Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Doctrine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Doctrine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Doctrine - 2/7/2019 4:33:29 PM   
Duck Doc

On the attack does the USSR AI obey any rules which might represent an attempt to simulate Soviet doctrine? Just curious and I am very impressed with this game,
Post #: 1
RE: Doctrine - 2/7/2019 6:57:01 PM   
nikolas93TS

No, the AI is not scripted but rather dynamic. It can be "teached" to use new tactics (e.s flanking, secondary routes etc.) but those are not doctrine bound, as that would be excessive given the number of factions we have and planning. Also, we are not planning to implement scripted AI at the moment, unless maybe some hypothetical military customer demand that specifically or something similar.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 2
RE: Doctrine - 2/7/2019 9:48:04 PM   
kevinkins

Wow. The AI can be "teached" to use new tactics. Please elaborate on that since it would be ground breaking. Who is the teacher? Thanks.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to nikolas93TS)
Post #: 3
RE: Doctrine - 2/8/2019 12:56:53 PM   
nikolas93TS

I suggest you take a lot on Dev Diary about how AI works in game: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4508631

There is nothing really ground-breaking in this approach, I guess. Programmer can add new parameters and behavior templates for the AI, effectively teaching it to apply "new" more advanced tactics. That process is not easy of course.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 4
RE: Doctrine - 2/8/2019 1:02:53 PM   
Veitikka

In a sense the AI opponent does resemble the Soviet doctrine in some aspects, because when I did research for it I mainly used American sources that described the enemy that uses the doctrine. For example, I read that every third artillery smoke screen would be used as a decoy, and that's what our AI tries to do.

Know thyself!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: Doctrine - 2/8/2019 3:09:40 PM   
Duck Doc

Interesting. Thanks to both of you for your answers. Let me get more experience playing before asking more. I don't really have an agenda here in asking about the AI other than a desire that it behaves in a "realistic" manner and, of course, that would mean adherence to tactical doctrine on some level in order for it to suspend disbelief. Sorry I missed the developer's blog about the AI and it explained a lot.

Back to the front...

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 6
RE: Doctrine - 2/9/2019 9:26:02 AM   
Lowlaner2012

I found this interesting article online about Soviet tactics in games....

https://20thcenturywargaming.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/why-cold-war-warsaw-pact-tactics-work-in-wargaming/

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 7
RE: Doctrine - 2/9/2019 12:31:39 PM   
kevinkins

These days when you use the terms "AI" and "teach" together the writer often is implying that neural networks are involved which is why I thought we had something groundbreaking here for a commercial wargame. Thanks for the link to the thread above.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Lowlaner2012)
Post #: 8
RE: Doctrine - 2/9/2019 1:24:20 PM   
varangy

Yes that actually has happened: AlphaStar: The inside story

Although it is a much simpler real time strategy game (Starcraft 2), but for the first time AI beat the PROs every single game.

This is Googles Deepmind, years of developing and focusing only on the AI for probably millions of dollars investment.

You have to realise this is outside the scope of any commercial game.

The developers of Blitzkrieg 3 claim they use machine learning techniques to improve their AI but I never saw any good of that :D

< Message edited by varangy -- 2/9/2019 1:26:21 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 9
RE: Doctrine - 2/9/2019 2:01:04 PM   
kevinkins

Yes, I have been following Deepmind since I am a chess player as well as a wargamer. DARPA is also looking into machine learning to solve operational/tactical wargame problems. Definitely not within the scope of today's commercial wargames. Yet.

Kevin

PS: just today on Deepmind ...
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/deepmind-hanabi-playing-ai/

< Message edited by kevinkins -- 2/9/2019 2:30:21 PM >

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to varangy)
Post #: 10
RE: Doctrine - 2/9/2019 5:47:17 PM   
mmacguinness

US Army manuals FM 100-2.1 Operations and Tactics, 2.2 Specialized Warfare and Rear Area Support & 2.3 Troops, Organization and Equipment are available at

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/

Also, lots of good stuff on OPFOR at

http://www.s2company.com/file_cache2.php?fcat=IC*

I especially like the OPFOR Artillery/Defense/Offense/Engineer Smartbooks

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Doctrine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI