TOAW III scenario converter?

Post new mods and scenarios here
Edorf

TOAW III scenario converter?

Post by Edorf »

Hi

I dont`t own the game, yet, so I have a question about converting older TOAW scenarios to be compatible with TOAW IV. I`m mainly aiming to play solo vs AI and and I came across a scenario reposit and a TOAW III scenario converter.

The scenarios is here http://alternatewars.com/Games/TOAW/TOAW.htm

Link to converter in post #8 in this thread tm.asp?m=3748920&mpage=1&key=%26%2365533%3B

I`ve been looking at some of the WW1 scenarios in the World War I Category pack (the pack from the Rugged Defense site) and a few of these contains PO`s. As the converter seemingly converts any old TOAW scenario to TOAW III I would assume that I then in turn could make these playable with TOAW IV. Or maybe not? Does anyone in here have any experience with this converter in combination with TOAW IV?
larryfulkerson

RE: TOAW III scenario converter?

Post by larryfulkerson »

I have a question about converting older TOAW scenarios to be compatible with TOAW IV.
As far as I know all you have to do is load the scenario into TOAW IV's editor and save it, with a different name preferably, and there you go, it's converted. Do each old scenario this way.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Edorf

Post by Edorf »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I have a question about converting older TOAW scenarios to be compatible with TOAW IV.
As far as I know all you have to do is load the scenario into TOAW IV's editor and save it, with a different name preferably, and there you go, it's converted. Do each old scenario this way.

Thanks. Well, that sounds a lot easier[:)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

There's a tiny problem with scenario's that were written for
a TOAW version prior to the Matrix version. You'll probably
have to run them through TOAWIII's editor first, THEN the
TOAWIV version in that order.

Versions of scenarios written for TOAWIII usually are okay
to just use the TOAWIV editor to convert them.
Edorf

Post by Edorf »

There's a tiny problem with scenario's that were written for
a TOAW version prior to the Matrix version. You'll probably
have to run them through TOAWIII's editor first, THEN the
TOAWIV version in that order.

Versions of scenarios written for TOAWIII usually are okay
to just use the TOAWIV editor to convert them.

I`m a bit late to this but since my first post I have dived into it and finally purchased TOAWIV.

By using the mentioned converter, in my first post, I did manage to convert older TOAW (VOL 1, COW and WOTY) scenarios to TOAWIII and then loaded these into the TOAWIV editor. I`ve had no problems playing any of these scenarios. From a technical standpoint at least it works with TOAWIV. I guess it`s a bit hit and miss how playable each one of these are but I guess I`ll find out[:)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I`m a bit late to this but since my first post I have dived into it and finally purchased TOAW IV.

By using the mentioned converter, in my first post, I did manage to convert older TOAW (VOL 1, COW and WOTY) scenarios to TOAW III and then loaded these into the TOAW IV editor. I`ve had no problems playing any of these scenarios. From a technical standpoint at least it works with TOAW IV. I guess it`s a bit hit and miss how playable each one of these are but I guess I`ll find out.

Congratulations Frode dude. You're among friends. We're here to help you if we can. I've got close to 150 scenarios and I'm willing to share. Name your favorite area / period / theme and I'll take a look around to see if I can't find something for you. Let me be the first to encourage you to play against a real person instead of the AI. You'll learn the tips and tricks a LOT faster. Gameplay is more fun because you're up against a predator. You need an opponent who will take you under his wing and play some "open" games with you to show you the ropes. Ask a lot of questions...I'm pretty sure there's someone who can answer it. The main point is to have fun.
Edorf

Post by Edorf »

I`m a bit late to this but since my first post I have dived into it and finally purchased TOAW IV.

By using the mentioned converter, in my first post, I did manage to convert older TOAW (VOL 1, COW and WOTY) scenarios to TOAW III and then loaded these into the TOAW IV editor. I`ve had no problems playing any of these scenarios. From a technical standpoint at least it works with TOAW IV. I guess it`s a bit hit and miss how playable each one of these are but I guess I`ll find out.

Congratulations Frode dude. You're among friends. We're here to help you if we can. I've got close to 150 scenarios and I'm willing to share. Name your favorite area / period / theme and I'll take a look around to see if I can't find something for you. Let me be the first to encourage you to play against a real person instead of the AI. You'll learn the tips and tricks a LOT faster. Gameplay is more fun because you're up against a predator. You need an opponent who will take you under his wing and play some "open" games with you to show you the ropes. Ask a lot of questions...I'm pretty sure there's someone who can answer it. The main point is to have fun.

Thanks, Larry[:)] Well I`m quite a newbie and want to learn how the game plays. I have pretty much all the strategy games I need but have found an interest in hex-based operational games lately. Besides strategy gaming I read a lot of history and for the time being I`m very much into WW1 and East Front WW2. Have found some older WW1 scenarios (PO capable) but as these are not fully compatible with TOAWIV (?) I would appreciate it a lot if you could direct me to any functional whole theatre ww1 scenario(s), or any good East or Western front WW1 scenarios that works with IV. But I guess any WW1 or WW2 scenarios would be of interest[:)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Edorf
Thanks, Larry. Well I`m quite a newbie and want to learn how the game plays. I have pretty much all the strategy games I need but have found an interest in hex-based operational games lately. Besides strategy gaming I read a lot of history and for the time being I`m very much into WW1 and East Front WW2. Have found some older WW1 scenarios (PO capable) but as these are not fully compatible with TOAWIV (?) I would appreciate it a lot if you could direct me to any functional whole theatre ww1 scenario(s), or any good East or Western front WW1 scenarios that works with IV. But I guess any WW1 or WW2 scenarios would be of interest[:)]

You didn't give me any sort of size criteria and so I'm guessing you're into the big scenario's too?
There's a favorite east front scenario that's hard to beat: D21 in which you play against the Soviet PO. I've got a game going right now. I just restarted today so I'm on turn 1 so far. I love it. If you want to play the biggest one that would be FITE2 ( Fire in the East 2 ). I've got two games of that going right now. I'm playing as the Axis in one and as the Soviets in the other. If you don't want to tackle the biggest ones yet I'd reccommend the Road to Moscow series of scenarios. It's the Operation Barbarosa broken into a series of scenarios so you can take the early war years a bite at a time. The picture is the contents of my WWI folder and all the WWI scenarios I have. I've annotated the ones that I think that are especially playable. I have no idea which ones of these have a PO.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (324.15 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Edorf

Post by Edorf »

I will look into the Road to Moscow scenarios. Thanks for the tip. FITE2 is PBEM only, isn`t it? Well, Directive 21 is quite big too so I`ll guess that will suffice. If I want to really bend my head I can always turn to GG WitE[:)] Luckily there`s already some nice WW1 scenarios to try out.

If you, or anybody else, are interested I have found a few interesting older WW1 and WW2 scenarios and converted them. All of them have at least one PO. Have uploaded them here (see attachement)
Attachments
WW12.zip
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 32 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”