Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades - 12/21/2018 7:58:43 PM   
apbarog

I've had an AS at Pearl Harbor and an AE at San Francisco. Both are overdue for an upgrade, and both have been set to upgrade for days. Neither would do so. They both require at least a size 5 shipyard, and that is satisfied. I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't upgrade.

Then I noticed that they are using 1000 ops points every day. I don't know why that is, as neither is required for operations at these large ports, but both had supply loaded and were using points every day. Apparently this can prevent the ship from upgrading.

I unloaded the supply from the AS and, sure enough, it went into upgrade. I'm in the process of doing the same with the AE.

Tens of thousands of hours playing the game, and still learning.
Post #: 1
RE: Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades - 12/21/2018 9:49:31 PM   
BBfanboy

I have known for a long time that the ship must be unloaded before the upgrade can start, but just a week or two ago found out that the ship will start self-unloading if the upgrade is set to Yes and it is disbanded with supply still on board.

And then of course once the upgrade starts you can use the "Load Tender" button to put the supply right back on board!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2
RE: Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades - 12/21/2018 10:57:00 PM   
apbarog

Ah ok. That would explain why the ship was using 1000 Ops points and slowly unloading its supply. I couldn't figure that out. I could see that there were no subs needing the AS or any ships needing rearming from the AE. It was set to not unload, so it was a mystery.

Thanks BBfanboy.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades - 12/22/2018 1:30:45 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I have known for a long time that the ship must be unloaded before the upgrade can start, but just a week or two ago found out that the ship will start self-unloading if the upgrade is set to Yes and it is disbanded with supply still on board.

And then of course once the upgrade starts you can use the "Load Tender" button to put the supply right back on board!

That is some smart programming! Cheers to the devs!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades - 12/24/2018 2:04:33 PM   
Macclan5

Yes I learned this too albeit with precious AO's !!

Every turn I was 'Loading tenders'. And every turn next they were at less than maximum and draining into Port.

Being somewhat OCD of course (I do love this game) I want my entire flotilla disbanded in port to contain the maximum support supplies every turn LOL

However as I missed a port over a couple turns the AO's went into pier side status and updated solving the conundrum.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 5
RE: Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades - 12/26/2018 7:30:43 PM   
Korvar

I find that one of the (many) areas where Tracker shines is for making preparations for ship upgrades.

At the beginning of any game month, I begin looking at the ship upgrades due next month - looking first at what ships require a certain level of shipyard to upgrade. Then I evaluate how far each ship currently is from an appropriate port/shipyard, and make plans to begin winding them down from operations to begin making the transit in the 2nd and 3rd weeks (depending on distance to port). For any cargo-carrying vessels (including auxiliaries), I put them into temporary Transport TFs in port and set them to unload while docked (if possible) and then to auto-disband in port. For the most part I get a good proportion of available upgrades to fire at the beginning of the month, with the only limitation usually being shipyard capacity. Setting the now-upgrading ships from Shipyard to Pierside repair mode then frees up shipyard capacity for the next batch of ships to begin upgrading on the next turn.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Learned Something New about Ship Upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI