port size

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

goodwoodrw

port size

Post by goodwoodrw »

How do you increase the size of a port?
Formerly Goodwood

Helpless

RE: port size

Post by Helpless »

Port size is static and can be changed only in editor.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Darn in the Italy campaign I have secured Sicily and I am preparing to invade the Italian mainland, but it appears its going to take the best part of 10 turns to accumulate enough prep points. With an amphib HQ and DIvs they appear to be only getting 5 point per turn, Is there a way to increase the number of points each turn.
Formerly Goodwood

Searry

Post by Searry »

Hi, invade from the largest ports only. IIRC it's possible from a few ports in Africa and Sicily to do it quickly. Also, take Sardinia and Corsica with paras and maybe 1 invading division.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

So reship units back to Africa to invade the mainland of Italy Mmmm was that the way they did it historically.
Formerly Goodwood

loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

Darn in the Italy campaign I have secured Sicily and I am preparing to invade the Italian mainland, but it appears its going to take the best part of 10 turns to accumulate enough prep points. With an amphib HQ and DIvs they appear to be only getting 5 point per turn, Is there a way to increase the number of points each turn.

while you can't increase port size, you can decrease it temporarily. Combat and bombing will do damage, that damage reduces the port but repairs.

if the port is a #1 or #2, place a TF either in or adjacent and it will repair in a turn. Larger you need to make sure there is a vacant slot (ie less than 3 counters), put it on priority repair and the AI will send a construction unit.

Doing this, you should have Palermo and Catania up and running pretty soon.

But yes, the secondary naval invasions were indeed launched from N Africa. Its also supply efficient in the game. Units sat prepping in Sicily are consuming naval capacity to pull in their supply and their supply isn't then going to the combat frontline units in Italy. Sat in N Africa you have larger ports and the supply is readily available.

I tend to use Palermo and N Africa for my second wave of invasions. Palermo may not be ready till you want to invade near Rome at the end of 1943.
Dobey455

Post by Dobey455 »

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

So reship units back to Africa to invade the mainland of Italy Mmmm was that the way they did it historically.

Historically the invasion of Italy was by the British 8th Army (over the straits of Messina) and by the US Fifth Army coming from ports in Algeria and Tunisia.
There was no need to ship anyone back as the Fifth Army had never been involved in the invasion of Sicily.

The African ports were still being used to stage amphibious invasions in the Med as late as operation Dragoon.

There is an "invasion planner" that dereck posted to the forums some time ago that helps to calculate how long you will need to prep for an invasion based upon ports size and number \ size of units http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3783691&mpage=1&key=invasion%2Cplanner� see if that helps

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”