From: The Land Downunder
With regards to #3, Andy once made a database patch that fixed it. This patch is separate from the one in Tech Support, but I can no longer find it. Instead, I mimic it by modifying scenario data to have device 1467 upgrade to 1468. Otherwise a significant % of the Jap radar are effectively useless.
With that single modification, scenario 1 Jap radar becomes:
1460(41/12,25,25) => 1461(42/3,45,20) => 1462(42/7,48,25) => 1463(42/10,48,35) => 1464(43/1,75,45) => 1465(43/1,145,45)
1467(41/12,25,10) => 1468(42/7,70,50) => 1469(45/6,100,50)
1470(41/12,25,10) => 1471(42/3,78,45)
1473(41/12,25,10) => 1474(42/6,70,30) => 1475(43/10,100,50)
Do note that range is limited to the hex itself, extra range translates into extra detect chances rather than detecting inbound from further out.
I've just scrolled through the database on Scenario 1 v220.127.116.11b. I may have missed a patch over the last few years, but in this version/scenario:
1. IJAAF ## Base Forces, all IJA AA Regts and "Defense" AA Bns seem to all follow the radar upgrade path leading to Ta-Chi 7 radars: 1460(41/12,25,25) => 1461(42/3,45,20) => 1462(42/7,48,25) => 1463(42/10,48,35) => 1464(43/1,75,45) => 1465(43/1,145,45)
2. JAAF AF Bns seem to all have the #1467 Sound Detector device which doesn't upgrade (unless you edit the data file). I'm not sure that's an "error" as historically up to 4 x JAAF Bns were typically subordinate to each JAAF Base Force (i.e. Air Sector HQ) and those units will upgrade to receive a radar.
Also, quick google research shows the Ta-Chi 13 to be an "Aircraft Guidance System" rather than an Early Warning Device, so perhaps it was more like a navigation aid for friendly aircraft?
I personally won't choose to edit the data file based on the above. I'm happy for now just knowing that the JAAF AF Bns won't get their own radar and I need to deploy them accordingly, but I am about to check if I've got the latest beta!
3. [Place name] JAAF Base Forces follow this path to get Ta-Chi 6 radars: 1470(41/12,25,10) => 1471(42/3,78,45)
4. IJN Base Forces and all JNAF AF Units follow this path to get Type 2 then Type 3 radars: 1473(41/12,25,10) => 1474(42/6,70,30) => 1475(43/10,100,50)
5. Note that "Independent" IJA AA Bns and a few IJN Special Base Forces, Static Base Forces and Kure/Yokosuka Base Forces don't have a radar device slot in their TOE.
Summary for Mike if he wasn't already aware, is that by 3/42 the Army units (less JAAF AF Bns) can start upgrading to real radars. IJN units get radars from 6/42.
Follow the Sapper