FITE 2 operational studies

After Action Reports
gliz2

FITE 2 operational studies

Post by gliz2 »

The aim:
Show possible solutions to practical problems in FITE2 (e.g. the best T1 outcome).

Best use of force in T1 (AG Nord) Road to Leningrad/Moscow
Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.
gliz2

RE: FITE 2 operational studies

Post by gliz2 »

blocked for FITE2 main observations and Gliz2 house rules (to enhance the game-play experience).

Gliz2 house rules
1.first turn specials: Soviet units cannot move. Simple, brutal, absurd. Call it as you like. But it works like a magic.
Soviets will not be able to set up any MLR in first 2-3 turns thus not restraining the mobility of Germans in the crucial first turns. It does not give any advantages other than possibility to achieve historical results of German advance till mid July.
2. blowing bridges: only infantry and dug in HQ can blow bridges (first dug in and if successful blow up bridge).

gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Some discussion on popular myths surrounding Barbarossa'41.

Germans had made no preparations for a winter campaign and it was General Winter who defeated them
It is a common myth which is not substantiated by the evidence. First of all Germans suffered 74,000 dead, 36,000 missing and POWs and 604,000 wounded, injured and sick (this results in staggering ca. 815,000 casualties in total casualties in the first five months (July-November) which represented almost 1/3 of the committed German forces. The losses for December and January were of course big but they totaled to ca. 215,000 casualties (H. Schustereit in the second edition of "Vabanque", p. 147, based on the GQ 10-day reports).
The German forces had universal winter equipment and clothing (as almost every standard army during the time) but it was only suitable for weather similar to the Mid-European climate (temperatures not much lower than -15°C in winter) but not nearly sufficient for the continental East European winter (temperatures often -30°C or even lower sometimes). The Winter of 1941-42 was one of the severest in XX century (I recommend reading a short article by H. Lejenas "The sever winter in Europe 1941-42").

Germans were overpowered by sheer numbers of Soviet troops
Let's start with the fact that Germans had almost 1,000 surplus tanks which were not assigned to any front. As stated by Steve Merc (http://globeatwar.com/article/state-bar ... -fall-1941) the German high command had decided to forgo fully reinforcing Barbarossa's panzer divisions in order to pursue a number of competing and questionable and secondary initiatives. For instance, they had been sending considerable numbers of replacement tanks to the Afrika Corp's two panzer divisions (on behalf of Fuhrer's direct orders). An Afrika Corps that was at that time doing little more than fighting back and forth against the British and their Commonwealth Allies to see who could control Mussolini's strategically irrelevant Libyan colony. In addition, a larger number yet of Germany's surplus tanks had been redirected to equipping new armored formations being formed in the latter half of 1941, such as the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th Panzer Divisions. We also know additional tanks were delivered to Germany's Axis allies - albeit these deliveries included only 184 mostly obsolete models such as the Panzer 38(t). As to this last decision it must be said that it greatly bolstered the strength of Germany's allies and thus represented a wise and, given the numbers and quality of vehicles involved, cheap investment. All in all ca. 400 tanks were sent to Eastern Front, majority of (376) only in Sept and Oct 1941.
The logistic is a key for operations and railways were the life lines during the WWII. The Reichsverkehrsministerium (Ministry of Transport, or RVM) under Julius Dorpmüller was largely concerned with the railway lines that were run in Germany by the Reichsbahn and in occupied countries. Following the French Campaign, there was friction between the RVM and the Chef des Transportwesens (Head of OKW Transport), which prompted changes for the forthcoming Russian campaign, as Major General Gercke formed his own railway operating units, Feldeisenbahn-Direktion (Field Railway Direction, or FED), one for each Heeresgruppe, from drafted railwaymen under military officers — the Graueisenbahner. For this campaign, the rear area of the armies was to be kept very narrow, as little as 200 km behind the front line, with Reichskommissariats set up to administer and exploit the captured territories, and in this area the RVM was to set up new operating companies or Haupteisenbahndirektion (Main Railway Direction, or HBD) using Reichsbahn staff. The FED were formed in March 1941 and the HBD in July 1941, but this rapid deployment meant that both were short of staff, lacking equipment, and totally without experience. HBD Mitte set up in Brest with only 60 men, a shortage of qualified officials, and no equipment, including the vital telephones needed to run the railway. There were no route maps, timetables, or station information so that locomotives had to be sent out for several days in each direction to explore the network. In September the SS shot the entire printing staff of the HBD. (source: https://www.hgwdavie.com/blog/2018/3/9/ ... r-19411945).
The above are just examples of how the available resources were wasted or not used properly, which can be observed for most of the German operations, were priorities would change in accordance with Hitler's mood-swings.
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

The below picture shows (what is in my opinion) big issue/flaw of the Battle Stamps system. It can be easily exploited.
So what I did:
Step 1: I took some deep unit to attack a Soviet front unit and to avoid spending the 6 rounds I made 3 one-rounded attacks. The result of course being 1 round burn (Move 2).
Step 2: I checked the costs of entering the hexes. The one where the Soviet was requires 16 MPs but the adjacent one just 2 MPs (Move 3 and Move 4).
Step 3: I moved the German unit to finish the poor Soviet unit (Move 5) disregarding penalty cost associated with the battle that took place later on.

It just requires twice the time than normal but you can quite easily exploit the engines with this. In effect You can "ignore" the costs associated with battles freeing the front units by assaulting with later arriving units. Which results in much better advance results.

In the below example I have effectively eliminated an opponent unit with limited round burn plus I freed up the front line units which otherwise would have to fight or bypass the enemy (this is first turn but later in the game it can have a big difference).

I will follow up on this exploit to see what can be achieved with it and will report back :)
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Turn 1: Road to Leningrad
*Red circles represent the maximum possible advance provided the most favorable conditions and/or alternative movement paths.

On the Road to Leningrad the key is to be quick on the move for Riga. If it gets captured next turn then the Germans will gain extremely valuable hub on the northern front and thus creating extremely pressure on Russian to counter the threat. Crossing Dvina at Riga should also allow for rapid advance towards Pskov and opens a possiblity to envelope on the enemy units on the line Riga-Polotsk.

The armored and mechanized elements seen in the middle of the map are one of the most northern thrust for Moscow and also serve as a push towards the bridges on Dvina (to create extra pressure on enemy and alternative should Riga provide a harder nut to crack).
Attachments
T1 road to Leningrad.jpg
T1 road to Leningrad.jpg (940.02 KiB) Viewed 637 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Turn 1: Road to Moscow (norther part)
*Red circles represent the maximum possible advance provided the most favorable conditions and/or alternative movement paths.

Here the above-mentioned move is seen better (top of the map). My general intention was to encircle the enemy units as much as possible and to advance on Vilnus taken of which gives multiple options to Germans (any cities on the Daugvapilis-Vitebsk line).

Capturing bridges on Neman river allows for easy follow up of infantry trying to keep up with the forward elements pushing for Dvina river.
Attachments
T1 road to..cow nord.jpg
T1 road to..cow nord.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 637 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Turn 1: Road to Moscow (southern part)

Norther part of Road to Moscow provides more tricky. Although I have gained some important bridgeheads towards Baranovich and Slutsk (right side of the map) the enemy can easily block my advance if he plays smart. There are some though nuts to crack like Brzesc, Minsk or Sluck. It is a matter of luck. If there will be no disruptive events (which make units stop in the middle of movement and thus not achieving the maximum range) I should be knocking on both Minsk and Sluck doors next turn.

Attachments
T1 road to..scow sud.jpg
T1 road to..scow sud.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 637 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Turn 1: Road to Kiev

Never liked the Southern Front. The enemy is strong here, the terrain is disadvantageous and I never was fan of committing to advance on Kiev. But this I have decided to put some effort into it and try to go for Crimea (Kiev is a secondary objective). I doubt if this is doable (no matter how hard I try as STAVKA I have the German plans in my head). Nevertheless I think this might be the key to a success on Southern Front. Taking Crimea would mean that I would gain control over Black Sea and force STAVKA to rush with any countermeasures against the imminent threat to Caucasus.

The plans for Romanians and Hungarians are also completely not historical. Some Romania divisions will support advance through Prypats Marshes and Romanians and Hungarians will fight side-by-side (which historically would not be much of an option).
Attachments
T1 road to Kiev.jpg
T1 road to Kiev.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 637 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

So what have I did wrong in my first turn as ze Germans? Quite a lot as you will soon discover.
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

The key for the first turn is to push forward as far as possible, grabbing key crossings on them big rivers.
My mistake was paying too much attention to the Soviet units. For the first 2-3 turns you should basically ignore them. To put it bluntly: they cannot do much so why bother?
I have made all the moves for Turn 2 and I'm already in Riga (but I think I will fail to take control of the city this turn; as the Soviet player I missed one bloody bridge which was guarded only by engineers and that's how ze Germans got to Riga), fighting for Baranovitch, closing on Slutsk and down South pushing towards Rovno.
Made some mistakes, had some drawbacks but generally I achieved all the main and most of the secondary objectives.
Taking control of the railway up North allows me for easy strategic movements, which should greatly help in the early stage.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thanks for doing this AAR. It's interesting seeing what you think of the game.
Please keep going.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Thanks Larry,
This is not a typical AAR. It involves cheating like reloading, undo moves and such (for both sides). The idea is to get the best possible outcomes for the problems for both OKW and STAVKA.

An example of this is me trying to grab Riga by the end of T2. Got 10 different plays for T2 still every single time I've failed to deliver [8|]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: gliz2
...An example of this is me trying to grab Riga by the end of T2. Got 10 different plays for T2 still every single time I've failed to deliver.
I don't believe I've ever done that. It usually takes me until T2 to get there, T3 to set up my attacks, T4 to execute the attacks once, T5 to attack again and maybe capture Riga. Something like that. Also, I've only captured Leningrad once.
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Larry many thanks for your interest, your feedback is always welcomed.

I was able to actually get Riga in T2. Here comes the big elephant in the room - playing against myself proves to be as hard as hell. If I had not know that Germans are advancing on Riga as a Soviet player I would have committed to attack the Brandenburger Regiments. But I knew exactly where Germans were to strike. Hence I chose to block Riga and deal with the Germans in Livani in T2. Normally it would be a huge gamble that might cost the Soviet CO a life.

On the other hand as Germans I also have a general picture where the Soviets are committing. But in the end this is a study of best possible outcomes and not a regular game.

And I do not just sit on my defense as most of the Soviet players would wisely do but I'm trying to act like a normal CO would do - you must counterattack and you must send troops forward for reconnaissance (goes for both sides).

Guess what happened - yes, failed proficiency check [:@]

After having a second look I concluded that it was not the worst outcome so far. My advance was not much hampered by the enemy but rather by the fact that I play both sides. Furthermore I have been flexible in my approach and took some unplanned detours when I found a nice gap in Soviet lines.

Historically von Mainstein's 56th Pz Corp have crossed Dvina already on 25th June (185 miles from its start point). This is not possible in the game. You can barely achieve that at the end of T2. And it is not because of Soviet player actions but due still existing flaws in the scenario design

Here is the Road to Leningrad at the beginning of T3:

Attachments
T3 road to..vements).jpg
T3 road to..vements).jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 638 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

T3 (some battles still to be executed) 3rd June 1941 Road to Leningrad (spot the difference to previous post :P)

Attachments
T3 road to..vements).jpg
T3 road to..vements).jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 638 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

What would have happened if the Axis forces ignored Leningrad and the deep south temporarily and drove everybody due east and grabbed Moscow earlier in the war than IRL and THEN spread out for Leningrad and Kharkov and Stalingrad, etc. I've been wondering about that for four games now.
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Well Larry this case study are all about this [8D]
What I can tell already is that they would not necessarily have huge success as the Soviets would have amassed forces to counter the threat to Moscow.
I think till end of July the Germans should make run for the bridges and transport hubs. In my current game in next turn (T4) I might get to Smolensk or at least vicinity of it. This means the Soviet player will have to move his units to counter this serious threat and give up a bit on the Baltic countries hence providing me with opportunity to exploit the northern flank on road to Moskow.
Soviet player has no means to stop advancing German Pz and Mot elements till 5-6 turns, so whatever ground you make as Germans it must be done super quick. Then it becomes a meat grinder.

PS. My plan for the Germans is to hit Moscov with half of the German Army and 3/4 of the Pz and Mot Divs. Committing more would allow Soviet player to loosen defences on the Kiev and Leningrad. The above approach seems to be the golden middle to keep the Soviets on their toes (as you can still push hard on both Kiev and Leningrad, but without really committing much of units).
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Road to Moscow T3 3-Jul-1941
The best outcome of T3 was me taking Besankovici (with Brandenburger units) and got lucky with capturing Borisov (yellow circle with Red Soviet unit in it). Why I did not followed that scenario? Because I have realized that I will loose precious Brandenburgers and Besankovici is not worth it.
Generally AG Mitte does extremely well so far.

Attachments
T3 road to..vements).jpg
T3 road to..vements).jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 638 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Road to Kiev (T3) 3-Jul-1941

Attachments
T3 road to..vements).jpg
T3 road to..vements).jpg (753.42 KiB) Viewed 638 times
gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Report for Soviets at the end of T3:
Heavy losses in planes, tanks, artillery and men.
Germans are breaking the thin lines and I don't know what is their axis of attack and how big is their spearhead.
The Baltic Front is broken. Was it not for Stalin I would have tactically withdrawn forces after blowing all them bridges. But STAVKA demends counterattacking Germans at bridgheads.
Belarusian Front is in tatters. I have committed forces to defend Minsk but it seems the enemy is rather not interested in assaulting the city at the moment. The result is that enemy tanks have been reported less than 100 km from Smolensk, which at the moment has only skeleton defence. Should the reports be true Smolensk might as well fell to the very next turn.
The Ukrainian Front, although suffering heavy losses is in relatively good shape. The enemy advance is slow and the defensive line is already set up on most crucial parts of the front.
I have my doubts about the Romanians and fear that they may soon join the fray which would put all of the Ukrainian Front at risk as the enemy could try Pincer flanking move.
STAVKA's orders are strict. Delay and obstruct enemy at all cost. Withdrawals will not be tolerated.

Return to “After Action Reports”