Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ Support units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> HQ Support units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ Support units - 1/31/2019 12:48:24 PM   
tonyscrase

I have 2 divisions of the xxx corp attacking and will be able to benefit from support units attached to the corp hq(given they pass tests) but i always thought i would be able to benefit from army hq the 8th army and army group 15th

But looking at it again I think it is only the hq they are directly attached to. Is this correct and if so is there any point in having support units in HQs further up the chain especially if no divisions are directly attached to them

THANK YOU
Post #: 1
RE: HQ Support units - 1/31/2019 1:17:34 PM   
xhoel

Hey Tony,

I think you are mixing Support Units with support squads. Support units are the independent Battalions and regiments (AA, Artillery, Pioneers etc) that may commit to battle if:
a) The HQ is in range (ie within 5 hexes)
b) If they pass their commitment rolls.

As such it is not useful to have units in your Army/Army Group HQs because they will not participate in battles, but can be reassigned manually by the player to Corps HQs. For more see: 7.4 in the manual ''Support Units''.

Support is different. It represents the administrative backbone of all units and multiple other facilities (repair shops, field hospitals, cooks etc). All levels of command may provide support squads to the units under them in the chain of command if they are within a certain number of hexes of one another. For more see 7.7.4 ''Provision of HQ Support and Command Range'' from the updated manual.

Cheers,
Xhoel

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ Support units - 1/31/2019 2:49:50 PM   
tonyscrase

Hi

Thank you I understand now

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ Support units - 1/31/2019 5:15:08 PM   
cfulbright

I would contradict Xhoel a little. Support units that are damaged will repair/refit faster the higher-level HQ they are assigned to, and also the size and type of depot that HQ is in. I recommend putting the UK Home Forces HQ in Birmingham and the AFHQ HQ in Oran, which are type 4 depots, and transferring the badly damaged tank battalions or brigades, for example, to there, until they recover. Have your Army HQ's on the mainland (Italy and Northern Europe), so you can transfer fully recovered support units directly to the Army HQ's and from there to divisions when you need them.

Cary

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ Support units - 1/31/2019 6:27:20 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

I would contradict Xhoel a little. Support units that are damaged will repair/refit faster the higher-level HQ they are assigned to, and also the size and type of depot that HQ is in. I recommend putting the UK Home Forces HQ in Birmingham and the AFHQ HQ in Oran, which are type 4 depots, and transferring the badly damaged tank battalions or brigades, for example, to there, until they recover. Have your Army HQ's on the mainland (Italy and Northern Europe), so you can transfer fully recovered support units directly to the Army HQ's and from there to divisions when you need them.

Cary

When I said that it is not useful to have Support Units in Higher HQs I was referring to their usefulness in combat. However in order for them to get back to full strength, I agree with you 100%. Solid advice.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> HQ Support units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI