Wish List

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Rasputitsa

Wish List

Post by Rasputitsa »

Not a very good image, as taken from a Kindle Reader, but would not this map work very well with the CotD system.

The roads, the towns, the rivers, would make a very good basis for a series of Peninsular War scenarios.

Introducing fortifications and garrison units from Frank's ACW game would add to the realism.

Here is the British General Beresford after the Battle of Albuera - 1811, where losses were very high after defending against Soult. The battle ending in a draw, but Soult later withdrew.

Quote :

I feel much for the number we have lost and I thank you for what you state; but I freely confess to you I can scarcely forgive myself for risking this battle, and I as freely confess that it was very unwise, and I am convinced that I ought not to have done it.

Dempsey, Guy. Albuera 1811: The Bloodiest Battle of the Peninsular War Kindle Edition.

Isn't that just how you feel when you have made a damaging decision in CotD over which battle stance to choose. Perhaps he should have chosen 'withdraw' instead of 'defend', but the game puts you in just that position, as experienced by the actual commanders of the time.

It just makes you hope for more.
Attachments
SpainMap.jpg
SpainMap.jpg (118.2 KiB) Viewed 160 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
stewcrisp

RE: Wish List

Post by stewcrisp »

This is the best operational game of this period I have ever played and in my opinion it is a gaming tragedy that it has not been used for other campaigns and conflicts of the 18th/19th centuries.The uncertainty of your decisions and where they may lead makes me admire the Wellingtons and Napoleons all the more.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: stewcrisp

This is the best operational game of this period I have ever played and in my opinion it is a gaming tragedy that it has not been used for other campaigns and conflicts of the 18th/19th centuries.The uncertainty of your decisions and where they may lead makes me admire the Wellingtons and Napoleons all the more.

Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately it seems to have gone very quite on the development side. I do hope that there is more too come.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

I wish we have something like Field of Glory: Empires. But just the tactical aspect where players have control over the battles. The overall game should be strictly operational like CotD: no economy or construction.

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”