Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Foreign Troop Commitment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Foreign Troop Commitment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Foreign Troop Commitment - 1/14/2019 11:58:03 PM   
ashkpa

Two post. First with the starting picture second with the situation flow. I am not sure if there is an error or where it is exactly.
Invasion of France. BEF in France, two HQ's, 3 land units and a Fighter (all start in France).

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Foreign Troop Commitment - 1/15/2019 12:08:49 AM   
ashkpa

Situation: (can use the attached file to follow these directions).
1) Whitley in Dover flies to hex (54,30) to ground strike. (just skip through the FR option to fly GS).
First question, should it be allowed to do this based on Foreign Troop Commitment (FTC)?
2) German Bf109 intercepts.
3) CW Hurricane (in France) counter intercepts.
4) Fight combat.
a) Set the axis roll to 11, clearing the Whitley.
b) Set the allied roll to 6, aborting the GE fighter.
5) Continue to the return to base phases and return the GE fighter anywhere. Game then wants to return the CW fighter (before the ground strike, so the Whitley is still "in" France). At this point the only option is to destroy the CW fighter with the backspace key.
Second question, this plane started in and never left France it should be fine from a FTC point of view. Correct?

Another interesting item is that if the allies had rolled an 11 we would move to a second round. If the allies stay for the second round but the GE abort, then both the allied planes return to base at the same time and they could return the bomber first and then the fighter can stay in France.

Thoughts?

Pat
P.S. found in 2.9.4, but also replicated with 2.9.5

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ashkpa)
Post #: 2
RE: Foreign Troop Commitment - 1/15/2019 3:22:21 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkpa

Situation: (can use the attached file to follow these directions).
1) Whitley in Dover flies to hex (54,30) to ground strike. (just skip through the FR option to fly GS).
First question, should it be allowed to do this based on Foreign Troop Commitment (FTC)?
2) German Bf109 intercepts.
3) CW Hurricane (in France) counter intercepts.
4) Fight combat.
a) Set the axis roll to 11, clearing the Whitley.
b) Set the allied roll to 6, aborting the GE fighter.
5) Continue to the return to base phases and return the GE fighter anywhere. Game then wants to return the CW fighter (before the ground strike, so the Whitley is still "in" France). At this point the only option is to destroy the CW fighter with the backspace key.
Second question, this plane started in and never left France it should be fine from a FTC point of view. Correct?

Another interesting item is that if the allies had rolled an 11 we would move to a second round. If the allies stay for the second round but the GE abort, then both the allied planes return to base at the same time and they could return the bomber first and then the fighter can stay in France.

Thoughts?

Pat
P.S. found in 2.9.4, but also replicated with 2.9.5

First question: This is fine.

Second question: This is a bug. FTC should only be evaluated at the end of a step; the FTR should not be destroyed here.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to ashkpa)
Post #: 3
RE: Foreign Troop Commitment - 1/15/2019 3:30:15 AM   
paulderynck

The way it "should" work - FTC has nothing to do with air missions from the UK to France (or even for that matter an Air Transport flight that goes over France but does not terminate there). FTC only applies at the end of a step.

Not sure why you can't RTB the FTR - seems it's a bug. If I read correctly, you imply the FTR is being RTB'd before the ground strike is resolved, but unless aborted in A2A combat, it should RTB after the ground strike.

Flip flopping the FTR and Bomber (if both fly) should work since at the end of the step, FTC is still satisfied.

Paul

(in reply to ashkpa)
Post #: 4
RE: Foreign Troop Commitment - 1/15/2019 10:29:01 PM   
ashkpa

Paul,

When the CW aborts the GE fighter, it is requested to return to base before the bomber and I do not have the option of returning the bomber first. Download my game save and try it in the conditions I did and perhaps some other that you may think of.

Pat

< Message edited by ashkpa -- 1/15/2019 10:30:30 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 5
RE: Foreign Troop Commitment - 1/15/2019 11:23:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkpa

Paul,

When the CW aborts the GE fighter, it is requested to return to base before the bomber and I do not have the option of returning the bomber first. Download my game save and try it in the conditions I did and perhaps some other that you may think of.

Pat

The program returns fighters before any bombing missions (including naval air combat) are resolved. I don't see this as a major deviation from the rules as written. It just simplifies the housekeeping chores for the program.

The bug is that air units that are flying should not be counted as part of FTC.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to ashkpa)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Foreign Troop Commitment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI