Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

auto updater

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> auto updater Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
auto updater - 2/10/2019 12:54:00 AM   
goodwoodrw

Why can't I update my games from the autoplay screen. I get this message see attachment

Attachment (1)

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 1
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 1:59:24 AM   
stormbringer3

I haven't been able to use that in over a decade. This comes up over and over again. You'd think that they'd find a solution. I just go to the games' download section on the Matrix site and download the updates from there.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 2
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 5:58:59 AM   
zakblood

if everyone installed in correctly, not being a know all by the way, but over time, operating systems stop more and more files and programs from working, so mre permissions etc, so the work around is always install every game as install as admin, and then run the game as run as admin, then you will never see another one of these again, as when it installs, it will give the firewall the correct setup permissions and user rights to install, and run, without it, it won't.

and this is to say if your using a default antivirus and firewall which is built in, if your using a 3rd party one, it's anyone guess if it will even work at all using what i mention, as some 3rd party ones are cr@p and not game friendly at all

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 3
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 9:38:10 AM   
goodwoodrw

Yup I understand what your saying but I don't know how to fix right now. The issue wouldn't here if I could D/L the patch. Both the Slitherine and matrix sight times out when I click on the patch link. I noticed a thread( which I can't find ATM) mentioning issue a while ago.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 10:20:27 AM   
zakblood

only way to manually do it now, is to add the exception to the permissions list, so depending on what your using, is on how hard it is

so default firewall and permissions is easy, as the app or program will or should be already there, just with no ticks etc, and you have to amend or alter it so it has got the ticks and permissions as shown, you can't do it wrong, it either works and goes through or it doesn't

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/10/2019 10:22:12 AM >

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 5
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 11:25:07 AM   
Yogi the Great

On the bright side I still use the check for update as it does seem to work by letting you know a newer version is available. I then go to the web site to download it, as like the rest said it doesn't let me actually update. So at least some use of the check for update button.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 12:20:26 PM   
zakblood

with the 100 plus games iv'e tested here so far, not had a issue once with a update tbh, so must be doing something right, for a change

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 7
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 1:03:29 PM   
VPaulus

The issue, like zak told, is usually related with the interference of one of the Internet security programs (firewall, anti-virus, etc.).
Sometimes we found out that some ISPs also do some kind of traffic shaping with ftp connections which can cause time outs.
For these situations we always advise to download the updates manually from the Member's Areas. There's always a HTTP link and a FTP link, so you should use the HTTP one.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 2:04:31 PM   
Talon_XBMCX

I had this problem for the longest time … knowing full well it was my antivirus causing the issue. For the most part, Norton would allow the Updater to work and McAfee gave me that error. When I changed the firewall settings for the Matrix Updater to allow connections to "all devices", it worked just fine. This is not something I would do normally allow, but I trust Matrix. This is McAfee being proactive with security as it wont allow the originating machine you contacted to transfer you to another for the download without your knowledge (at least that is my novice, firewall/internet security understanding of that setting.). I ONLY allow this for the Matrix Updater.

I admit, it was a little time consuming to update each of the Matrix Updater apps to this setting, but now that I know what it is and how to adjust it, it's just part of my installation process. Without the change, I would use the Updater to notify myself that there was an update and then use the Members Area to download it.

Feel free to PM me if you have McAfee and would like help with the process.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 9
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 10:08:11 PM   
IslandInland

I have Kaspersky AV and have never had a problem updating Matrix games.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to Talon_XBMCX)
Post #: 10
RE: auto updater - 2/10/2019 11:13:54 PM   
goodwoodrw

It isn't related to a virus checker I don't have one installed.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> auto updater Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll