OT: Question about CID Men

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

OT: Question about CID Men

Post by Footslogger »

I have a friend that used to be part of the CID.

If I was in the military and I'm visited by the CID, what should I do?

I'm asking from vets who have served, since I never got to serve.

BTW. My friend says that the CID is there to help you?

BBfanboy

RE: OT: Question about CID Men

Post by BBfanboy »

Just watch the M*A*S*H episode with Col. Flagg ...
FLAGG: I’m with the C.I.D., although I told your boss I’m with the C.I.A. It throws people off who think I’m with the C.I.C.

FRANK: When that flag goes up the pole every morning, I go with it.
HAWKEYE: We have a hell of a time at night folding him and putting him away.

FLAGG: I’m with the C.I.C.
MARGARET: Not the C.I.A.?
FLAGG: No. I just tell people that so they’ll think I’m with the C.I.D.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
spence

Post by spence »

It is unlikely that the CID (Criminal Investigative Division or some such - the function was performed by Coast Guard Intelligence when I was in) is there to help YOU but if you knowingly tell them a lie about something YOU will have a problem cause it sorta like lying to the FBI or Congress. At that point "the ball will be entirely in their court" as to whether they pursue it.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you are playing this game and screw up royally, the CID may come by to make sure you're not in cahoots with the enemy. If that happens tell them "no, I'm not in cahoots with the enemy, I'm just an imbecile".

adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

If you are playing this game and screw up royally, the CID may come by to make sure you're not in cahoots with the enemy. If that happens tell them "no, I'm not in cahoots with the enemy, I'm just an imbecile".

Hahahah
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

About 12 years ago there was a college party district in Seoul (Hongik University) declared off-limits to GIs due to an incident of a GI pulling a knife on a Korean (luckily nobody got hurt, but it created an international incident). I used to go trolling there at the time (now I'm too old for that, and I'm married) and I'd usually run into GIs at the more popular spots. I'd try to talk to them since if I found out they had served in the Sandbox, I'd buy them a beer. One time I talked to a guy who had an obvious Army haircut (2ID required USMC-like cuts at the time) with a Carolina accent try to claim he was a Canadian English teacher, which was hilarious. Anyway, I talked to a more open guy about that and he said I looked like an undercover CID man trying to bust them for being in an off-limits location. That day I learned the CID's powers are vast, or at least perceived as such.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Just watch the M*A*S*H episode with Col. Flagg ...
FLAGG: I’m with the C.I.D., although I told your boss I’m with the C.I.A. It throws people off who think I’m with the C.I.C.

FRANK: When that flag goes up the pole every morning, I go with it.
HAWKEYE: We have a hell of a time at night folding him and putting him away.

FLAGG: I’m with the C.I.C.
MARGARET: Not the C.I.A.?
FLAGG: No. I just tell people that so they’ll think I’m with the C.I.D.

CID is not considered part of the "intelligence" arm of our national defenses.
Flagg on MASH was NOT CID, more likely army G2, which is the intelligence gathering arm of the army, concerning internal intel investigations, whereas CID concerns criminal investigations.
My dad and I were both involved in the "intel" business in the army, and I was involved in both "intel" and criminal investigations at separate times.

G2 investigates intel issues within your own army...S2 investigates intel issues of the enemy.
CID is purely criminal investigations, one step higher than MPI would investigate.

The thing they all have in common is that all of their work is stored at the same facility, and is all collated by one agency.

wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

It is NOT a preferred condition, that is for sure. In the early 1980s we pull into a foreign port and the quarterdeck call's up to the Ship's Office (YN1, Retired is me). "Is (ME) there? NIS wants to talk to him."

A few minutes of panic.

This was in the old days when copiers left traces of what they copied so there were limited numbers of area specific SECRET documents. When you transited into/out of SIXTH FLEET (or any other forward area) you normally traded documents with whoever was going the other way. I signed for the documents. Back then you sent receipts - one for you, one for who you transferred it to, one for some repository back home. They tracked some of them and there was a receipt with my name for something going one way, but the one that went back to the States didn't get there. My name was the last one they had so they rang up the local NIS and when my ship docked...

FORTUNATELY I had MY copy of the receipt. On the way out they would stop by the Executive Officer and assure him I had done no wrong, someone else was at fault.

For the rest of my military career I was absolutely PARANOID about the handing of Classified Material. And I have VERY strong views on how the people that mishandle the stuff should be treated (Corporal Manning should never be walking the earth as a free human, there are other higher profile cases...)

Hopefully if the reason for the visit was something where you were not at fault they will reassure your superiors of that.
Bill Goin
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I see nothing... I hear nothing... I know nothing... [:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

This was in the old days when copiers left traces of what they copied...
Today's copiers leave almost invisible dot patterns that identify where and when a copy was made. [8|]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”