Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Get it on STEAM?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Get it on STEAM? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Get it on STEAM? - 2/21/2019 4:20:59 AM   
spence

So what is STEAM and how does it differ from buying a game, downloading and playing and after a week or so get an actual disk (should I need to download again after a few years). I know I saw something about this before this but I can't find it using the search program.
Post #: 1
RE: Get it on STEAM? - 2/21/2019 5:07:09 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

So what is STEAM and how does it differ from buying a game, downloading and playing and after a week or so get an actual disk (should I need to download again after a few years). I know I saw something about this before this but I can't find it using the search program.

I haven't used Steam but I have used a similar service called Good Old Games or GOG. The idea is that they take the original games and turn them from disk formats to a single file that you can buy and download and install.
All the various coded passwords needed to start the original games has been removed so you can just start the game and play.
You don't need a copy of the game to be sent on disk because you can just save a copy of your downloaded (compressed) game file on a USB drive or other electronic storage. In addition, the game seller will probably have you set up an account and it knows you have bought the game, so if you need to download it again you can do so for free.

EDIT: PS - game manuals and such may be included in the compressed file you download or may be a separate file you download. They may have a user forum where other users have posted hints at game play or work-arounds for any bugs that still exist in the game.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 2/21/2019 5:11:04 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Get it on STEAM? - 2/21/2019 10:55:10 AM   
Trugrit

Read This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

I use it and have not had any problems with it.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Get it on STEAM? - 2/21/2019 1:33:46 PM   
Lecivius

Man, for a minute I thought they had this loaded to Steam, what with the recent sale going on there

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 4
RE: Get it on STEAM? - 2/21/2019 3:14:08 PM   
Trugrit

I’m not sure WITP-AE can be put on Steam.
It is a complicated and expensive computer game. It does not have a revised manual and
It takes a lot of reading comprehension. You really need this forum. Not for casual gamers.

However, Steam is still fairly impressive with around 30,000 games.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/14/steam-changes-2019/

And it is not hard to give it a test run. Easy to set up a free account on Steam.

If anyone wants give it a test run, I recommend they starts with the games Portal and Portal2.
Single Player. You can get both for 15 bucks and they are a lot of fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/620/Portal_2/

Cave Johnson is hilarious!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5
RE: Get it on STEAM? - 2/21/2019 9:20:21 PM   
Lokasenna

They could put it on Steam, it just wouldn't add any functionality... except to track how many hours you've played it. Or left it open while you did the dishes, or slept for the night.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 6
RE: Get it on STEAM? - 2/22/2019 6:10:53 PM   
rustysi

You sleep?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Get it on STEAM? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI