How about a game on WWII Naval Battles?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

canuckgamer

How about a game on WWII Naval Battles?

Post by canuckgamer »

I am a fan of the WEGO system and have been playing the Combat Mission series for the last 20 years. I am going to buy Desert War 40-42 because it uses the WEGO system. Two key advantages of having a computer wargame is fog of war and you can use the WEGO system where you don't know what orders your opponent has given and the turn is resolved simultaneously after both sides have input their orders.
I would like to see Matrix or Slitherine release a game on naval battles in World War II using the WEGO system and obviously fog of war. I would also like the option of playing it PBEM. Scenarios such as Midway, Coral Sea, the hunt for the Bismarck come to mind. I have HPSSIMS Midway but it is online play only and there are no graphics unless you consider "TF2" or the ship name as graphics.
I know about Carriers at War but given that it was released in 2007 I wouldn't think it is much different than HPSSIMS Midway.
bazjak

RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles?

Post by bazjak »

As an ex seaman myself that was in what was probably the last major naval engagemaent i to would like to sea a naval version as i love ships
As im British we have a great history of battles at sea so you can go back to the sail days as well
Theres a lot to choose from
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer
I am a fan of the WEGO system and have been playing the Combat Mission series for the last 20 years.
Wow, it is getting dangerously close to 20 years soon! (Where do you suppose THAT time went?!?)

But more to the point canuckgamer, why don't you just keep playing canuck? It'd save you money and the aggro of the search for a perfect game to replace canuck.

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Yes the "naval" gener in wargaming is some what forgotten to some extent, same as the "cold war" era. Although we recently have "Armored Brigade" as a cold war playthrough.

As a fan aswell for "maritime" warfare as it makes use of "combined arms", all I can suggest is that you have a look at CMANO (Command Modern Air Naval Operations), or in other words, what was once "Harppon3" for PC. Although it´s not WEGO, as it´s a RTS, you can spend ages playing CMANO and it´gets alot of updates too.

I like it so much, as I was once a big fan of Janes "Fleet Command", that I have even went for the real deal, which is it´s boardgame version. Iam currently waiting to recive a mint copy of "The Admiralty Trilogy" (Clash of Arms) "High Tide" miniatures rule set which uses the Harpoon 4 rules, in this case v4.1 of the rules.

The Admiralty Trilogy:
http://www.admiraltytrilogy.com/

BGG: High Tide...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/11431/high-tide

Or you can go for the "Command at Sea" series which is focused on WWII...
https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/7981/Admiralty-Trilogy-Group?src=browse7981

Another alternative for PC is "Juntland" by Storm Powered which is on sale today...
http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/store/index.asp

It´s a old engine but still a good one. Can´t say how good is support and/or if it´s even active but do take in mind that you do need the Storm Powered app to run/launch the game and it does use a DRM system!

Red
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Although not WWII, can't forget about Rule the Waves and Steam & Iron series for WWI era...great games for ship combat....Rule the Waves II is in development which I believe will be WWII oriented.

https://store.nws-online.net/nawasi.html
operating

Post by operating »

Bought all of my HPS games (roughly 10) through NWS. This is a site that the OP should check out for naval games.. NWS would discount $10 lower than HPS site in the past and presently looks to have a pretty good sale going on now.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

I am a fan of the WEGO system and have been playing the Combat Mission series for the last 20 years. I am going to buy Desert War 40-42 because it uses the WEGO system. Two key advantages of having a computer wargame is fog of war and you can use the WEGO system where you don't know what orders your opponent has given and the turn is resolved simultaneously after both sides have input their orders.
I would like to see Matrix or Slitherine release a game on naval battles in World War II using the WEGO system and obviously fog of war. I would also like the option of playing it PBEM. Scenarios such as Midway, Coral Sea, the hunt for the Bismarck come to mind. I have HPSSIMS Midway but it is online play only and there are no graphics unless you consider "TF2" or the ship name as graphics.
I know about Carriers at War but given that it was released in 2007 I wouldn't think it is much different than HPSSIMS Midway.

Have a look at this. https://store.steampowered.com/app/9592 ... ship_Game/

It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it's a WWII naval game and that species seems to be almost extinct.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well I don't know if you are looking for board games or software based on Naval Tactics in WWII. I did like the Great Naval Battles Volume III Fury in the Pacific, sadly gotta use DosBox for that one.

Now for the board games, there isn't really any good ones out there and mostly simply rules. Btw I am working on something, but not sure when I get it done, hopefully I get it out next year. I still have this expensive War in the Pacific 2nd here, map on the wall, etc. The rules for naval engagement is a joke. So I looked everywhere and bought a lot of rules and see how things are setup, they sucks! lol.

Anyway when I get it up and running, I will post it and see if any of you guys will be interesting.
somdude

Post by somdude »

Naval battles would be nice
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

http://killerfishgames.com/games/atlantic-fleet

Not WEGO, it's turn based by still a good game.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Take a look over at subsim.com - in the forums there you can find info on some indie games and other ones in development - Naval Battles Simulator and Battleship Command are 2 noteworthy ones - Battleship Command is built built around playing as the Scharnhorst in a dynamic campaign it sounds .

Also Rule the Waves 2 is in development

but i nevertheless second your sentiments - more ww2 naval games, like a newer version of Great Naval Battles and Action Stations would be killer!
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

The old Destroyer Command was good as well
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

I would push around a fleet at Jutland or Trafalgar... And anything WW2.
Rod T DeMore
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

You must absolutely try "Atlantic Fleet", the engine is very good, innovative gameplay, fantastic graphics and low spec !

http://killerfishgames.com/games/atlantic-fleet

somdude

Post by somdude »

thx :)
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

If only Atlantic Fleet had multiplayer it would be an old AH Bismarck players dream game. Sadly only AI play :(
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Well, it's on sale for $5 on Steam.

I actually bought the Battleships & Carriers game. Thanks for the recommendation. Simple stuff, but a lot of content.
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

Atlantic Fleet for PC is a great game, but you MUST! get the 'Surface Fleet Mod' which toned down the over the top Sub and Airstrike actions from the original game.
Heia Safari
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

There also Pacific Fleet too, haven't gotten it and not sure if worth picking up.

Return to “General Discussion”