Stargate - Eye of Apophis - Beta 0.52 Update Released

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rjord2021

Stargate - Eye of Apophis - Beta 0.52 Update Released

Post by rjord2021 »

8 Years ago a number of people requested a mod be created for Stargate...... and today I announce that the Stargate mod is finally being released.

What is the mod about:

The Wraith have arrived in the Milky Way Galaxy and unleashed a virus which has begun to shut down the Stargate network, preventing people escaping via their Stargates when Wraith Darts begin culling people from their world.

While most Stargates are still operational, more are shutting down every day as the virus spreads.

Stargate Command has issued orders for all SG teams to locate the Wraith and advise Command when they are located at which time a coordinated effort will be made to push the Wraith out of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Unknown to the SGC power hungry Goa'uld System Warlords have also taken the gradual shutdown of the Stargate network as an opportunity to wage war against less powerful Goa'uld.

Other Goa'uld have teemed together to destroy Earth and the SGC.

While war ravages the galaxy neither is aware that a new evil known as the Replicators have arrived in our galaxy and are a threat far greater than the Wraith and Goa'uld combined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FILE DOWNLOAD AREA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Mod Files Version: Beta 0.51 (532MB)
Microsoft Onedrive Link 0.51 Main Mod
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgNg3YuwkZJPhIpm13c2VxPnQmD9qA

Update Beta 0.51 to Beta 0.52 (147KB)
-Fixes a number of issues with the race family
-Biases between races have been updated based on actual alliances or enemy status
Link upgrade to 0.52:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgNg3YuwkZJPhIpoQElBT0ASkpxfGA

Attachments
about.jpg
about.jpg (254.62 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
rjord2021

Stargate - Eye of Apophis

Post by rjord2021 »

I have added 11 of the 23 races of the mod so far... so on track to finishing races by end of today.

The more difficult part will be creating 8 new shipsets for the mod with none of the ships for the 23 races being vanilla Distant World Ships. All new with this mod.

Due to who 15 of the races are in the mod I will also have to change the text in the gameplay.

Example. The opening screen of the game where the game tells you that you are the ruler of <race name here>.
This one line just does not work with the mod and will need to be changed for this mod.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

It took exactly 23 hours.... with breaks and sleeping overnight..... to get this mod to a stage where I have the mod files updated with details and images for all 23 races that will appear in the mod.

A day is roughly how long it takes to create a minimalist mod for Distant Worlds.

The additional time taken will be with adding custom ships, star systems, adding new characters and balancing the mod.

This is what will be happening over the next 5 or 6 days.

When people learn how to mod in Distant Worlds there is no reason why new minimal mods can't come out on a daily basis.
Arturo28

RE: Mystery Mod - January 17 Release

Post by Arturo28 »

Interesting......
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

With the Stargate mod I am currently testing the different factions of Goa'uld who share a dislike for the home of SG1 but also have a dislike for other Goa'uld .

The race bias and race families are being worked on to give the Goa'uld such as Anubis, Apophis, Amaunet, Adria and Hathor an unknown bias towards Earth and each other.

Skaara also makes his appearance in the mod.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Have reached stage of testing Goa'uld and Tau'ri ships and bases.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

After the Goa'uld the Wraith are my next favourite race in Stargate and today I have added in both Goa'uld as well as Wraith characters and portraits.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

With the Goa'uld you get to select from 15 Queens or System Lords as playable races..... However, overall there are 31 Goa'uld System Lords / Queens you may encounter in the mod.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Preview picture of the Wraith Darts..... still to be given correct size.

Attachments
TheWraith.jpg
TheWraith.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
rjord2021

Stargate (24th to 31st Jan Release)

Post by rjord2021 »

Stargate - Eye of ApophisA test of one of the Ori ships.... a rough look and not the final version of this ship.

Attachments
TheOri.jpg
TheOri.jpg (115.26 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

A Cheops class Goa'uld Warship

Attachments
TheGoauld.jpg
TheGoauld.jpg (158.52 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

After reviewing where I am with the mod development I have have had to extend the release date to a period between the 24th and 31st January.

This is so I don't put too much pressure on myself and allows me to complete designing the ship graphics for the game.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Testing an early version of a Goa'uld Ha´tak

Attachments
TheGoauldHatakjpg.jpg
TheGoauldHatakjpg.jpg (129.23 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Today I have been collecting the names and race of every character who has appeared in every episode of the 10 years of SG1 (213 episodes) and 5 years of Atlantis (100 episodes) to identify the characters to be added to the mod.

While most of the characters will be from SG1 you will see characters from Atlantis appear in the mod as well.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The method I am using to add characters to the mod makes sure I add every character that should appear in each specific race.

For example even the parents of Daniel Jackson, (Melburn and Claire Jackson who are both scientists) have a place in this mod.

The picture below shows Ja'din who was a Goa'uld Underlord who only appeared in one episode before she was killed in a fiery explosion.

Ja'din is an interesting character and will have a much longer lifetime in this mod.

Attachments
Jadin.jpg
Jadin.jpg (96.7 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Some changes happening with the Wraith in this mod..

First.... the Wraith homeworld is simply known as the "Wraith Homeworld"... I am changing that in the mod.
It is believed that the Wraith originated from the Iratus Bug which fed on humans resulting in the birth of the Wraith species. The Iratus Bug was seen in Atlantis when John Sheppard was attempting to escape a Wraith warrior and was suddenly attacked by an Iratus bug which latched onto his neck.

It would make sense that the homeworld of the Wraith should be called Iratus.

Secondly the Wraith were never given names except for names such as Steve, Bob and Jimmy given them by the humans..... that is one thing I just hated and I am going to change this for the mod.

After Atlantis left the Pegasus galaxy, a new Wraith queen arose, Queen Death. Queen Death was a "queen of queens" and began forcibly uniting the hive ships under her control with none able to stand against her. Within six months, even Todd's alliance was down to a single hive ship.

Queen Death is a much better name than Shirley or Rose.

In their society the Wraith exist in the following castes:
- Queen Caste ·
- Commander Caste
- Warrior Caste
- Hunter Caste
- Keeper Caste

For this mod I am going to assign the Wraith with names based on the Caste they belong too using a naming technique similar to Queen Death as this would make more sense than calling a Wraith Steve or Trevor.

Attachments
Wraith Queen.jpg
Wraith Queen.jpg (360.92 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I have added more races to the mod including another one from the Pegasus Galaxy.

The Travelers escaped being culled by the Wraith by hiding aboard generational ships which can travel throughout the Pegasus galaxy. It is logical that this race would eventually make it to the Milky Way.

They only appeared in 2 episodes but there was a lot of potential for more stories with the Travelers.

Picture below of Larrin

Attachments
Travelers.jpg
Travelers.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Have added 135 Tau'ri characters to the mod..... the Tau'ri are of course what humans from Earth are known as.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Today I am working on how to get the Replicators working in the mod. As far as names go there are only 9 known Replicators.

I imagine some Stargate fans may want to play as the Replicators so I am working on an idea on how to make them a playable race in the mod.

Below: Replicator Cruiser Test

Attachments
Replicator Cruiser.jpg
Replicator Cruiser.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The next 12 hours will be spent adding even more races to the mod..... this is to add more allies for the Tau'ri who in 26 races currently in the mod only had 6 allies.

The total number of races has been worked out and there will 35 races in the mod over all.

Return to “Design and Modding”