Newbie questions

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
ivanov

Newbie questions

Post by ivanov »

I'm going through the tutorials, playing Kasserine ATM. The questions start piling up in my head but unfortunately the manual is not very helpful. So let me start this thread with the question about the HQ's.

What is the function of the HQ's? Are they used for the supply, combat, both? What should I remember about when using them? Just keeping units within the HQ range is fine or should I keep them on or near the supply sources?

I've noticed, that in Kasserine scenario the Germans don't have HQ units. Why?

Thanks in advance.
Lest we forget.
demyansk

RE: Newbie questions

Post by demyansk »

I try to keep my units within close range to each other and the HQ units on the road or city. However, I am not the expert on this.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Their main purpose is supply - they increase supply by 50%, if their units are adjacent to the HQ. And often they have artillery with range 1 (e.g. divisional artillery), so they can even provide artillery support. And if I remember correctly, their command squads lower the chances to go into reorganisation.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

HQ's can have multiple uses, and can even be useless. Check their Equipment and their Special Abilities by hitting the 'U' key.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
HQ's can have multiple uses, and can even be useless.
[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Thanks guys. And do they have command range or the units have to be adjacent to them in order to benefit from their support?
Lest we forget.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ivanov

Thanks guys. And do they have command range or the units have to be adjacent to them in order to benefit from their support?
There is no "command range". The supply boost is only for cooperative adjacent units.

Designers have the option to put command squads and/or supply squads in their HQs. Loss of command squads can trigger reorganization of the HQ's formation (as can destruction of the HQ itself, regardless of presence of command squads). Loss of supply squads can reduce the formation's supply distribution efficiency.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

There is no "command range". The supply boost is only for cooperative adjacent units.

Designers have the option to put command squads and/or supply squads in their HQs. Loss of command squads can trigger reorganization of the HQ's formation (as can destruction of the HQ itself, regardless of presence of command squads). Loss of supply squads can reduce the formation's supply distribution efficiency.

Thank you. So from the looks of it, the HQ's represent the logistics and support assets, rather than C2 units?
Lest we forget.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Thank you. So from the looks of it, the HQ's represent the logistics and support assets, rather than C2 units?
Command & Control is impacted via the above.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

So for example a side that has no HQ's in the scenario ( Germans in Kasserine ) is in a better position, because it won't be affected negatively be the possible HQ destruction?
Lest we forget.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

So for example a side that has no HQ's in the scenario ( Germans in Kasserine ) is in a better position, because it won't be affected negatively be the possible HQ destruction?
To some extent. But then, it won't have the adjacent supply boost either.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

@Curtis Lemay thank you for your comments Sir.
Lest we forget.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Ok, I have two more questions.

OVERRUNS - they happen involuntarily, in situations that I sometimes don't want to resolve the attack intermediately, because I don't want to burn the turn time, before for example more important attacks get resolved. So the question is: do the overruns burn the turn time like any other attack?

SUPPLY - the supply sucesores are set at the beginning of the scenario and as you move, they obviously become more distant. Is there anything I have to actively do, in order to improve the units supply as they advance further from the supply sources? Is there for example an option of creating new supply depots or anything of that sort? Or maybe I should just take care of keeping the supply lines free from enemy units?
Lest we forget.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Ok, I have two more questions.

OVERRUNS - they happen involuntarily, in situations that I sometimes don't want to resolve the attack intermediately, because I don't want to burn the turn time, before for example more important attacks get resolved. So the question is: do the overruns burn the turn time like any other attack?

Overruns do not burn rounds. But they may place a BTS in the hex.
SUPPLY - the supply sucesores are set at the beginning of the scenario and as you move, they obviously become more distant. Is there anything I have to actively do, in order to improve the units supply as they advance further from the supply sources? Is there for example an option of creating new supply depots or anything of that sort? Or maybe I should just take care of keeping the supply lines free from enemy units?

Depends entirely on the scenario. A common way supply is extended is via rail lines - which generally have to be repaired upon capture. In other cases there may be supply points hidden in enemy territory, which would become effective only upon friendly capture.

Take my CFNA scenario, for example. The Commonwealth player can repair the rail line from Mersa Matruh to Tobruk. Meanwhile, the Axis player must take Tobruk for its supply point if he expects to be able to make a run for the pyramids.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Great info, thank you!
Lest we forget.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

I have a follow up question regarding the supply. I'm planning my first campaign against the USSR, so supply will be the issue. It's regarding the rail lines repair. From what I understand the repair is automatic, but there are also dedicated engineer units. How do I use them? Also, how do I see it the rial line is damaged? Is there any hotkey for that?
Lest we forget.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I have a follow up question regarding the supply. I'm planning my first campaign against the USSR, so supply will be the issue. It's regarding the rail lines repair. From what I understand the repair is automatic, but there are also dedicated engineer units. How do I use them? Also, how do I see it the rial line is damaged? Is there any hotkey for that?

Whether there is any automatic rail repair is up to the scenario designer. If there is any, it will be shown in the detailed Situation Report.

To manually repair rail, you must find units that have rail repair ability. The standard practice is to put such ability into units with the rail repair unit icon (see the attached screen shot). But, of course, designers can do whatever they want, so you may have a hunt on your hands.

Once you've found such units, the Unit Report shows their rail repair chances. In this case, the unit has a 43% chance to repair the rail line it is occupying. Note that those chances decrease as the unit moves, till they reach zero upon expending all the unit's MPs.

Notice that broken rail is shown by a dashed line. Functional rail is shown by a solid line.
Attachments
RailRepair1.jpg
RailRepair1.jpg (256.54 KiB) Viewed 489 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

To make the attempt, right click on the unit. If it has any rail repair ability, the option to make that attempt will be available.

Note that regardless of whether the attempt fails or succeeds, the unit's MPs are zeroed.
Attachments
RailRepair2.jpg
RailRepair2.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 489 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Excellent, thank you very much again!
Lest we forget.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Excellent, thank you very much again!
Have a look at the series of tutorials I have created in the past. They should help you in order to get started.

Tutorial '41: tm.asp?m=4382552
Tutorial '42: tm.asp?m=4387818
Tutorial '42 - Editor: tm.asp?m=4401098
Tutorial '43: tm.asp?m=4390285
Tutorial '43 - Combat: tm.asp?m=4394374
Tutorial '44: tm.asp?m=4397183
Tutorial '45: tm.asp?m=4412329

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”