Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

novice help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> novice help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
novice help - 2/10/2019 1:12:47 PM   
Phoenix100

I'm enjoying trying again with this incredible game. So far have only played Coral Sea many times.

Quick question - if I move a TF adjacent to a base with aircraft will those land-based aircraft provide cap for the ships? 11 May and I sheltered a crippled Lexington TF (no aircraft) adjacent to Port Moresby. Port Moresby rich in cap fighters, all set to 100% cap. Yet the Japanese TF mounted repeated raids against my crippled TF and no cap went up to contest them? How do I get them to do this? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 2:02:38 PM   
Mike Solli

Try LRCAP to Lexington's hex.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 2:22:02 PM   
MakeeLearn

Range?

LGBTQ Marines lead the way!

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 2:29:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Or bring Lex into PM and disband her in port to pump out any minor flood damage.

Re: the CAP, a lot depends on the range setting you are using. Too great a range and all those fighters disperse over a wide area and few are present to ward off strikes. Too short a range and they don't reach Lexington.

The % on CAP can also be a factor. Some swear by running 100% CAP but I find that if you do that for more than one turn you wear out the pilots and the aircraft. For a battle that will continue for days I rarely go over 50% CAP. If PM has radar and the incoming raids are detected early enough the other fighters on the ground will rise to join the fray.

Also important is Air Support. It is fine to have a plethora of fighters but if they cannot be refueled/rearmed and repaired promptly they stay on the ground. Make sure you have at least one AS per engine.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 4
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 3:39:07 PM   
m10bob

If you ever set a LRCAP...you also have the option of telling that air unit the exact hex or unit you wish it to protect.
Even if the convoy/fleet to be protected is out of range when you give those orders, the air unit will still protect that unit if it ever comes within range of the air unit.
NOTE:Anytime you delegate an LRCAP mission, ALWAYS give it at least 20% rest time as the computer figures pilot fatigue for flights outside of the base hex.
Further, if I use LRCAP for a mission, will will NEVER also give that unit more than 10% regular CAP (if at all) because it will increase pilot fatigue and reduce the number of rested pilots for a phase 2 LRCAP mission.

Drop tanks can increase the range for LRCAP...but they also increase pilot fatigue, so it is concievable something like a 25 plane P 38 squadron might muster 15 planes to go out 6 hexes on phase one...but maybe only 5 or 6 planes on phase two!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 3:57:42 PM   
rockmedic109

Yes, if a TF is one hex away the CAP can cover the TF. Operative word is can. It is not will cover the TF. And the number of planes will be reduced the further out you are. As mentioned before, the presence of radar at the base will also have some bearing on if and how many planes can cover the TF. One of the great things about this game is the number of variables that come into play in the various calculations. And no matter how well you plan something, random chance will sometimes screw you over just as happened IRL.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 6
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 4:02:49 PM   
BBfanboy

Just to clarify terminology:

- the two "phases" are Night and Day. Naval movement is split between these two phases. There is a night Air segment in the night phase, if there are any aircraft set to operate then.
- the two normal Air segments are Morning and Afternoon. Both take place in the Day phase.
- land movement and combat takes place after the end of the Air phase in the Afternoon segment.
- knowing the sequence that things happen is important for figuring out where you intend to send your forces to intercept or avoid the enemy. Keep in mind that the Japanese do each step first, so if your Allied xAP TF discovers an enemy SCTF one hex away at the end of a turn, it cannot run away before the Japanese SCTF has a chance to move into the same hex and intercept! OTOH, a Japanese xAP TF in the same situation does have the chance to evade combat by running away.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 4:38:21 PM   
Phoenix100

Very helpful, all. Many thanks. I hadn't even noticed long range cap (I assume that's what LRCAP is?). Too late for this run through, as the Lex is at the bottom now, but I'll experiment with all this next time, and the time after, etc...The TF was one hex away from PM, but it could be that there were too many units in PM for the base capacity - I've yet to learn those parameters. I'm not sure if PM has radar - will check - but I had around 26 catalinas out and about. But again, I haven't paid any attention so far to pilot fatigue/ airframe readiness etc.

Thanks again.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 2/10/2019 4:39:31 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 6:56:30 PM   
rockmedic109

Fatigue is a real killer. I try to keep it below 10. LRCAP will really jack up a units' fatigue. If you want to use LRCAP all the time, use three squadrons with only one active on a day.

Too many planes for the airfield size will drop the number of planes used in a mission {by 25% I believe}. Other factors can further reduce the number of planes used.

Do a search for posts by Alfred. His wealth of knowledge about this game is legendary.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: novice help - 2/10/2019 7:55:10 PM   
geofflambert

I typically run CAP at 30%, otherwise subsequent raids are ignored. At 30% you still have 100% available for interceptions, they just have to take off. Keep your altitude 2k feet above the expected bomber altitudes of incoming attacks, ignore the altitude of incoming fighter sweeps.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 10
RE: novice help - 2/11/2019 2:05:24 AM   
geofflambert

When you are in a ground battle, you maintain a reserve for as long as you can, you never commit 100% from the get go. If you do, you are on the losing side at Austerlitz.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 11
RE: novice help - 2/11/2019 2:31:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

When you are in a ground battle, you maintain a reserve for as long as you can, you never commit 100% from the get go. If you do, you are on the losing side at Austerlitz.

... or Waterloo!

Post #: 12
RE: novice help - 2/11/2019 2:40:03 AM   
geofflambert

Are you saying ABBA got it wrong?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: novice help - 2/11/2019 6:50:57 AM   
Kursk1943

quote:

...but there is also the saying: " the last battalion decides the battle!" Never did us Germans wrong in the past...oh, wait..

Post #: 14
RE: novice help - 2/11/2019 12:17:43 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

The % on CAP can also be a factor. Some swear by running 100% CAP but I find that if you do that for more than one turn you wear out the pilots and the aircraft.

100% CAP at range 0 works well. That can go on practically forever without issue.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: novice help - 2/11/2019 12:26:21 PM   
MakeeLearn

Remember...
quote:

Note that only 1/3rd of the assigned CAP will be airborne at any one time. Once an air strike is detected, the remaining 2/3rd will scramble and join the already airborne portion. However, unless given enough detection time, not all the CAP aircraft will necessarily meet the initial strike. p.153

LGBTQ Marines lead the way!

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 16
RE: novice help - 2/12/2019 5:38:30 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

quote:

...but there is also the saying: " the last battalion decides the battle!" Never did us Germans wrong in the past...oh, wait..

D'oh.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> novice help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI