Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you play Close Combat?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you play Close Combat? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you play Close Combat? - 2/12/2019 1:31:12 PM   
rico21

Close Combat is my new hobby game series.
I would like to know,
-Which episode do you prefer?
-Do you prefer battles, operations or campaigns?
-What parameters (duration, fow, realism ..) of battles do you prefer?
Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: How do you play Close Combat? - 2/12/2019 2:44:38 PM   
Lobster

Wow. Not played Close Combat games in a coon's age. I have enough of them.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you play Close Combat? - 2/12/2019 2:56:29 PM   
CGGrognard

The Close Combat series has always been my favorite. Coming from board games such as Advanced Squad Leader, the Close Combat games provided a digital experience to board games. For me, I prefer all the episodes for different reasons. So I will list them in the order I prefer and why I like that game. Overall, I prefer the campaigns and different skill settings.

Close Combat III; The Russian Front (Cross of Iron): It includes a promotion system in which you can 'buy' your squads depending on your performance in previous battles.
Close Combat V; Invasion Normandy (The Longest Day): Probably has the most mods available which makes this a must if you want to explore lesser known battles and campaigns.
Close Combat Gateway To Caen: Better graphics and AI for the series.

Speaking of AI, it can be lacking especially in the older games of the series. If it seems too easy, changing the skill levels may help. Pathing, especially for vehicles may seem to be odd at sometimes, but it's important to understand how the game interprets the path you've assigned. The good side, is all these games in this series were built off the original code of the first game in 1996. The Bloody First, will be the first of the series built with new code in 3D, so that will mean better graphics and gameplay.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you play Close Combat? - 2/12/2019 3:33:38 PM   
zakblood

close combat the series is epic, and the latest one, well enough said, as under a NDA

but yes that's epic also

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you play Close Combat? - 2/12/2019 4:49:18 PM   
Alan Sharif

I like to play campaigns, just a personnel thing. I can honestly say I enjoy them all. Get any you don't own, when the price is right.

A Sharif

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you play Close Combat? - 2/14/2019 4:00:16 PM   
x2oop

My favourite was Close Combat III. Mostly for promotion system and for the Eastern Front. Haven't had opportunity to play newer parts of the series than CC:V.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you play Close Combat? - 2/18/2019 7:02:33 AM   
jhyden

Greetings,
I also love the CC game series. I started playing when CC1 first came out and was then published by Microsoft (developed by Atomic Games).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_(video_game)

Microsoft also published a book about CC1, and I remember that was the first time I read about the psychological issues involved in combat. The book also gave hints on how to set up your troops which helped me learn the game.

I bought CC2 when it came out and I remember being impressed with the updated graphics and game play. Back then (late 1990's), there was a gaming forum setup on AOL for CC2 and ended up chatting with this one guy (later I found out he was just 12-13 years old). It turns out he could change some of the weapons by using a spreadsheet (his dad was a programmer). For example, he gave a pistol the firepower of a Cromwell Tank! (laughing) :-) and etc. He also told me that if I would mortar certain buildings (within certain scenarios) there was a good chance of igniting these hidden areas where explosives were setup. He sent me a screenshot of one such explosion. You could even go inside the building, find the 'box' and fire at it and it would go off (eventually).

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

Close Combat is my new hobby game series.
I would like to know,
-Which episode do you prefer?
-Do you prefer battles, operations or campaigns?
-What parameters (duration, fow, realism ..) of battles do you prefer?
Thanks

I recently purchased CCLSA which is an updated version of CC2. I am still exploring the game but really like the way point system (11.4 in manual) and the idea of Night Time Battles (12.2). The game parameters I currently use for Battles:

1. AI = Line Strength
2. Realism Ratings = Nothing Checked
3. Battle Ends = "With all Objectives Taken" checked

I plan on playing a grand campaign as the Germans and will gradually increase the difficulty of the AI with each new campaign.

If you just want to play a quick game or want to explore/test a specific feature (like if you start getting ideas for game tactics) then a battle is a good choice. For example, I watched this video on "Steam" about CCLSA and I began to get ideas for tactics. That's when I decided to buy the game.

If you are brand new to the game, the key to playing is coordinating your infantry teams and/or infantry teams with armor support to accomplish a single goal.. like take a building or area. Use multiple teams of men to accomplish larger goals, like taking the entire town.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
~

< Message edited by jhyden -- 2/18/2019 7:48:50 AM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you play Close Combat? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI