Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 4:17:18 PM   
DonCzirr

Any suggestions on a book with most / all of these properties ?

- WWI (whole war and all fronts)

- Covering the Military Strategic Perspective - less emphasis on individual battle analysis and more about how the battles

impacted the armies and the fronts overall.

- Battle maps that showed how developments / battles moved the front lines

- Not focused on individual soldier stories / civilian impact

Reading this to myself, it sounds like a heavily annotated battle atlas may do the trick.

I would appreciate to hear from my fellow Grogs however before just Amazon surfing ....

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Post #: 1
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 4:50:49 PM   
altipueri

Liddell Hart's History of the First World War
AJP Taylor The Struggle for Mastery in Europe 1848-1918 as background.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 2
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 4:58:20 PM   
VPaulus

The First World War One - John Keegan
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8914.The_First_World_War

1914-1918: The History of the First World War - David Stevenson
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1511444.1914_1918

The First World War - Hew Strachan
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96404.The_First_World_War

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 3
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 5:00:27 PM   
VPaulus

I also endorse AJP Taylor's The Struggle for Mastery in Europe 1848-1918.
I suggest you to read this before reading any WWI book.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 4
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 5:02:29 PM   
Aurelian

https://www.amazon.com/Cataclysm-First-World-Political-Tragedy-ebook/dp/B009W6VNIG/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1550858520&sr=1-3&keywords=cataclysm+the+first+world+war+as+political+tragedy

Either you love bacon or you're wrong.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 5
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 6:22:58 PM   
Randomizer

I would endorse Cataclysm, possibly the most insightful single volume history of the war and add:

A World Undone: the Story of the Great War 1914-1918 by G.J. Meyer and;

The Pity of War: Explaining World War One by Niall Ferguson.

Like some here I grew up with Keegan, Taylor, Liddell Hart and Tuchman et al but now find them incomplete and lacking balance given the vast amounts of documentation and accounts from France, Italy, Russia and Germany that has become available since they were published.

-C

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 6
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 9:44:09 PM   
VPaulus

Keegan wrote his WWI volume in 2000 so I don't think it's very incomplete, but I admit that he doesn't bring anything new to the theme, at least when compared with Niall Ferguson.
But to start reading about WWI with Ferguson, IMHO, it's not a good idea.
I've never read Cataclysm, but now I'm really curious as I've enjoyed reading Stevenson's previous work.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 7
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/22/2019 10:26:48 PM   
Randomizer

I agree that Keegan's The First World War brings nothing new to the table and the incisive analysis that one often finds in his works is almost entirely absent. Perusing the Notes section it's easy to see why as there is an almost total lack of references that are not the British Public Records Office, Edmunds, Terraine, Horne, Cruttwell, Mackasey, Spears, Stone and C. Falls etc. Given that all are exclusively British sources it should be no surprise that this volume is merely a rehash of older works and the limited use of sources from other nations is perplexing. It's almost as if he got some acolytes to ghost write the book because he needed the cash or something. Certainly not up to Face of Battle quality. That said, he is one of the few mainstream British Great War historians to make use of Gerhard Ritter's The Schlieffen Plan: Critique of a Myth.

I do not know how I neglected to include The Great War 1914-18 by Peter Hart but as a one volume general history it's quite complete. Anything WW1 related by Peter Hart is a good read.

-C

< Message edited by Randomizer -- 2/22/2019 10:27:26 PM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 8
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/23/2019 12:15:30 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer
Certainly not up to Face of Battle quality.

Couldn't agree more. Still, I think as an introduction to the theme, it's a good read.

quote:

I do not know how I neglected to include The Great War 1914-18 by Peter Hart but as a one volume general history it's quite complete. Anything WW1 related by Peter Hart is a good read.

I haven't read his one volume account of the war, but if it's like all his other books that I've read, it's filled with individual accounts, which DonCzirr would like to avoid.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 9
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/23/2019 1:13:34 AM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

I haven't read his one volume account of the war, but if it's like all his other books that I've read, it's filled with individual accounts, which DonCzirr would like to avoid.

True - not because I don't think such things are important and interesting but in this particular case I am trying to get a macro view of the flow of the fronts over time as I am playing a few

different strategic WWI games atm and want to compare the "feel" and "flow" of those games to the historical "big picture"/

Thanks to all for the really great input so far.

The 1848 - 1918 reference made me chuckle a little bit when I saw it - as I came across a BBC TV series of the same stated period today "Fall of Eagles" that features Patrick Stewart as Lenin.

It seems a little dated (free on Youtube) but I simply must see Stewart "engage" as a Bolshevik

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 10
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/23/2019 8:16:35 PM   
RFalvo69

One problem I generally found in foreign WWI books is the total absence of the Italian front. I can buy a book from an Italian historian and then "combine" the timelines in my mind - but it would be interesting to read an in-depth perspective by British, French and/or American scholars every then and now.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 11
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/23/2019 11:06:36 PM   
AndySfromVA

The British had little interest in what was going on with the Italians. Its main conflict was with Germany, although it had longstanding issues with its allies France and Russia as well. Italy's main adversary was Austria Hungary - they were longtime adversaries. Russia and Germany hated each other and Russia and the Ottoman Empire were at odds as well. WWI was the culmination of multiple conflicts that had gone on throughout the 19th century.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 12
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/24/2019 1:17:46 AM   
Capt. Harlock

"The World Crisis", by Winston Churchill
(the good news is, you only need Volumes 1 - 3)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 13
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/24/2019 3:04:34 AM   
nicwb

quote:

The First World War - Hew Strachan
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96404.The_First_World_War

Strachan's book is good but its only a synopsis of a planned larger work. So far he's only published the first volume of the larger work.

quote:

One problem I generally found in foreign WWI books is the total absence of the Italian front. I can buy a book from an Italian historian and then "combine" the timelines in my mind - but it would be interesting to read an in-depth perspective by British, French and/or American scholars every then and now.

Agreed - I suspect Western historians also have a tendency to skate over the war on the Eastern Front (apart from Tannenburg). I think the problem is mostly a barrier of language. All the best first hand source would be in German, Italian and Russian. Any historian would need to be fluent in those to give anything more than a generalised account.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 14
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/24/2019 8:34:05 PM   
Randomizer

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

From 2010, The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919. Goes into great detail on the politics behind Italy joining the Allies and D'Annunzio's Irredentist movement. Presumably the author is fluent in Italian since the bibliography is primarily Italian sources.

quote:

"The World Crisis", by Winston Churchill

When first published one of Churchill's cabinet colleagues told the PM (then David Lloyd George) "Winston's written some big book about how he won the War and he's calling it The World Crisis". The brilliance of the prose hides the many glaring errors of commission and omission. Use with caution.

-C

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 15
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/24/2019 9:27:16 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Keegan wrote his WWI volume in 2000 so I don't think it's very incomplete, but I admit that he doesn't bring anything new to the theme, at least when compared with Niall Ferguson.
But to start reading about WWI with Ferguson, IMHO, it's not a good idea.
I've never read Cataclysm, but now I'm really curious as I've enjoyed reading Stevenson's previous work.

I agree, Stevenson's work is great but as you stated VPaulus, I too am now curious to read Cataclysm.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 16
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/24/2019 9:39:04 PM   
demyansk

Funny, after reading the first few posts went to the library and took out Hew Strachan's book. Whoa, the thing is heavier than a 5 lb weight!!

Also, library had the Stevenson book in the computer but it wasn't on the shelf!!! I hate that, I'll have to go back again. Yes, the Strachan book says volume 1 on it.

One problem, this book is difficult to read due to it being to thick and heavy. Hard to hold with one hand. Now, I don't have to workout. Big, should have two books or read on the kindle. I'll have to check if the library has on file for download.

Any ideas if this book is online?

Also, what's the deal with Strachan's two versions of he book? The one I have is over 1000 pages and the other is 384. This version is 2005 and the one I am reading is from 2001.

https://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-Hew-Strachan/dp/0143035185

< Message edited by demyansk -- 2/25/2019 9:56:04 AM >

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 17
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/25/2019 5:28:57 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

From 2010, The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919. Goes into great detail on the politics behind Italy joining the Allies and D'Annunzio's Irredentist movement. Presumably the author is fluent in Italian since the bibliography is primarily Italian sources.

Thank you for the hint. I found out that it was available for Kindle and I bought it.

My Grandfather fought in WWI. He was promoted up to lieutenant-colonel and battalion commander (promotions were very fast in that war ), won two silver medals and got three Austrian machinegun bullets in the back - all the above when he was 22 years old. Somehow he survived, married and managed to live a normal live until his death in 1946, even if with one of the bullets permanently embedded near his spine.

22 years old. Sometimes I find difficult to wrap my mind around it. And, as many veterans do, he never spoke about the war; nothing, not even (my family told me) about how he won his two medals.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 18
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/25/2019 9:21:28 PM   
nicwb

quote:

Funny, after reading the first few posts went to the library and took out Hew Strachan's book. Whoa, the thing is heavier than a 5 lb weight!!

Also, library had the Stevenson book in the computer but it wasn't on the shelf!!! I hate that, I'll have to go back again. Yes, the Strachan book says volume 1 on it.

One problem, this book is difficult to read due to it being to thick and heavy. Hard to hold with one hand. Now, I don't have to workout. Big, should have two books or read on the kindle. I'll have to check if the library has on file for download.

Any ideas if this book is online?

Also, what's the deal with Strachan's two versions of he book? The one I have is over 1000 pages and the other is 384. This version is 2005 and the one I am reading is from 2001.

The 384 page version is a summary version of the larger book Strachan planned to write. Apparently Strachan had already written Vol 1 of the larger work (your 5lb job) when he was approached about the possibility of a television documentary series on the topic. The result was the 384 page version plus a very good ten-part television documentary.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 19
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/26/2019 12:22:36 AM   
demyansk

Thanks nic for the clarification. I finished 40 pages today, I can read fast and not worried about reading each word or detail. After this book, I want to read the Cataclysm book. I have the Martin Gilbert book on my shelf to plus a pictorial encyclopedia of ww1.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 20
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/27/2019 6:15:06 AM   
JoannYoung

Well, the title is somewhat similar to the shooter battle games. I actually used to play the shooter video game where I need to apply some tips and strategy to win. One can take help from the games like Destiny 2 and COD.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 21
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/27/2019 6:17:29 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoannYoung

Well, the title is somewhat similar to the shooter battle games. I actually used to play the shooter video game where I need to apply some tips and strategy to win. One can take help from the games like Destiny 2 and COD.
warspite1

Thanks JoannYoung - that's a great addition to this WWI book thread.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to JoannYoung)
Post #: 22
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 2/28/2019 5:29:09 PM   
wodin

Best I've read by far as a 1 volume book covering everything about the War has to be Pandora's Box by J Leonhard. Stunning up to date piece of work

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/1/2019 12:14:45 AM   
demyansk

Where is Zak on that little post? Maybe it slipped through. I am not sure I can finish Hews book in the library's allotted time.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 24
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/1/2019 1:30:57 AM   
wodin

Really do hope someone else reads Pandora's Box to back me up. To be honest I don't think I've read a book that's easy to read yet immensely detailed that looks at a period of history at this scale. The chapters on the build up to War look at areas I've never seen broached before. Eye open ing and I'm WW1 obsessive.

Seriously not sure what it doesn't look into.

Was first published in German.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 25
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/1/2019 6:38:00 AM   
DonCzirr

I shall add it to my shopping list with some others mentioned above.

It's becoming apparent to me that the material I am searching for (as described in the original post) does not exist all in one place and without the additional content to sift through.

That's ok - it just means doing a bit of work and a bit more spending to put it all together.

Perhaps someday, such a work will appear .... and then I will gleefully pounce on it ...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 26
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/1/2019 6:53:40 PM   
wodin

Pandora's Box is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 27
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/2/2019 5:56:47 AM   
Technopiper

German High Command at War by Robert Asprey

Like David Glantz, Asprey has a military intelligence background and an insight to the criminal mind. I value that in history studies. "First hand history" are often huge cover-ups by those involved. Asprey is merciless on "the Duo" of Hindenburg-Ludendorf. Very enjoyable read.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 28
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/2/2019 2:55:59 PM   
demyansk

Hi Guys,

I went to the local library again and the Cataclysm book (Stevenson) was supposed to be on the shelf. I checked and checked and decided to go to the desk to help out. He came over to look as well, no luck. The book was checked out in 2004. I reported to the main desk and they will most likely take it off the website as available.

Does anyone have a copy that they don't want or I can just go on Amazon and buy.

Second, what do the local libraries do with this type of situation? Can they go back and try to figure out who had it last? The librarian told me once that they don't keep certain info?

(in reply to Technopiper)
Post #: 29
RE: Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? - 3/2/2019 4:24:47 PM   
matt3916

Interlibrary loan is your friend. The research desk at your local library should be able to help you. I've been using ILL for years.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Book about WWI from Strategic Perspective? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI