Planning Points for Future Objectives

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kursk1943

Planning Points for Future Objectives

Post by Kursk1943 »

Just to be sure - setting a future objective only makes sense for combat units, because it helps when defending or attacking.
So it is a waste of time to set objectives for non-combat units (Base Forces, Seabees...).
Right?
Canoerebel

RE: Planning Points for Future Objectives

Post by Canoerebel »

Support units do have minimal combat support values (it's not listed, but it's there), so prep adds a small contribution to the defense.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Thanks, makes sense for defense. But for attacks I don't think it's necessary, because I tend to bring in the non-combat units only after a base is mine. Then it should not make any difference.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Prep also matters if the troops/support units are landing amphibiously, even if there is no opposition. It equates to a planned unload vs a chaotic one.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I often give a support unit an objective because that tells me that is where I planned it to be based....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

I often give a support unit an objective because that tells me that is where I planned it to be based....

Roger

Plus One. It helps to keep you organized....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Prep matters for adjusted AV of all of your forces within range of a prepped (even partially) HQ. Whether attacking or defending.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Many thanks for the clarifications. I do it sometimes for organizational reasons, too. But now I'm in late 1944 as Allies, the turns are getting longer and longer with all these units, so I doubted the wisdom to set an objective for every member of the hordes of engineering units.
But you convinced me that it's worth the effort...[8|]
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

I always prep support units. Whether it helps or not, it does keep me organized also. I know where they're going. Besides, it doesn't cost any PP's and it doesn't seem to hurt.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Many thanks for the clarifications. I do it sometimes for organizational reasons, too. But now I'm in late 1944 as Allies, the turns are getting longer and longer with all these units, so I doubted the wisdom to set an objective for every member of the hordes of engineering units.
But you convinced me that it's worth the effort...[8|]

Unless you plan to do one of the following, you don't need to prep engineering units: (1) defend a base, or (2) land them amphibiously at an enemy base. Since engineering units often have zero, or at least minimal, AV then prepping them for attacks is basically pointless.

You can also use the "Set all" button once you have set one unit, if that serves your purposes. I know that's not always possible, but sometimes...

I have also used it for organizational purposes. I'll set a unit to prepare for defending some base or other, or attacking another one, even if I'm not sure that's exactly where the unit will go - just nearby. That way I make sure things get sent to at least the appropriate theater if not sub-theater.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Roger

another +1.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

This thread is exposing an important misunderstanding.

P(reparation)P(oints) doesn't impact on the Assault Value per se.

All land devices have some firepower.  This firepower is fed into the combat algorithms.  Just because a LCU has no displayed AV does not mean it has no firepower.  There is a firepower threshold to be met in order for that device to be credited with an AV of 1.  Exceed the threshold by 2x, 3x, 4x or more does not generate a higher AV for that device.  In the firepower phase of combat, it is the firepower which matters, not the AV.

The other important point to understand is that the type of combat a LCU can offensively participate in is determined on whether it has any AV.  Participation in defensive combat is not dependent on having some AV.

The bottom line is that any LCU will fight better in the target base if it is fully prepped for the target base.  Even partial preparation will assist.  The adjusted AV is calculated only after combat and it is used to determine whether a retreat or change of base ownership results.

Alfred
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Thank you Alfred for another insight once again. [:)]
My conclusion is that prepping every unit regardless of its AV is worthwhile.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Don't forget that once a unit hits 100% prep it has a chance each turn to earn a 'free' experience point up to the national cap. Not sure how much the experience of a unit comes into play in combat, but I often see the negative modifier for experience(-) in the combat report showing that unit(s) failed their roll and suffered for it.

Xargun
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

This thread is exposing an important misunderstanding.

P(reparation)P(oints) doesn't impact on the Assault Value per se.

All land devices have some firepower.  This firepower is fed into the combat algorithms.  Just because a LCU has no displayed AV does not mean it has no firepower.  There is a firepower threshold to be met in order for that device to be credited with an AV of 1.  Exceed the threshold by 2x, 3x, 4x or more does not generate a higher AV for that device.  In the firepower phase of combat, it is the firepower which matters, not the AV.

The other important point to understand is that the type of combat a LCU can offensively participate in is determined on whether it has any AV.  Participation in defensive combat is not dependent on having some AV.

The bottom line is that any LCU will fight better in the target base if it is fully prepped for the target base.  Even partial preparation will assist.  The adjusted AV is calculated only after combat and it is used to determine whether a retreat or change of base ownership results.

Alfred

Right.

But for units that have no guns and no "combat" squads/devices of any kind (say, Seabee battalions), prep only matters for defense (where they will be able to fight back) and amphibious landings.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”