Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How about a game on WWII Naval Battles?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/20/2018 9:36:42 PM   
canuckgamer

I am a fan of the WEGO system and have been playing the Combat Mission series for the last 20 years. I am going to buy Desert War 40-42 because it uses the WEGO system. Two key advantages of having a computer wargame is fog of war and you can use the WEGO system where you don't know what orders your opponent has given and the turn is resolved simultaneously after both sides have input their orders.
I would like to see Matrix or Slitherine release a game on naval battles in World War II using the WEGO system and obviously fog of war. I would also like the option of playing it PBEM. Scenarios such as Midway, Coral Sea, the hunt for the Bismarck come to mind. I have HPSSIMS Midway but it is online play only and there are no graphics unless you consider "TF2" or the ship name as graphics.
I know about Carriers at War but given that it was released in 2007 I wouldn't think it is much different than HPSSIMS Midway.
Post #: 1
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/21/2018 8:51:44 AM   
bazjak

As an ex seaman myself that was in what was probably the last major naval engagemaent i to would like to sea a naval version as i love ships
As im British we have a great history of battles at sea so you can go back to the sail days as well
Theres a lot to choose from

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/21/2018 9:49:50 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer
I am a fan of the WEGO system and have been playing the Combat Mission series for the last 20 years.

Wow, it is getting dangerously close to 20 years soon! (Where do you suppose THAT time went?!?)

But more to the point canuckgamer, why don't you just keep playing canuck? It'd save you money and the aggro of the search for a perfect game to replace canuck.

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Post #: 3
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/21/2018 10:35:51 AM   
Red2112

Yes the "naval" gener in wargaming is some what forgotten to some extent, same as the "cold war" era. Although we recently have "Armored Brigade" as a cold war playthrough.

As a fan aswell for "maritime" warfare as it makes use of "combined arms", all I can suggest is that you have a look at CMANO (Command Modern Air Naval Operations), or in other words, what was once "Harppon3" for PC. Although it´s not WEGO, as it´s a RTS, you can spend ages playing CMANO and it´gets alot of updates too.

I like it so much, as I was once a big fan of Janes "Fleet Command", that I have even went for the real deal, which is it´s boardgame version. Iam currently waiting to recive a mint copy of "The Admiralty Trilogy" (Clash of Arms) "High Tide" miniatures rule set which uses the Harpoon 4 rules, in this case v4.1 of the rules.

The Admiralty Trilogy:
http://www.admiraltytrilogy.com/

BGG: High Tide...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/11431/high-tide

Or you can go for the "Command at Sea" series which is focused on WWII...
https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/7981/Admiralty-Trilogy-Group?src=browse7981

Another alternative for PC is "Juntland" by Storm Powered which is on sale today...
http://www.stormpowered.com/stormcloud/store/index.asp

It´s a old engine but still a good one. Can´t say how good is support and/or if it´s even active but do take in mind that you do need the Storm Powered app to run/launch the game and it does use a DRM system!

Red

Win10(x64), i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 4
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/21/2018 10:46:21 AM   
Red2112

Juntland YT video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW0erNhyOeE&list=PLlUX4ALH7zTN308lrhZfqkZPEE1nhUq9m

Red

Win10(x64), i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 5
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/21/2018 10:58:11 AM   
Grim.Reaper

Although not WWII, can't forget about Rule the Waves and Steam & Iron series for WWI era...great games for ship combat....Rule the Waves II is in development which I believe will be WWII oriented.

https://store.nws-online.net/nawasi.html

< Message edited by Grim.Reaper -- 12/21/2018 10:59:37 AM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 6
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/21/2018 4:10:29 PM   
operating

Bought all of my HPS games (roughly 10) through NWS. This is a site that the OP should check out for naval games.. NWS would discount $10 lower than HPS site in the past and presently looks to have a pretty good sale going on now.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 7
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 12:06:52 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

I am a fan of the WEGO system and have been playing the Combat Mission series for the last 20 years. I am going to buy Desert War 40-42 because it uses the WEGO system. Two key advantages of having a computer wargame is fog of war and you can use the WEGO system where you don't know what orders your opponent has given and the turn is resolved simultaneously after both sides have input their orders.
I would like to see Matrix or Slitherine release a game on naval battles in World War II using the WEGO system and obviously fog of war. I would also like the option of playing it PBEM. Scenarios such as Midway, Coral Sea, the hunt for the Bismarck come to mind. I have HPSSIMS Midway but it is online play only and there are no graphics unless you consider "TF2" or the ship name as graphics.
I know about Carriers at War but given that it was released in 2007 I wouldn't think it is much different than HPSSIMS Midway.

Have a look at this. https://store.steampowered.com/app/959200/Battleships_and_Carriers__WW2_Battleship_Game/

It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it's a WWII naval game and that species seems to be almost extinct.

< Message edited by IslandInland -- 12/22/2018 12:07:12 AM >

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

Post #: 8
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 6:38:18 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well I don't know if you are looking for board games or software based on Naval Tactics in WWII. I did like the Great Naval Battles Volume III Fury in the Pacific, sadly gotta use DosBox for that one.

Now for the board games, there isn't really any good ones out there and mostly simply rules. Btw I am working on something, but not sure when I get it done, hopefully I get it out next year. I still have this expensive War in the Pacific 2nd here, map on the wall, etc. The rules for naval engagement is a joke. So I looked everywhere and bought a lot of rules and see how things are setup, they sucks! lol.

Anyway when I get it up and running, I will post it and see if any of you guys will be interesting.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 9
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 7:04:21 AM   
somdude

Naval battles would be nice

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 10
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 7:38:15 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

http://killerfishgames.com/games/atlantic-fleet

Not WEGO, it's turn based by still a good game.

(in reply to somdude)
Post #: 11
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 9:01:34 AM   
Agathosdaimon

Take a look over at subsim.com - in the forums there you can find info on some indie games and other ones in development - Naval Battles Simulator and Battleship Command are 2 noteworthy ones - Battleship Command is built built around playing as the Scharnhorst in a dynamic campaign it sounds .

Also Rule the Waves 2 is in development

but i nevertheless second your sentiments - more ww2 naval games, like a newer version of Great Naval Battles and Action Stations would be killer!

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 12
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 10:22:39 AM   
bazjak

The old Destroyer Command was good as well

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 13
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 11:10:13 AM   
Rodwonder

I would push around a fleet at Jutland or Trafalgar... And anything WW2.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 14
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 11:29:17 AM   
nikdav

You must absolutely try "Atlantic Fleet", the engine is very good, innovative gameplay, fantastic graphics and low spec !

http://killerfishgames.com/games/atlantic-fleet

(in reply to Rodwonder)
Post #: 15
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 1:30:10 PM   
somdude

thx :)

(in reply to nikdav)
Post #: 16
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/22/2018 7:13:37 PM   
Michael T

If only Atlantic Fleet had multiplayer it would be an old AH Bismarck players dream game. Sadly only AI play :(

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to somdude)
Post #: 17
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 2:08:42 AM   
Rosseau

Well, it's on sale for $5 on Steam.

I actually bought the Battleships & Carriers game. Thanks for the recommendation. Simple stuff, but a lot of content.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 18
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 3:47:06 AM   
HeinzBaby

Atlantic Fleet for PC is a great game, but you MUST! get the 'Surface Fleet Mod' which toned down the over the top Sub and Airstrike actions from the original game.

Heia Safari

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 19
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 6:45:57 AM   
Rising-Sun

There also Pacific Fleet too, haven't gotten it and not sure if worth picking up.

(in reply to HeinzBaby)
Post #: 20
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 8:19:36 AM   
Red2112

Yeah I was about to mention that...

It is though from the "Victory at Sea" series. From what I red, they still need to clean up some bugs though. It came out on September of this year so it´s quite recent.

Victory at Sea Pacific:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/806950/Victory_At_Sea_Pacific/

Victory at Sea:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/298480/Victory_At_Sea/

You also have the classic "Task Force 1942"...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/329680/Task_Force_1942_Surface_Naval_Action_in_the_South_Pacific/

And "Battle Fleet 2" (had this on Android)...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/332490/Battle_Fleet_2/

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 12/23/2018 8:31:20 AM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 21
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 9:14:25 AM   
Red2112

Almost forgot! Great Naval Battles series 1-4. That was great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-9yo6sbtY

Red

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 22
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 9:41:31 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well Victory at Sea isn't that bad, but the Victory at Sea: Pacific having some problems that aren't setup right. They are working on it right now, been like a month and still need a lot of work on it.

Looking forward to get it someday, if they get it setup right. Was told it is modable, but not sure how far that can go.

Btw love that Great Naval Battle Vol.3 Fury in the Pacific, wish they redid it so it would run on latest pc.

Also have Task Force 1942, it was great game back then, but I just cant stand that graphics anymore lol.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 12/23/2018 9:42:32 AM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 23
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 10:48:03 AM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Btw love that Great Naval Battle Vol.3 Fury in the Pacific, wish they redid it so it would run on latest pc.

You can use D-Fend Reloaded, it´s quite easy to use, once installed just import the zip file of the DOS game, follow instructions, then launch from the D-Fend window.

https://www.abandonwaredos.com/faq.php?idf=15

Iam playing GNB4 right now.

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 12/23/2018 10:49:57 AM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 24
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 1:16:50 PM   
Rising-Sun

Yeah I use DosBox, run great. Just saying wish they remade it that look better and more features to it on both sides.

Too bad they never move up on those series, simply gave up on it.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 25
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 7:31:20 PM   
RFalvo69

Don’t forget “Action Stations!” The graphics are circa 1989, but the simulation is still first rate.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 26
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 7:54:36 PM   
Aurelian

I had the Amiga version of Action Stations!. The interface was better, being that it used windows. A flaw in the game is that using a 3/minute per turn time scale, ships with rapid fire guns, like an Atlanta, would really overwhelm the larger ships. But what I remember most about it is that in random game with land masses, the entire RN ran aground.......

Either you love bacon or you're wrong.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 27
RE: How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? - 12/23/2018 9:17:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I haven't seen any mention of THE PTO WWII wargame to rule them all: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. WEGO, detailed beyond belief, fog of war, excellent PBEM, scenarios aplenty, etc. Do yourself a favor and go check out the subforum. Ask around, you won't be sorry.

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How about a game on WWII Naval Battles? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI