Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Desert Storm maps v0.91

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Desert Storm maps v0.91 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Desert Storm maps v0.91 - 12/29/2018 9:23:50 AM   
storm rider

After a long time in the making I'm almost happy to release its first alpha version. The main problem with this map is that it being a desert plain, with imense quantity of shifting sand and varying soil moisture, the heightmaps from no matter what source (SRTM, Aster, Alos Palsar...) is extremely bumpy and noisy. A lot of work was put on how to properly de-noise the heightmaps: it's always a compromise, because it's impossible to get it perfectly, so choices need to be made as well as tons of trials and errors.

Last but not least, the choice of area also required a lot of testing and compromises had to be made. I tried to include the maximum in the limited area available and location the accurate positions of the historical events most of the time required a lot more than simply believing in wikipedia, which turned out to be very innacurate.

< Message edited by storm rider -- 1/6/2019 7:29:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Desert Storm maps - 12/31/2018 3:04:41 PM   
storm rider

Iraq-Kuwait NW Border v0.9

(in reply to storm rider)
Post #: 2
RE: Desert Storm maps - 1/3/2019 1:07:34 PM   
storm rider

Iraq_Kuwait NW Border v0.91
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1fbdv324obo5aaa/str_iraq_kuwait_nw_v091.zip/file

Post #: 3
RE: Desert Storm maps - 1/4/2019 8:37:19 AM   
noooooo

Great idea. Giving it a try.

Post #: 4
RE: Desert Storm maps v0.91 - 1/14/2019 10:01:23 AM   
tebeinteresno

quote:

ORIGINAL: storm rider

After a long time in the making I'm almost happy to release its first alpha version. The main problem with this map is that it being a desert plain, with imense quantity of shifting sand and varying soil moisture, the heightmaps from no matter what source (SRTM, Aster, Alos Palsar...) is extremely bumpy and noisy. A lot of work was put on how to properly de-noise the heightmaps: it's always a compromise, because it's impossible to get it perfectly, so choices need to be made as well as tons of trials and errors.

Its true that hieght data is kind a noisy.
You could try "smoothes" effect with dev tool.
Also you can do that in QGIS with denoiser plugin

also here is some tutorial
or mb a can add that tutorial in map-making tutorial.

Post #: 5
RE: Desert Storm maps v0.91 - 1/15/2019 8:02:22 AM   
storm rider

I used Saga, which has the Mesh Denoise plugin included as default. The process takes some time, specially because in that tutorial the guy is pretty conservative in the use of iterations and threshold.

So I, as I said:
quote:

A lot of work was put on how to properly de-noise the heightmaps: it's always a compromise, because it's impossible to get it perfectly, so choices need to be made as well as tons of trials and errors.

The best setting that I could get any reasonable result without destroying the general outline of the area was 120 iterations and 0.1 threshold. That's what the current maps have. The same map in Steel Beasts Pro PE, only required half of that.

(in reply to tebeinteresno)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Desert Storm maps v0.91 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI