Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I decided to take the plunge !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> I decided to take the plunge ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/27/2018 8:30:30 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi guys ! I have WITW for some time but haven't played yet. I also have WITE and despite the fact that I'm still a beginner I'm greatly enjoying it (particularly as Soviets). So, and as I'm having some free time these days, I decided to try my first GC in WITW.
My question is simple: given that I have "some" experience with WITE, would you advise me to start as Allies or Axis ? Which side is the easiest to play for a beginner like me ? My guess was that defending is easier because less air ops and the air model is very different from the one of WITE. What so you guys think ? Would you pick allies or axis in my case ?

Thanks

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 12/27/2018 8:31:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/27/2018 11:15:57 PM   
Searry

Hi. I would say start playing smaller scenarios. If you have the expansion, Torch is very nice as either side.
For the main campaign, I would say axis first to learn about the Italy stuff and what you might face as allies. I haven't played against the AI a lot but it's unlikely the Axis will even try to defend Italy properly.
Allies have a huge micromanagement part each turn for the air stuff and especially the first turn can take many hours to complete.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/28/2018 7:57:07 AM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks. No I don't have the DLC. But anyway, I prefer to start with the whole thing :-) I play the AI so no issue if I miserably fail.
Another question : what other significant differences with WITE except from the Air model I should be aware of ?

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 3
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/28/2018 8:29:04 AM   
loki100

One bit that has a real impact is that the c_v ratio is often misleading. A well placed brigade can look very powerful but will lose if it with multiple divisions. Esp if you prepare with air strikes

Watch out for the supply system - totally different.

I really would suggest play Husky for invasions, Breakout to learn about the role of tactical air power and one of the other 1944 scenarios to get a handle on the supply system. I think you'll end up enjoying the game more this way

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/28/2018 9:37:26 AM   
Searry

General tips.

Allies:
There's a few units you can break down into SUs or build them up as full units. E.G, you might want a British armored brigade dashing forwards in southern Italy for example after they are done fighting in Sicily as SUs. All 3 parts need to be in the same HQ.
Cover your naval units and when you transport your land units with a lot of aircraft. You can never have enough naval interdiction on your side, always check the best routes when moving anything navally, still they get hit but try to minimize the losses. Take care of the TFs as they take a long time to repair. Prioritize capturing the largest ports for good supply. Don't forget railroad repair. Use your TFs for land bombardments in coastal hexes. Commandos are really good in TFs, keep them there. You have more paratroopers in Britain, I would bring them to Italy for paradrops. Remember to bring back heavy CV and important units(paras) back to Britain for the invasion in France. If you are having supply issues, you can fly freight to depots with your unused transports.

Axis:
Always take care of your garrison requirements!!!!
If you want to play with EF box, send your infantry to Russia and bring back your mountaineer infantry and maybe some heavy hitting mobile division for counter attacking capability, I prefer the Grossdeutschland.
Prepare slowly for a landing in France. Put some forces on top of Italian forces in Sardinia and Corsica to make sure they don't flip to the allied side. Evacuate high value units from the islands(and check future TOEs). Protect your high value troops from wastage, this includes stupid attacks, interdicted hexes, movement on foot or mounted when you can move via rail. Keep note of your supply depots and manage them accordingly and build new ones. Make defense layers in Italy e.g fight in the south while protecting Rome area and always keep troops in ports so the landings aren't free, I wouldn't fight in Sicily too long because the allies might cut you off from retreat. Get highly skilled defensive commanders, initiative is the most important value for reserve activations. They cost a lot of PP but they are worth it. Micromanage your tank divisions. Put them in depots or for best results, rail them to national supply and put them on refit one by one to replenish them as needed. Rotate them in and out of fights.

< Message edited by Searry -- 12/28/2018 9:46:52 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/28/2018 5:25:37 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks guys !! The game seems more complex then WITE ...

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 6
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/29/2018 1:51:17 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Hi guys ! I have WITW for some time but haven't played yet. I also have WITE and despite the fact that I'm still a beginner I'm greatly enjoying it (particularly as Soviets). So, and as I'm having some free time these days, I decided to try my first GC in WITW.
My question is simple: given that I have "some" experience with WITE, would you advise me to start as Allies or Axis ? Which side is the easiest to play for a beginner like me ? My guess was that defending is easier because less air ops and the air model is very different from the one of WITE. What so you guys think ? Would you pick allies or axis in my case ?

Thanks

Play as the Allies. They (should) win.

You can let the AI handle the air when playing either side.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 7
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/29/2018 7:02:58 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland
Play as the Allies. They (should) win.

You can let the AI handle the air when playing either side.

But I also have a problem with embarking/landing/disembark troops or use paratroopers ... not sure how to do it. But you're right, playing the allies seems more fun, and I'm not talking about winning but learning the game ...

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 8
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/29/2018 7:28:47 AM   
zakblood

my tips are maybe different than everyone else's,

play on easy to start with,
FOW off,
play as the Allies on the smallest battles,

don't alter any settings until you draw then win on all of the smaller ones,

let the AI do the air part, and don't alter anything until you feel you have enough understanding on the air manual to do it better than the AI does it for you.

paratroopers, well it's a mixed bag, for me i tend to not drop them and use them as ground troops only, as if it goes wrong, the cost of loosing a high end unit like these can be high, so i don't take the risk, the gains can be great, but balanced with the costs if it goes wrong, i ferry / ship them almost all of the time.

until you fully understand how air power works, it's the best option imo, as once you master the air part, then you know how to fly CAP and interdiction and even marine patrols to make sure all your units arrive safely, well almost all,...

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 9
RE: I decided to take the plunge ! - 12/30/2018 3:40:07 PM   
Sardaukar

Westwall is good scenario.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> I decided to take the plunge ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI