the CP are winning (positive score).

Attachments
Victory1409.jpg
Victory1409.jpg (84.38 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Strategic and Economic decisions - September 1914

I put my one research chit into trench engineering. I'm going to need extra cover to avoid being bled to death in Alsace and probably in Austrian Galicia. I've no diplomatic options this turn but that's not a great concern. Despite expressing horror at my invasion of Belgium no neutral nation looks likely to enter the fray against me, while Bulgaria looks quite interested in taking a slice of Serbia by coming over to the CP. I won't push them just yet, but Italy is a different matter. I must keep the Italians happy for as long as possible! They'd be a real threat to Austria.

German industrial output is doing fine, Austria's not so much so, and Turkey is hardly on a war footing at all as yet. Germany spends on 2 HQ refits (offensive stockpiles), 9 Arms refits (war materiel), 1 Diplomacy, 16 Naval resources, 8 Artillery (ammo load-outs), 2 R&D, 15 Trench (Engineering), and 1 new Air Squadron, but no other land or naval units.

Austria cannot hope to match such profligacy and orders just 1 HQ refit, and 5 Trench points, but she does order an extra artillery unit. Turkey requests just 1 Trench.

At Sea there's not much to report. Germany repairs its U-boat and orders it back into the Atlantic. Austria and Turkey stay in port. The German Squadron continues to patrol the Baltic and secure Scandinavian trade. There's no change in the distribution of Air Squadrons.

The CP send replacements and reservists to the front, especially the West Front. Amazingly all but 3 Corps are nominally brought back to full strength. Likewise Austria rehabilitates all of its Corps in Serbia. Both have a late mobilising Corps to add to their OOB.

Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

So, military strategy. Any need to revise CP plans already?

In the West the offensive towards Dunkirk and Arras should continue but with a slightly more cautious approach. The lead units are heavily fatigued and fresh units really need to be brought up, as does the artillery. However, to stall now even for just one week would give the TE chance to entrain units up to the French coast to block our advance. Maybe we should advance until stopped? It may be worth isolating Antwerp but surely that port will fall soon in any case? To the south, our defending Corps need to hold and to dig-in if possible.

In Serbia Austria must continue to consolidate and reorganise. There's no harm in a delay there.

In the East, Germany must be reinforced with at least the freshly raised Corps and another if at all possible from the West. Falling back on Konigsberg looks imperative. In Galicia, Austria must bear the Russian onslaught and trust to its artillery. Turkey should just scout out the ground ahead in the Caucasus and Palestine.

If there is to be a decisive decision it'll be in the West (as shown below).

Attachments
WF_1409.jpg
WF_1409.jpg (169.44 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

September-October 1914 - Combat

U-boats cause significant damage to British shipping in the North Sea but again they fail to breakout into the wider Atlantic. A Russian destroyer is caught and sunk in the Baltic. In the Air, the ET partially nullify our August air reconnaissance advantage but we still have some eyes over the battlefield!

The two leading German Corps approaching Lille and Arras have outrun their communications and cannot be ordered to advance further immediately. Air reconnaissance indicates there is a very strong British Corps at Lille, but Antwerp is probably occupied only by Cavalry. So Antwerp is assaulted and taken as the enemy Cavalry withdraw ahead of the assault. The freshest Corps are entrained to the Somme sector and communications re-established for another push. The enemy make good use of this enforced lull in Picardy to entrain units northwards, and French positions are seen to be established across the Somme, and in Ostend. The British continue to build-up in Lille. The only apparent gap is now the town of Arras!

Fortunately, the transfer of French units towards the coast means that their offensive into Alsace stops. Our defenders really needed a respite!

In the East, Germany suffers its first significant reverse when a strong Russian attack from Kovno hits the German Corps as it attempts to withdraw into Konigsberg. The latter fortress is garrisoned by a fresh Corps plus the Corps withdrawing from the coast. Elsewhere in Prussia the front seems to be stabilising. Austria keeps pounding the Russian positions in front of Lemberg with artillery, and the Russians return fire to little effect. A Russian spearhead attempts to infiltrate between Krakow, which has been reinforced with a fresh Corps, and Przemysl. All is quiet in Serbia for the moment, and the worst depleted German Corps from the Western Front is sent to recuperate in the Austrian Alps as a precaution against Italian aggression.

Having reorganised the German thrust to the French coast resumes with assaults on both Arras and British occupied Lille. Both towns fall, but pushing the British out of Lille was costly with their losses being half of ours. The BEF retreat to Calais (not marked on the map), leaving the French Army in Ostend dangerously exposed and under threat of isolation. Neither side makes any aggressive move in the south of the West Front.

In Serbia, Austrian reorganisation also permits resumption of their offensive and more ground is gained on the road to Nish, and there's a reassuring expansion of the Belgrade lodgement. Austrian spirits must be high by now because the Russian infiltration near Krakow is thrown back with significant losses. There is no general assault on Lemberg as yet but Russian artillery preparations continue.

The Prussian front is still fairly stable and General Hindenburg takes charge of two Corps and the defence of Breslau.

Here's the position in Serbia. It is apparent just how fatigued the Austrian units have become despite their successes.

Attachments
BF_1409.jpg
BF_1409.jpg (134.87 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

So, as the end of October approaches here is the position in the Somme sector of the Western Front.

A result here now could decide the outcome of the entire war!

Germany has just 2 Corps in the lead at both Arras and Lille, and just a single Corps in both Brussels and Antwerp. However, Brussels has 3 Heavy Artillery units as well. The remainder of the Artillery is around the 'hinge' near Verdun. The Corps in the Ardennes-Luxembourg sector have been hard pressed and may be susceptible to a French attack. Further south most of the German reserves have been used up and the line remains weak, but the French have obviously withdrawn units towards Picardy also.

There seem to be five possible objectives but only one can be assaulted with any credible chance of success. The offensive could (1) continue over Somme to the coast near Rouen, (2) turn SW over the Somme and towards the gates of Paris itself, (3) assault the BEF in Calais, (4) deny the port of Dunkirk to British reinforcements, and isolate the French Army in Ostend, or (5) make a direct assault on the French in Ostend.

Crossing the Somme would present the very real risk of the German spearheads being cut-off. Taking Dunkirk would certainly delay British deployment, but surely the large French force in Ostend will fallback on Dunkirk? Assaulting the BEF may succeed and secure the Somme riverline but we need to approach Paris fast.

Attachments
WF_1410.jpg
WF_1410.jpg (144.86 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

As October ends, I decide to advance across the Somme to the apparently undefended coast. A temporary shortage of artillery ammunition means that a direct assault on a fixed position would be costly at best!

In the event, one German Corps reaches the coast unopposed, but the French in Ostend holdfast, and it is the British who secure Dunkirk for the TE. The French seem to be concentrating for a counterattack east and north-east of Paris with the intention of advancing from the Marne and across the Somme. This really could be a significant threat which would reopen communications with the British and French units in the 'Picardy pocket'. However, with Dunkirk secured these units can be readily supplied through the port and Germany has not the naval strength to intervene.

It's fairly quiet everywhere else, although Austria attempted to chase the defeated Russian Corps near Krakow back over the frontier but met with a repulse. Near Lemberg though, a sally against a Russian Corps much battered by artillery does lead to a moderate success and an advance towards Lublin.

The Turks get organised and move into the Caucasus mountains to make contact with the Russian frontier posts. More significantly, the German General Sanders makes an advance with 2 Ottoman Corps across Sinai and up to the Suez Canal. Is Cairo wide open?

Attachments
WF_1411.jpg
WF_1411.jpg (166.44 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

In game terms, turn 3 (November-December 1914) is about to begin and yet so much has happened already! Now the season is classed as autumn and the number of combat impulses is reduced from 3 to 2. There are no other effects on movement on land, by rail or at sea.

The German offensive through Belgium into northern France may look spectacular, but in truth it represents little, especially with the TE able to transfer units by rail along internal lines (being 'inside the curve their expenditure of rail points will be less than ours travelling around the outside), and with the TE enclave behind our Front around Dunkirk.

It would be tempting to continue recklessly towards Paris but I'm going to hold back and attempt to break the expected French counterattack along the Somme, while wearing down the units in Dunkirk and Ostend with artillery, lots of it!

The CP need to do something more effective in the East too. The Russian build-up looks ominous but again allowing them to expend blood and materiel in hopefully futile attacks on our lines would seem to be the best policy until the spring, by which time we should have expanded our forces and be ready to attack to pinch out Warsaw. Also, if Romania joins the TE, I want to be able to mount a quick attack there and gain the fertile Danube plain and it's food stocks.

In Serbia, the Caucasus and Palestine, a cautious advance would seem advisable, although I may attempt to take 'Kuwait' (which curiously is an abstracted representation of the British Empire East of Suez, and is labelled 'India') which would forestall a British advance on Basra.

Strategic decisions: I research trenches, and try to improve relations with Italy which is showing disquieting signs of joining the TE. The German economy is satisfactory but it could do more with increased raw materials. I buy an even spread of military 'refits', not enough for extra air squadrons though. Austria's economy is expanding painfully slowly! I let her keep her slight excess in raw material stocks in the hope she can use this herself. If not I'll use rail to ship it to Germany. Austria gets just a bit extra artillery ammo and an offensive stockpile (HQ refit). The economy of Turkey is almost non-existent but it has some raw materials. If Bulgaria enters the war then we can ship those west to Germany if our military use of the rail network permits. Turkey just gets some trench materials.

At Sea, no change except Germany sends out a blockade runner into the Atlantic to literally 'test the waters'. It'll probably be a suicide mission but if it succeeds it could bring in valuable food and raw materials from still neutral USA. Also, its foray will force Britain to maintain a naval presence in the Atlantic at some expense.

There are still plenty of replacements and reservists to bring most of the depleted German Corps in the threatened Somme sector back up to full strength. Those in Alsace cannot be helped. Austria brings its Corps facing the Russians back up to strength, but there's none to spare for the Serbian front. Turkey has not yet been engaged.

Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

I am surprised to discover our blockade runner has evaded the British Navy. Maybe winter weather had something to do with it? We will see what rewards that brings.

On the Western Front both sides seem to be digging in and reorganising in the north, but the French deliver an ill-conceived attack from Belfort in the far south near the Swiss frontier, which is repulsed with catastrophic loss. Germany pounds Dunkirk and Ostend with artillery preparatory to an assault in December.

The Prussian front is quiet with both sides digging in where they stand which leaves Russia with a belt of forest and marsh SE of Konigsberg which remains under threat. But on the Galician front the Russians win the most convincing victory of the war to date. Their offensive was well worth the wait! In a well supported triple pronged attack, taking advantage of Austria's (now seemingly rash) advance towards Lublin, the Russians capture three key points in the line; Lemberg, Czernowitz and Tarnopol, and destroy one Austrian Corps in Czernowitz leaving that sector defended only by Cavalry. Can the Russians link-up with Serbia? Will this encourage Romania to join the TE, and discourage Bulgaria from joining the CP?

Serbia and the Caucasus are quiet, but General Sanders cannot resist making a drive on Cairo. Incredibly Cairo is insignificantly defended and falls easily. Turkey now threatens the naval dockyards at Alexandria, and thus the whole grip of the TE navies on the Eastern Mediterranean!

Here's the very fluid Galician Front in November 1914.

Attachments
GF_1411.jpg
GF_1411.jpg (168.72 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

December brings catastrophe and triumph alike to both sides.

In the West the German assault on the French in Ostend succeeds (see screenshot) at reasonable cost, resulting in the destruction of 3 French Corps and Artillery, and the surrender of Belgium.

There's still no counterattack over the Somme but the French again launch a major offensive in the south, this time from Nancy, and although turned back the cost to our defence is severe. French artillery are inflicting casualties all along our line. We must dig deeper!

In the East, Austria successfully counterattacks at Lemberg and retakes the town, destroying one Russian Corp in the process. Three Corps, Artillery, and an HQ are withdrawn from Serbia and garrisoned in southern Galicia but the Russians fail to come forward from Czernowitz.

In Prussia, another Russian success! Two Cavalry Corps scouting ahead of the Russian positions in the forests south of Konigsberg are pinned and smashed by Russian artillery. We really must shore up the East and fast. Hindenberg is reinforced with artillery and 3 more Corps near Breslau preparatory for an offensive on Lodz in the Spring.

Elsewhere exhausted troops watch each other warily but there's no movement.

Attachments
WF_1412.jpg
WF_1412.jpg (166.38 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

January-February 1915, being winter months, will have just 1 combat impulse. Both sides need the respite.

Germany continues to research improved trenches and artillery, and to flatter Italy. Trade via the North Atlantic brought in some additional food, and raw materials. The food is especially welcome because for the first time Germany consumes more food than she produces. Time to risk a few more ships on blockade running? Spending is fairly evenly spread. Austria's flagging economy produces only enough for some trench engineering and artillery load-outs. Austria has also eaten more than it grew. Turkey fares even worse and spends on naval support only.

Germany maintains its naval presence in the Baltic. The U-boat fleet has now doubled with earlier orders coming off the production line, and all 4 U-boat flotilla are ordered to the Atlantic. They will be joined by more merchant shipping hoping to evade the British Navy again. All this naval activity costs of course, and diminishes spending on land and air. Since the Turks are in no position to advance beyond Cairo for logistical reasons, there seems no point in risking Austrian naval units in the Eastern Mediterranean, and especially not until Turkish units can collaborate there.

The ready pool of CP replacements has been exhausted and so there no rehabilitation of any depleted Corps. But Germany gets 3 freshly raised Corps, and an artillery unit. Austria gets artillery alone. There's no expansion of the Ottoman forces. Germany stashes stockpiles; 1 in the West and 1 in the East, which also receives a newly formed air squadron.

With the Galician Front somewhat restored (see screenshot) the primary objectives in January/February will be to occupy the new proposed trenchline, and to kick the BEF out of Dunkirk.

Attachments
GF_1501.jpg
GF_1501.jpg (184.82 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

Return to “After Action Reports”