Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Closed] World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Opponents Wanted >> [Closed] World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Closed] World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/10/2019 7:02:48 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, I'm a beginner at TOAW. I just played 4 or 5 short games at all.
I'm looking for an Allies player to defeat the Reich in the "World at War 41-45" scenario (Misc folder).

***************************************************************************************
- You play the Allies, I play the Axis
- All options set to max realism (see pic).
- PBEM++ (server game)
- Fast pace - ideally each player plays 1 turn per 24 hours - exceptionally in 48 hours maximum.
- It's a 200-turn game so highly motivated player only. No quitter !
- Both players should agree before any resignation
- Free play, not necessarily historical. You attack where you want, whenever you want - free jazz ! ;-)
- Communication on Steam or Discord text chat
***************************************************************************************

Any volunteer ?
Please answer here, NOT by PM. :-)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 1/13/2019 5:37:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/11/2019 5:21:48 PM   
gwgardner

I'd be interested if you change your requirements: slow play, probably 1 turn every three days, and I would have no interest in chat. If anyone else can play faster, go for it.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 1/11/2019 5:23:01 PM >

Aggressors: Ancient Rome
My favorite 4x game now.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/723/details/Aggressors.Ancient.Rome

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 5:28:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

I might be able to squeeze in one turn every other month. But you'd
be required to send me an email to remind me to do it. Good hunting.

[the reason very few older men get hired:]
interviewer: "What's your greatest weakness?"
old guy: "My honesty."
interviewer: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."
old guy: "I don't give a fuc_ what you think."

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 6:04:58 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hi guys, well, as the game is 200 turns long (or so) I really want it to be fast paced otherwise it will last for ever and will probably never end.
Also, socializing with my opponent is an important part of gaming for me ... I just can't imagine passing 2 years playing with someone without chatting with the dude. And not just talking about chitchat but also wartime diplomacy, truce offers, comments on the situation, etc ;-)

I normally would also offer to write AARs but given the circumstances, this clearly would be too much !
But no problem, I'm not in a rush to start so can wait for more offers.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 10:01:26 AM   
gwgardner

No problem, it was a daunting thought to play anyway.

I advise you open up the scenario in the editor and check out the naval attrition divider. I THINK that is the feature that determines how deadly naval attacks are each round. Check out other threads on it, I think by Curtis Lemay. If it's not set right, the naval attacker in surface combats is way too strong on the first round, thus not allowing the opponent naval force counter-battery fire.

I also noted, in playing a test first turn, that on June 22 1941, the Japanese Air Assistant targeted Midway. So apparently, technically Japan is already at war with the Allies. It would require a house rule I guess if you wanted to replicate a Dec 7 start date for the Pacific War.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 1/12/2019 10:04:52 AM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 5
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 3:26:44 PM   
mdanz

I could commit to one turn for sure per week, two or more is possible if not probable sometimes. Its bigger than I have tried and I don't trust the PBEM++ system to not screw up the game after a significant time investment was wasted. That has happened to me a number of times now.
and I like diplomatic messages (how do you play someone for months and and not chat? It's prob real easy to get in his head :)
just guessing.....
Anyways,
I'm willing to try. The pre-sets are fine by me.

Matt

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 5:58:55 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi Matt, thx for your message. I will wait a bit longer in case someone offer to play faster, otherwise will happily play with you. Let's say I will wait until Monday evening, GMT.
Interesting comment about PBEM++ screwing the game at one point in time ... Does it mean you're suggesting traditional PBEM ?

Thanks @gwgardner for the comment about the preset but I will not modify presets/open the editor, it's above my current skills :-) I would screw the whole thing up

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 7
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 7:07:01 PM   
mdanz

It's a huge scenario and I have had problems with the PBEM++ system in the past. I haven't for a couple months now. It's probably fine.It looks like the last updates fixed it.
I think quit a few people are playing by email without using the PBEM++ system just to make sure the game doesn't suddenly have sync issues and it ends up being scrapped.
That hasn't happened to me for a while though...
Anyone have an opinion on the safest way to trade turns on a huge scenario to minimize the chances of wasting hours and hours of time because of a sudden glitch?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/12/2019 7:29:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Anyone have an opinion on the safest way to trade turns on a huge scenario to minimize the chances of wasting hours and hours of time because of a sudden glitch?

Patrick and I are trading files because we don't trust the PBEM++ system not to screw it up. We've had 0 problems so far.

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 9
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 2:46:56 PM   
nukkxx5058

It's a good point you are raising guys ... It's true that for a long game like that it would be an absolute pity to lose the file after 50+ turns . Now, on the other hand, I'm quite sure that the Matrix admin guys could recover a backup ... But it's definitely a valid point.
The other option is a Dropbox game, easier that email IMO. What do you think Matt ?

Post #: 10
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 3:18:22 PM   
mdanz

Don't know what a dropbox game is..
How does that work?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 11
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 3:22:07 PM   
mdanz

And do you know the admin guys well enough to get them to respond to a request for a backup file?
I have little confidence I cold get them to do that actually..
I suspect admin for this game is a few older guys trying to keep a game that's thirty years old running somehow..

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 12
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 3:50:27 PM   
nukkxx5058

Well, I recently had a massive problem with my account on matrix/slitherine and the Admin geek made a crazy work to get me back on tracks so I know for sure they are fully dedicated to their customers and that they would do their best to exhume a backup of the file.

But anyway, I took your point and I'm happy to play traditional PBEM and I 'm happy to play with you :-) I think Germans play first so I can play my first turn tomorrow.

Well, Dropbox would be even better. It's an easy way to share files online.

It works like that: I create a Dropbox, which is a shared online folder where you can drag and drop the file when you finish your turn. Same for me. All I need is your email address. We can make a test if you want. If yes, just sent your email address by PM. I create a dropbox and you will see how it works.

Here's an example >>

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 1/13/2019 3:51:37 PM >

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 13
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 4:03:59 PM   
mdanz

They helped me consolidate separate accounts I had on Matrix and Slitherine... some were new some old. Apparentely that was causing problems with multi-player though I don't really understand the tech to know why. I'm not a tech guy in real life though I did appreciate that effort.That helped with some problems I was having and I'm sure its difficult at times..
There were some other issues where I didn't get response at all..
Anyways, I think the PBEM++ system is fine now because like I said, I haven't had problems in a while. You sound like you have the confidence in it to start a game that will almost certainly go on for a few months at least. That spooks me a little because of past experience, but if we can recover the files if something happens, lets just use the PBEM++ system. That would be easiest I guess.
Sound good?

and are you sure your a beginner?...
hmmm....

< Message edited by mdanz -- 1/13/2019 4:10:46 PM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 14
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 4:11:48 PM   
nukkxx5058

Well playing PBEM++ was my initial idea. Of course it's just a guess that the game could be recovered in case of trouble. But like you, I haven't had any trouble with the PBEM++ so far, so I'm rather optimist too... It's clearly the easiest and the most convenient way to play online, the lesser pain. So we give it a try ?

I will create the game on the server. Will send you the password by PM and will play my first turn by tomorrow, Europe time.
So stay tuned and you will receive the pw in your PM box on the forum so that you can accept the challenge. Hold on ... working on it ...

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 15
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 4:15:02 PM   
mdanz

Nice!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 16
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 4:18:02 PM   
nukkxx5058

Game created. Check your PM inbox for the password :-)

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 17
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 7:07:37 PM   
gwgardner

I hope you guys will do at least an occasional update to the forum on how this big scenario goes - any problems you encounter with the scenario itself, or better yet, if it goes well.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 18
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/13/2019 10:07:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I hope you guys will do at least an occasional update to the forum on how this big scenario goes - any problems you encounter with the scenario itself, or better yet, if it goes well.

An AAR would be ideal.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 19
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/14/2019 1:41:25 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

An AAR would be ideal.

Guys, can't promise an AAR (who knows ...) but some periodical updates, definitely.

Post #: 20
RE: World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player - 1/17/2019 9:00:20 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hi guys, I created a AAR topic if you want to follow the progress of the war :-)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4581823&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Opponents Wanted >> [Closed] World at War 41-45: looking for an Allies player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI