Like twice as big especially landwise ;-D
seydlitz22513

RE: Bigger World Map, please

Post by seydlitz22513 »

+1
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

A modder or two will likely crank out a new scenario w/ bigger map at some point.
steelwarrior

Post by steelwarrior »

Cannot wait for it ;-D
elxaime

Post by elxaime »

Global War deserves to be on the same scale as War in Europe. Yes, this will be a mega map (which you can probably fudge in Siberia using off-map exit tracks). But it seems a bit cramped.
JVJ
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

The editor supports a 4 time bigger map (twice as long, twice as high, roughly). The issue though is the huge amount of work. First, the map must be imported from War in Europe, then extended to the world, and I don't think you can do without hand placing the coasts one by one, among the 600 or so possible tiles! Must be mind numbing...

Plus as you nudge the map, you have to check ALL scripts.

So it is within the realm of the possible and the engine, now I don't know who will have the time and energy for such a massive endeavor. It would need a team.
AGEOD Team
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Or, this could be the plan for the next SC game...
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Herbert already stated that if the community came up with a larger map that was decent he would consider adding it as an official part of the game.

This is exactly what happened with War in the Pacific. The original scale was 60 miles/hex and the community felt that was too large of a scale. So the community created a new map at 45 miles/hex. If that could be done for a map that covers the entire PTO from India to HI, then I see no reason it could not be done here if enough people want to band together to make it happen.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Please see this thread:
tm.asp?m=4184976

When Strategic Command WWII War in Europe came out, my very first idea was to adapt to the entire world using the same scale. But, this is impossible still using the 1.15 patch.

I did not insist because I thought the developers had voluntarily made this limit to allow a sequel. Thus, my surprise with this new game when the first report about the smaller map came out.
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

To follow, I did not buy the new game because of the map size. Could you please tell me if the editor has changed in Strategic Command WWII World at War?
Is the maximum size possible still limited to 512 x 256 hexes?

See the result with Strategic Command WWII War in Europe:
Attachments
SC3.jpg
SC3.jpg (59.1 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Compare it to a world map, you will see we will need much more hexagons to do the job:

Do we have them with the new game? Or, will we have them by patch?
Attachments
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
seydlitz22513

Post by seydlitz22513 »

Sorry to say World At War is still limited to 512 x 256 hexes?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Is it a ? or a ! [&:]
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

512 x 256 is really small for a world map.

Maybe you can cheat a little and do what Tweber did for his scenario World at War (for ATG). Still, the map would be very cramped.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Still playing SC Assault on Democracy pbem; -we are in 1943- a bit disappointed about land map after purchase WW2 at war. Maybe less sea hexes and off map boxes is ok but why not same land size as in SC War in Europe. It already runs faster with the new engine.
Titan

Post by Titan »

Ive been playing it for a bit now..Getting use to it, but it still has a compact squeezed in feel and still does not cut it as far as Manoeuvre warfare goes and my armies seem squashed and can't breath on the frontline. You dont need to many units to man the whole easterfront. I don't think it needs to be same scale as SC3 Europe at war...But a few extra hexes here and there like Middle east/Africa needs to be a few hexes longer and 1 or 2 more hexes in wide and long in Germany/france and Russia i think would go along way to have some elbow space to play in
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

I think China also a bit less about land hexes compared to SC Assault on Democracy.But not sure.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Hubert and Bill, do you see a reason not to increase the maximum number of hexes to make a world map at the same scale as War in Europe? Is there a limit that the engine will not support?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Hubert stated in another thread that one of their concerns with the bigger map was how long the turns would take. Both in PBEM and by the AI. Not to mention the much larger effort involved to create such a bigger map.

But I would happily pay an extra $20 for a bigger map [:)]
seydlitz22513

Post by seydlitz22513 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Hubert stated in another thread that one of their concerns with the bigger map was how long the turns would take. Both in PBEM and by the AI. Not to mention the much larger effort involved to create such a bigger map.

But I would happily pay an extra $20 for a bigger map [:)]

Make that a +1 I would also happily pay an extra $20 for a bigger map, the bigger the better as much as the game engine can cope with.[;)]

While we are on the subject of map sizes, what is the current hex value in miles for the World at War map? Is it 35 - 40 miles per hex? If that is the case then all Rocket, Artillery etc with a strike range of 2 can hit targets 70 - 80 miles away that can't be right? Worse still Railguns have a strike range of 3 which is 105 - 120 miles range yeh right and that's going to happen eh!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”