Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Still alive and well ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Still alive and well ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Still alive and well ? - 2/21/2019 11:18:54 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hey, I'm glad to see that apparently (??) this game is still alive ! I bought it years ago (probably at or near release) but never been really able to jump in (I haven't played the board game before). BUT I love Napoleonic era and EIA seems a very good game so I'm determined to give it a new go.
1) Where should I start ? Is there a tutorial somewhere (if yes, where ?) ? or let's play videos or whatever ?
2) what about mp games ? Is the mp community active ? easy to find a game for beginners (I guess it's not that easy but asking won't harm ...)?

Very excited to retry the beast !!

Post #: 1
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/21/2019 3:15:10 PM   
76mm

Hi nukkxx

I'm also a beginner and recently got into an MP game. As far as I know, there is a small but active MP community. Best bet is to keep an eye on this forum for games which need more players.

At least for me the learning curve has been fairly steep, although I'm finally getting the hang of things.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/21/2019 3:58:10 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks for this answer. Will try to play it and read the manual ... I didn't see any tutorial but maybe do I need new glasses ?
Hope that soon we can PBEM :-)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/21/2019 4:28:13 PM   
76mm

I don't think there is a tutorial. I found a couple of strategy guides by googling around, but nothing especially useful.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/21/2019 8:17:52 PM   
nukkxx5058

So I guess/hope the manual should help ...
Will check for strategy guides too.
OK thanks :-)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/22/2019 12:02:21 AM   
pzgndr

Welcome back! In the Members Area, under Empires in Arms downloads, there is a PDF tutorial guide to help you navigate the interface. I'm also attaching a copy here. It's a little dated but still useful for getting started.

Please also review the updated user manual for v1.22 (dated 3/20/2018). In addition to corrections and other clarifications since the original manual, there are also player notes and strategy articles in the back. The idea is to maintain all those gems of knowledge from the boardgame experience and help bring new players up to speed. I'll add that the learning curve is steep enough to just figure out "how" to do various game mechanics (e.g., loading troops onto ships to land upon a distant shore, setting a surrender condition after making a DOW, etc.). The manual explains pretty well how to do something.

But the steeper learning curve is figuring out "what" to do with your major power, and every nation has its unique capabilities and limitations. The AI has its weaknesses, but it's good enough for learning the game. My recommendation is to play several short games as each major power and learn as you go. Use the strategy articles as reference. When you are ready, there are pbem games looking to start or adding replacement players. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 6
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/22/2019 6:01:44 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Welcome back! In the Members Area, under Empires in Arms downloads, there is a PDF tutorial guide to help you navigate the interface. I'm also attaching a copy here. It's a little dated but still useful for getting started.

Please also review the updated user manual for v1.22 (dated 3/20/2018). In addition to corrections and other clarifications since the original manual, there are also player notes and strategy articles in the back. The idea is to maintain all those gems of knowledge from the boardgame experience and help bring new players up to speed. I'll add that the learning curve is steep enough to just figure out "how" to do various game mechanics (e.g., loading troops onto ships to land upon a distant shore, setting a surrender condition after making a DOW, etc.). The manual explains pretty well how to do something.

But the steeper learning curve is figuring out "what" to do with your major power, and every nation has its unique capabilities and limitations. The AI has its weaknesses, but it's good enough for learning the game. My recommendation is to play several short games as each major power and learn as you go. Use the strategy articles as reference. When you are ready, there are pbem games looking to start or adding replacement players. Enjoy!

Thank you for this. Very useful and motivating !

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 7
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/22/2019 7:25:53 AM   
nukkxx5058

I found the "Murat tutorial PDF" and I'm particularly impressed by the game, among others the diplomacy which seems very detailed.
Can't remember where this tutorial came from, if I downloaded it or if it was furnished with the game but it allows a good start into the game in my opinion !
Good stuff !!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/22/2019 9:22:25 AM   
nukkxx5058

Guys, it's probably a stupid question but i'm stuck on this screen and can't find any way to move-on. Whereever I click, nothing happens ... help ! thanks !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 9
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/23/2019 3:18:43 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058
Guys, it's probably a stupid question but i'm stuck on this screen and can't find any way to move-on. Whereever I click, nothing happens ... help ! thanks !

You should not be able to select the Outflank chit with a single corps? You need a pinning force of at least 1 corps and then you select 1 or more corps to outflank. Did you update to v1.22 or is this an initial install? I verified the code checks for more than 1 corps to select Outflank, so not sure what is going on here.

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 2/23/2019 3:55:37 PM >

Bill

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 10
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/23/2019 3:21:54 PM   
nukkxx5058

It's 1.22.02
Will install 1.23. Didn't know about it ...
Thanks for your answer !

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 11
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/23/2019 3:48:03 PM   
nukkxx5058

... just that I don't see any link to 1.23 ...

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 12
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/23/2019 3:58:41 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058
... just that I don't see any link to 1.23 ...

Sorry, I've got v1.23 on my mind. v1.22.02 is the latest official release patch, plus there's a hotfix exe update.

So you were playing France and able to pick the Outflank chit as defender with a single corps, in v1.22.02? Very odd.

Bill

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/23/2019 4:06:00 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

So you were playing France and able to pick the Outflank chit as defender with a single corps, in v1.22.02? Very odd.

Yes, definitely.

Just that I don't know for sure if I was defender or attacker (in case it matters). (I'm 100% newb and things are still quite confused)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 14
RE: Still alive and well ? - 2/23/2019 4:08:45 PM   
nukkxx5058

oh right column might be the defender's I guess ...

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Still alive and well ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI