Mig 21 downs MIC darling...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Mig 21 downs MIC darling...

Post by Rusty1961 »

https://www.businesstoday.in/current/ec ... 24025.html

Plus, its new of helmet mounted sight and high-off-boresight R-73 air-to-air missiles turned the MiG-21 into a "Great Equaliser" in the WVR (within visual range) combat scenario. (The Vympel's ability to rapidly scan a wider angle of the sky in front of it gave Varthaman a huge advantage against his F-16 rival.)

This has serious implications for modern aircraft armed with powerful long range capabilities and weapons. At some stage these aircraft will have to come within visual range and that's when pocket rockets like the MiG-21 can be deadly. As Benjamin Lambeth of the Rand Corporation so succinctly put its, "In visual combat everybody dies at the same rate."

I'm sure the F35 is up to the job of dogfighting given how good the Falcon did.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Rusty1961

RE: Mig 21 downs MIC darling...

Post by Rusty1961 »

Never thought I'd see the term "Huge advantage" with "Mig-21" and "F-16". Gen 2 vs. Gen. 3.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

It sounds like the time when the mama cat brought home a baby chipmunk for the kittens to play with. The chipmunk attacked one of the kittens and the mama cat swatted it. Mama did not kill it, it just let it know not to mess with the kittens.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

That article looks like fake news,

it implies Pakistan stroke India, and an F-16 got shot

as far as the world knows, this was an Indian attempt to air strike Kashmir, in retaliation for some terrorist attack that killed 400 soldiers
and the only plane shot down was Wing Commander Varthaman's Mig-21 ... by an F-16 ;)

Mig-21s is a good old design, but after so many decades, it is second or third line at most
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

That article looks like fake news,

<snip>

Mig-21s is a good old design, but after so many decades, it is second or third line at most

Yeah pretty random conclusions. No expert - no qualifications.

Hard to compare or better still "definitively project future outcomes" of next gen fighters and equipment based upon border skirmish in India Pakistan.

Hard to project even the same out of 2nd or 3rd line equipment.

US Command Control ? AWACs? Satellites ? Anti Missile defense systems? Number of hours flying / training differentials ? TRACOM equivalent in modern day ? Computer based tactical training systems ? Russian equivalent of above ?

I think in fairness even the Arab Israeli Wars proved the same in back in the day - don't use such results empirically.

Back then the pilot made much more of the total package than perhaps today's timeframe. Odd nuanced enhancements such as '6 mirrors' came out of the analysis - but in no way could you project similar outcomes in every situation.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Most of the time, the better pilot wins in a dog fight.
The Mig-21 and the F-16 are not that far apart in performance.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

From several Indian nationals I've talked to, they call their Mig-21's "flying coffins" because they crash so much, killing the pilots.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Oh look, talking about dogfighting in modern fighter aircraft again. Dogfighting is essentially irrelevant for the US military. It is a thing of the past. There are no modern dogfights. Get over it. Modern weapons and therefore aircraft are designed to win from beyond the horizon, and the technology enables this.

What we have here, in addition to poor reporting, is a failure to understand modern warfare. +1 to all the "this is a special circumstance, you shouldn't extrapolate anything from this" comments so far. Glad to see there are some level heads present.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: Gregg

No, a closer equivalent would be F5 to Mig21 or F16 to Mig29

and India is now showing a piece of an AMRAAM missile, which means the fight was likely beyond visual range. If this is not another fake news development, then an AMRAAM capable F16 would be better than most Soviet era planes (that includes Mig29s unless R77 capable)

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

retaliation for some terrorist attack that killed 400 soldiers

Not that its much better, but it was 40 not 400.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
US87891

Post by US87891 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Oh look, talking about dogfighting in modern fighter aircraft again. Dogfighting is essentially irrelevant for the US military. It is a thing of the past. There are no modern dogfights. Get over it. Modern weapons and therefore aircraft are designed to win from beyond the horizon, and the technology enables this.

What we have here, in addition to poor reporting, is a failure to understand modern warfare. +1 to all the "this is a special circumstance, you shouldn't extrapolate anything from this" comments so far. Glad to see there are some level heads present.
Yes, failure to understand modern warfare is, indeed, a pervasive problem. Much of the problem stems from the perception that since a thing is more modern, it must be more better. Any military professional knows what that perception is worth. As to the relevance of "dogfighting" to modern military aircraft, I would refer you to the multiple Requests for Information, series DARPA-SN-17/18, particularly SN-18-08, 18-26, resulting from the experiences of USAF/IAF joint exercises (Red Flag, Blue Flag, Pitch Black, Cope India), wherein the Israeli IAF and, especially, the Indian IAF showed that judicious tactical innovation made WVR engagement not only possible, but also extremely deadly to high-value, stand-off, air assets, to the great consternation of USAF-ATTO.

The internet amateur war gaming community may not be talking about dogfighting anymore, but DoD, DARPA, USAF, USN, USMC sure as hell are.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Gregg

So a Mig 21 driver will ghost a F35 driver, right?
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Yeah, they said the same thing in Vietnam that is why they didn't bother putting cannons on the phantoms deployed to VN. Then, ,after getting their asses kicked in A2A they started putting cannon pods on the phantoms.

Bartender whatever Lokasenna is having give me a double.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: US87891

Yes, failure to understand modern warfare is, indeed, a pervasive problem. Much of the problem stems from the perception that since a thing is more modern, it must be more better. Any military professional knows what that perception is worth. As to the relevance of "dogfighting" to modern military aircraft, I would refer you to the multiple Requests for Information, series DARPA-SN-17/18, particularly SN-18-08, 18-26, resulting from the experiences of USAF/IAF joint exercises (Red Flag, Blue Flag, Pitch Black, Cope India), wherein the Israeli IAF and, especially, the Indian IAF showed that judicious tactical innovation made WVR engagement not only possible, but also extremely deadly to high-value, stand-off, air assets, to the great consternation of USAF-ATTO.

The internet amateur war gaming community may not be talking about dogfighting anymore, but DoD, DARPA, USAF, USN, USMC sure as hell are.

I would also bring up that The Elf sure did seem quite "current" with respect dog fighting … and I don't think he got that from a Clancy novel. That would seem to support your assertion that the "pros" study this seriously.
Pax
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

No matter the have fancy the gadgets, it all comes down to the person operating them and their Mark I eyeball. Sometimes we still have to throw stones or their modern equivalent.

&#8213; Julia Child

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I suspected this to be the case, very interesting. I'll look into those documents. I actually have fun going through various RFIs for the military to get an inkling of what they are thinking/planning. Been reading up on the FFG(x) program lately.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

This is very interesting information.

I am certainly no expert - an internet amateur - reading random samples of Jane's / Economist / BBC etc etc. [:D]

So please do not think this is a criticism.

However I would point out that the "entire purpose of these exercises" is to study 'close range combat' verses BVR (beyond visual range) combat and underlying strategic and tactical implications.

Further to test how / when / what Information Superiority is required to project force given jamming, counter jamming, sigint, BVR capability, line of sight helmet technology, etc. I do believe Information Superiority is a modern strategic concern.

My response - i.e.'minor exception to' in the original post is 'projecting concrete facts / scenerio outcome / identifying systemic strength or weakness of all future encounters based on a Pakistani - Indian incident in a minor border skirmish and applying the logic defacto to next generation capability gaps ala F35

[8D]

Simply whether BVR or Close Combat is superior / necessary /inescapable - the results of this skirmish cannot be extrapolated defacto.

We learned this from Vietnam (as noted above), from Arab Israeli combats, from the Gulf War, from Koskova (spelling) etc.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Sometimes it is best to eyeball the target. The Soviet Union did not do that to a Korean Airliner in the early 1980s and that was one of many factors that almost lead to a shooting war in Europe.

&#8213; Julia Child

Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Oh look, talking about dogfighting in modern fighter aircraft again.

Yet you felt some insatiable need to comment on this thread. Why is that?

Every thread I start finds you urinating and defecating like your some German shepherd dog waiting for that last trip to the vet for "nighty-night"

Bitch and moan, moan and bitch.

If you really can't restrain yourself go ahead and just don't contribute to the thread, Mr. Complainer, or better yet put me on hide.

You have zero expertise in this area and I know I get very tired of your constant trolling.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Oh look, talking about dogfighting in modern fighter aircraft again.

Yet you felt some insatiable need to comment on this thread. Why is that?

Every thread I start finds you urinating and defecating like your some German shepherd dog waiting for that last trip to the vet for "nighty-night"

Bitch and moan, moan and bitch.

If you really can't restrain yourself go ahead and just don't contribute to the thread, Mr. Complainer, or better yet put me on hide.

You have zero expertise in this area and I know I get very tired of your constant trolling.

Since there are no merits to your two rage-induced follow-up posts, I can't respond to them further.

I'll just say that you calling me a troll is ironic. Have a care and go read your posts (and mine if you like) for actual cases of abuse that has been leveled. Any honest accounting is going to come out awful one-sided.

If you don't want me to respond to your senseless, breathless drivel - then don't post it here.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”