Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Player, Overwhelmed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> New Player, Overwhelmed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/18/2019 4:12:13 PM   
ScottVal

Hello-
I thought I'd give this game a try. I watched some YouTube, read the manual, and designed a simple
scenario. I started playing the scenario, and quickly felt overwhelmed. There is so much

going on. Can someone make a suggestion, as to how to proceed? For now I guess I'll re-read the
manual and maybe watch some more YouTube. Maybe I should make my simple scenario even more
simple. Thanks! This forum UI is terrible!
-Scott
Post #: 1
RE: New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/19/2019 8:10:37 PM   
mmacguinness

It's not easy, but give it a chance. It's not an RTS, it's not a clickfest.

It requires more planning than most games during set up, but when you get it right, especially in defense, you can sit back and watch the enemy get chewed up by your forces.
Attack is of course harder. That is why artillery, armour and airpower were invented.

So, to start and get to understand how it works, generate a scenario in SE Finland, Infantry defense of a bridge v any faction, mech or armoured, not just Soviet, use only half your points, buy squads and atgm sections, deploy half your squads & atgm sections in blocking positions, the other half on your defense line.

It is so much fun when you get it right, almost automatic Total Victory after your infantry murder the Opfor armour.

BTW, I don't like fair fights.

(in reply to ScottVal)
Post #: 2
RE: New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/19/2019 9:17:07 PM   
wodin

Yeah make yourself some small scenarios.

Having little knowledge of post WW2 weapon systems can also make,things difficult. As that's my major difficulty with wargames set after WW2.

I'd like the game to have descriptions of units and their pros and cons and how best to use them ie front line attack or behind line in support etc. Also how good it is compared to similar enemy vehicles As well as compared to similar units you may have.

< Message edited by wodin -- 1/19/2019 9:19:10 PM >

(in reply to mmacguinness)
Post #: 3
RE: New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/19/2019 10:47:51 PM   
kevinkins

I think you might want to try fighting across small maps with a small number of units (a few plattons) and pick the Red force size to match your own. There is nothing more frustrating than having the AI select a Red force that has you outnumbered while you are still learning. Maybe start with armor only since it's just fun and the battles are quick. Then add in some mech infantry on both sides for the next few games. Then add in a/c. Then arty. As the battles get larger, so will the maps you select to fight on. In a few nights of scaling up your battles you will be Commanding several Companies across large maps.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/19/2019 11:03:54 PM   
ScottVal

Thanks for the replies, yea, I probably should have mentioned the battle I set up was a meeting engagement. I try one on a small map, defend, bridge crossing, not too many units to keep it simple. Thanks again.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/20/2019 10:04:49 AM   
nikolas93TS

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yeah make yourself some small scenarios.

Having little knowledge of post WW2 weapon systems can also make,things difficult. As that's my major difficulty with wargames set after WW2.

I'd like the game to have descriptions of units and their pros and cons and how best to use them ie front line attack or behind line in support etc. Also how good it is compared to similar enemy vehicles As well as compared to similar units you may have.

We would like to introduce Unit Specification screen in purchase menu, just like the one you have in-game. But having some kind of encyclopedia with unit descriptions is quite prohibiting due to sheer number of them: over 700 ground units and 100 aircraft at the moment and that number is growing fast.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: New Player, Overwhelmed - 1/22/2019 3:10:38 PM   
wodin

OK maybe just some sort of rating on how it was perceived at time compared to similar so Poor, Standard, Good and Cutting edge. Then something like Offensive or Defensive. Then Frontline or Support and finally Rear. That alone would help alot.

Also just the vehicles I think is the main area that I'm guessing at alot.

(in reply to nikolas93TS)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> New Player, Overwhelmed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI