Barbarroja - New Wargame -

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Red2112

Barbarroja - New Wargame -

Post by Red2112 »

It´s only multiplayer but look´s interesting...

Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/852650/Barbarroja/?snr=1_4_4__135&curator_clanid=718735

Red
redcoat

RE: Barbarroja - New Wargame -

Post by redcoat »

It was reviewed on The Wargamer the other day:

https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/barbarroja/

The developer's next game is going to be about the Spanish Civil War.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

Very interesting might be worth the pick up.[:)]
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I picked up Russian Front by HexWar a while back. The graphics and interface were nice, but gameplay was bad. No airstrikes, at all. Very odd. I wasn't impressed.

I did pick up Barbarroja after reading Bill Gray's review. Yes, it doesn't have AI but lends itself well to solitaire play where you play both sides. Like I and many others used to do with boardgames. The OOBs look pretty good, yes there are airstrikes, and there are leaders. Overall pretty good from what I've seen so far. The graphics and interface could really use a tune-up.

I'm thinking if Russian War and Barbarroja could be combined (at least in theory), throw in an AI, then that would be awesome. I really like the scale and scope of these operational games that don't overwhelm you with too much micromanagement. [8D]
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
JReb

Post by JReb »

Be interesting to see what the sales numbers are considering the accepted notion that these type of games won't sell without an AI component.

I didn't see a lot of info on the game's modeling of command / supply / airstrikes / weather / etc..
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Yes, it doesn't have AI but lends itself well to solitaire play where you play both sides. Like I and many others used to do with boardgames. The OOBs look pretty good, yes there are airstrikes, and there are leaders. Overall pretty good from what I've seen so far. The graphics and interface could really use a tune-up.

My thoughts as well. Some of us do play boardgames "solo" for each side. In this case no mess on the table or set-up, sort of like "World in Flames", you play both sides [:)]

You do have the advantage to play multiplayer, so that´s a added bonus.

Just my thoughts though.

Red
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have had a pretty good look at this game and the rules. Looks pretty much like a 'Russian Campaign' (very old boardgame) port to PC with a bit of chrome added.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... n-campaign

I think I will be picking it up eventually.

Be nice if they expanded it to make a WWII in Europe game using the same scale and system.

Edit: I never play the AI, only multiplayer so the lack of AI is of no consequence to me.
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I have had a pretty good look at this game and the rules. Looks pretty much like a 'Russian Campaign' (very old boardgame) port to PC with a bit of chrome added.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... n-campaign

I think I will be picking it up eventually.

Be nice if they expanded it to make a WWII in Europe game using the same scale and system.

Edit: I never play the AI, only multiplayer so the lack of AI is of no consequence to me.
Europe theater would be nice to see.
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I'm thinking of getting it as well. I played World in Flames Eastern Front scenario against myself, and it was probably the best EF experience I've ever had. Of course, I completely ignored naval, and with so many phases per turn, you tend to forget what your "other" self did the previous turn.

This one is much simpler, but I like you can generate a scenario and put down your own units, by golly!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I'll stick with L2's Russia Besieged.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
I'll stick with L2's Russia Besieged.

Yes, and I've got the latest Russia Besieged Deluxe Edition from Compass Games, which really is nothing more than an improved advanced version of the original AH game The Russian Campaign. Which I played the heck out of back in the day. Just a basic fun Eastern Front operational wargame.

The burning question is WHY nobody ever developed a decent computer game adaptation of this classic wargame at this scale and scope? Everything has to be more complicated and complex like Grigsby's War in the East, or Schwerpunkt's Russo-German War, or others, going down to division level (or lower) and adding more detail and micromanagement because, heck, you can add all that stuff to a computer game. But it doesn't make it fun, IMHO. Something to play and replay over and over.

So kudos to the developers of Barbarroja. It's a nice start. Perhaps they will get some support to upgrade the graphics, user interface, documentation, etc., and add an AI. The core game itself is nice. It brings back a lot of fond memories of TRC over the years.
Bill Macon
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I actually talked to the L2 guys when the BPA was in Lancaster. They had two versions of RC along with RB. I knew the former, having owned and played it since the day it came out. But I bought the latter. Far more accurate OOB being one of the reasons.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I agree with you 100% pzgndr. However
improved advanced version of the original AH game The Russian Campaign

You may not realize the original Russian Campaign was actually bought by AH from an Australian game company/designer called Jedko games.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Russian war by Hexwar is crap, good graphics but poor game mechanics. Which is unfortunate, as there are not many operational eastern front games for android.
Barbarroja looks interesting if you want to relax a bit playing something not as complicated as WitE. Only thing I miss from reading the manual on their website is that there seems to be no degrading of Axis logistics when moving deeper into Russia or more generally if Axis/Sovs advance quickly? Has someone already bought the game and can comment how that ibfluences the game flow?
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Russian war by Hexwar is crap, good graphics but poor game mechanics. Which is unfortunate, as there are not many operational eastern front games for android.
Barbarroja looks interesting if you want to relax a bit playing something not as complicated as WitE. Only thing I miss from reading the manual on their website is that there seems to be no degrading of Axis logistics when moving deeper into Russia or more generally if Axis/Sovs advance quickly? Has someone already bought the game and can comment how that ibfluences the game flow?
Yeah the $6.99 one in the google play store, yeah that one crap. i agree,
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

I played several starts over the weekend covering the first 2-3 turns. Yes, it's possible to game the Axis moves to advance much too quickly. Some observations:

1. You have unrestricted move/combat to allow armies to move/attack to destroy defenders, eliminating the ZOC, and allowing another army to pass through to attack further on. Units only get 1 combat, but they can move, attack, and move some more if they have MP remaining. So, it's possible to take Riga and Minsk on first turn, and seems OK. But...

2. Following the move/combat phase is reinforcement/replacement phase and then rail movement. So Turn 2 reinforcements actually show up in Turn 1, with free rail move. To anywhere. So if you open the rail line to Minsk, those reinforcements can go to Minsk. Plus, you get another 6 rail moves for units on rail lines. Doesn't matter if they already moved/attacked, they get to rail move. To Minsk, for example.

3. Supply is generally OK, but not tied to rail lines, and certainly not tied to rail lines controlled at start of turn. This fails to hamper an Axis advance. You get the idea.

IMHO, a few revisions would be helpful.

1. Change the turn sequence. Put reinforcement/replacement first, followed by rail movement, and then followed by move/attack and only for units that did not rail move.

2. Restrict rail movement to only rail lines controlled at start of turn. There's a nice graphic for the front line, but it changes as you move forward. Another static line for controlled areas at start of turn would be nice for reference.

3. Full supply should be restricted to hexes within a limited range of rail lines or hexes controlled at start of turn. It could get more complicated with railroad conversion rules, but Keep It Simple.

I was also initially impressed with Russian Front by HexWar, then disappointed by the gameplay, then optimistic that the developers might make some revisions, and then disappointed again when they failed to do anything. WTF? I fear we may be in the same cycle, again. Sure would be nice if someone developed decent computer adaptations of TRC/Russia Besieged, or Afrika Korps, or other AH classics...

Bill Macon
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Sure would be nice if someone developed decent computer adaptations of TRC/Russia Besieged, or Afrika Korps, or other AH classics...

We live in eternal hope....

Every port I have seen fails to deliver, EIA being one of the worst experiences ever.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Thank you for your detailed reply pnzgndr!
It seems the rules need some improvement in the details then!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

You knocked it out of the park on Empire in Arms, Michael. I can't believe I spent $50 on it.

If Matrix could make Barbarroja a WitE lite, it would be nice. The counters are so tiny, but that's easy to fix. The Wargamer review was pretty kind. But if you have high difficulty/FoW on and play your Russian turn before bed, it's likely you'll forget what your other half (the Germans) did. That or a rudimentary AI.

One thing no one mentioned (which is why I bought it), is Barbarroja has a huge map as your canvas. You can change front lines, objective points and place any or all Corps units and reinforcements from '41-45 and create your own scenario or campaign. I'd guess about 70-80 units per side maxed out. Try creating a clean slate like that with WitE. And it's only $20 [;)]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I've had some time to mess with this game some more. I really got annoyed with the Spanish names so I did some text editing. Attached zip file has a couple of .dat files that players can substitute in their game folder. For me, that's at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Barbarroja, and I run from the PC hard drive and not Steam. Not sure how to post screenshots and files on the Steam forum.

The game still has its issues and development appears to be stalled. What else is new? However, if I manage to handicap myself a bit and not take too much advantage of the AI mistakes then it plays OK. I love the scale and scope; this one needs a little more work but it's a fun Russian Campaign game.

Attachments
Barbarroja..TextMod.zip
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Barbarroja2.jpg
Barbarroja2.jpg (590.24 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Bill Macon

Return to “General Discussion”