Syrian SA-2b imprecise target

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Fizzy

Syrian SA-2b imprecise target

Post by Fizzy »

Playing around in the editor, I noticed that the SAM Bn (SA-2b Guideline [S-75 Dvina])(Syria-1968) cannot fire on anything using its own search and fire control radars. The fire control radar only actually tracks a target once a missile has been fired and the search radar isn't precise enough to fire in the first place.

I've tried with all kinds of planes from every era and the Guideline just never fires unless the contact can be precisely located by some other unit. If the contact does get precisely located for even a moment, the Guideline will fire and track it with the fire control radar just fine until there are no longer missiles in flight.

Is there something I'm overlooking in the game? Is this a bug I ought to report in tech support? Or can an SA-2b Guideline actually not rely on the Spoon Rest C [P-12] to locate a contact precisely enough to track with the Fan Song C [SNR-75]?
DWReese

RE: Syrian SA-2b imprecise target

Post by DWReese »

Sometimes when situations like this occur you find that it may be as a result of the db (or game) not being updated to the most recent files. I don't if that is your situation, but it may give you a place to start.

If you have updated, may I suggest that you provide a copy of the scenario to Tech Support, or post it for others to take a look at.

Doug
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

I was using the most recent db. This was the case in both the cold war database and the modern database for every SA-2 I tried. I'll see about saving a scenario that will reproduce it and post on tech support tomorrow if there isn't any new insight by then.
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

Well, there seems indeed to be a problem with the SA-2b engagement handling here. A workaround would be to add the SA-2 Camera as a sensor to the facility. The SA-2d versions have them in the database, that's why the problems don't occur with that version.
schaefjam1

Post by schaefjam1 »

SA-2 batteries usually were grouped as battalions with a regimental HQ that included Flat Face and/or Side Net radars to assist the batteries in locating and fixing targets.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”