Bye Steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

Bye Steam

Post by MrsWargamer »

I don't hate Steam.

I wasn't a fan in the beginning.
But, when they do something good, they often do it really good.
Like installing a game with many add ons and updates.
Installing my Battle Academy or Panzer Corps is a lot easier via Steam.

But, here, today, I'm done with Steam.
Because when they fail, they usually fail all the way too.
Like with my Civilization V game.

Now I don't know what the problem is, because I ran this game a LOT over the years.
On the desktop and on the laptop.
And today, for reasons I can't fathom, I can install, I think, as I am not sure. But the game simply will not run.
Nope, not a recent update. I haven't updated in like forever. So it isn't my hardware has changed.
I've tried to install through Steam as usual. Nothing.
I've tried to install via my disks. Nothing.
I just tried for the heck of it with disks on my laptop that I took off the internet, and not surprisingly, it won't install to begin with. Must have internet.

Sooo my disks, are without value I suppose.
It's not me griping about the need for the internet connection. Just to be clear.
It's me griping that just owning the disks is valueless.
And contacting Steam for an assist, no, I'm not in a hurry to ask for help from a faceless company.

I've got a stash of Steam keys thanks to the generosity of you guys. But, I wisely buy the product FROM you guys, so I can get useful software in the first place.

I have a stash of Steam-bought games. Most are games I couldn't really care much about.
I won't really miss them.

I won't really miss Steam either.
I don't mind that installing Battle Academy costs me a few dozen mouse clicks to install.
Come on, we're wargamers :) We spend our time clicking a mouse a great deal of times in our seemingly tedious wargames. A tedious install isn't going to bother me.

But I am done with Steam.
I hardly play Civ anymore.
Well, that is, Civ V.
I can still play anything prior to Civilization V. Some of them were quite neat in how they did things.
I still prefer Heroes of Might and Magic 3 too.
Sometimes the latest versions are not the greatest versions.
I often play Steel Panthers III Brigade Combat when I want to play WW2 tactical (so glad I figured out how to get it to cooperate).

New doesn't make a thing better. Often, it just makes it a problem.

Bye Steam.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
zakblood

RE: Bye Steam

Post by zakblood »

the main issues with games, are that sometimes windows updates something, which brakes something else, maybe something as simple as reinstalling the game pre requisites, or uninstalling the game, making sure the game folder is clear and empty and also the doc's folder one if made, making sure you back up any saves you want first, then reinstall, which on steam loads all the pre requisites any way each and every time,

as per this post if your on windows 10 etc and the steam version

Code: Select all

https://windowsreport.com/civilization-5-windows-10/

just DONT download the tool is suggests either or any tbh, as none,. i repeat none are needed, as it's not needed and is just spam and a way it makes money etc, so link and information good, cr@p which comes with it, bad[:(]

most disk versions are a waste of space, as there not up to date and will need to be updated as soon as installed, by the date shown on the installer and your's on the pc, part of a lot of problems with disk and dvd versions, there never the latest ones and will always need to be kept upto date, as most if not all will check on loading if there's a newer version out and some won't even play if the answer is yes, not all, some mind you.

having a online connection is part of the security now days for some games, and a way of keeping it up to date, not just wish updates, but the cr@p most now days wish to spam you with once bought, so not surprised it won't let you install, with no net access, as some games refuse to work without it, but that has to be mentioned on the box before hand, so maybe you either just didn't read it, like i never do, or it's not mentioned so well [:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

If you can't play it even when you install from your discs then it's not a Steam issue.
Probably like Zak told, might be related with some Windows updates.
Try updating your video card drivers.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I just started Civ5 (from Steam) on my 2nd oldest desktop. No problems. I have Win7 on this and updates haven't been available for some time.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Unsure what it could be.

Running Windows 8.1 Not been updated in a couple of years (I never auto update for a reason).
Hardware is old, but runs everything else just fine.

I tried installing from Steam and from disks as well as Steam.
Not sure what the issue might be.
You'd think installing from Steam, would present no issues.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

Try Verifying Integrity of Game Files in Steam.

To do this right click on the game (Civ V) in your Steam library > click Properties > click Local Files > click Verify Integrity of Game Files.

If there is a problem Steam will redownload the files. Let it do that that then try launching the game when it has finished downloading.

I hope this helps.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

Also you should really update Windows 8.1. I know it's a pain but that might well be the reason the game doesn't work any more.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i use windows 10 on everything i own, from a pair of 6 year old desktops for testing, a laptop which is aged about the same but only a dual core chip in it, 2 other pc's one is my server and the other just runs the net and a printer in the summer house and then my main gaming rig and a traveling laptop, which is kind of ok, but not high end, but works for me, so hardware wise, only one new, all the rest are right old donkeys, but all work fine and tbh much quicker with windows 10 on them, and always up to date, aged 52 this year and tbh for me it's the best version of windows for well everything, repairs, re install's, boot time, run time and for pure speed on all sorts of hardware.

had a couple of issues on day one and upto a few months with some older drivers, but nothing that didn't get fixed, and driver aren't a windows issue either, its the hardware makers who were just somewhat slow,...

while i agree it's not everyone cup of tea, no one can take it away, it's stable, it been the most successful of any previous versions, quickest to patch and fix any issues found, and was free to most, so win win for me and all those who i know on it.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

GOG usually works better in this case, most of there games work on most windows versions.

You have IV on sale right now, and there DRM free...
https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_civilization_iv_the_complete_edition

Red
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes must agree, it does work better for older games, as all the updates can be grabbed in one go and then never need to go online again as there auto updater works in the same way kind of to steams auto patcher
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well you can format your HD, sometime there are times to clean up the house. Every time I get an errors or wont launch or even play correctly, I format my drive every year or when it needed badly.

I don't think there a software out there can clean it up well, there always something lurking around in your drives. Its like when you move to another place, clean it up good then set things up.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

"Can't run an empire without luxuries, excellency." Or

"Build more troops so they may sheath their swords in the beating hearts of the enemy"

Can't beat Civ2

--------

I just today bought a refurbed Windows 7 laptop with 40gig for 80 quid and am putting some old games on it. No Stinking Steam.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I ran into issue with the Total war series. I had a lot of 'badges', so I obviously played them. Then one day TW patched one (Rome II). It hard locked my PC every time I started a campaign, the only option was BOB. Same with Shogun II. I was, and still am, seriously bent. It turns out a minor change in the game impacted my Nvidia card. Two years later, Nvidia pushed out a driver that fixed the TW issue.

Point is, lots of weird things happen in the gaming world. I don't like Steam for a LOT of reasons. But not everything can be laid at their doorstep.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

My computer buddy advised to go to Windows 10.

Maybe when I buy a new computer. Sometime after I finish getting married, and finish buying the car and tiny home :) Around 2022. Which will probably be Windows 12 :)

I like Civilization, but, I also tend to play it to death for a month (sometimes just a very long days worth) and then turf it for 6 months or more.
I'm not going to be sad to get forced to play one of my very great many other under-played games :)

I used to format reinstall the OS as a means to clean up the system. I agree, it sure works.
But that was also something I did 15 years ago casually.
I've aged :) I'm not quite the aggressive tech user I once was. I think it has to be connected with passing 50. I just slowed down and stopped caring.

The games that count in my collection, were all bought here :)
I don't have troubles installing serialed no internet required software.
I've gotten a few titles off of GoG as well.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Also some games you gotta watch out for, esp where did you get it? Cant believe it is that cheap or even free, can be embedded software in it to trigger something as well. Even what websites you visit. I am still using the ol' Wins 8.1 here, haven't had any problems in couple of years. Wanted to get the Wins10, but didn't feel like paying a hundred bucks for it, sadly Microsoft never put those OS on sale.

What I do is, once in awhile I get new pc parts or bundle from newegg, sometimes it comes in with free OS.

Now I don't know about GoG, never had problems with them just yet, got some old good games from that site too. Try to stay away from sites like G2A, Direct Gaming, etc. They do steal game keys and sell them much cheaper. Mostly these thieves are Chinese based in Hong Kong. I wouldn't doubt if they tried to black mail you to fix your pc for a price.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Wanted to get the Wins10, but didn't feel like paying a hundred bucks for it
You don't need to pay for it. You can download it for free and install with your Win8 product key/license.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Officially, you stopped being able to download or upgrade your system to Windows 10 on July 29, 2016 for free, that's how it now works, there are work around's, but the way to do them, i won't print but are all over the internet as it's for the assistive technology loop holes
rico21

Post by rico21 »

17 posts to say goodbye to steam, it looks more like a funeral.[:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

where's my cake?

don't you get cake at funerals?

rico21

Post by rico21 »

no, here we drink wine in honor of the deceased, saying secretly that he should have stopped drinking.[:(]

Return to “General Discussion”