Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Italian Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The Italian Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Italian Campaign - 12/19/2018 5:21:37 AM   
goodwoodrw

Is it necessary to invade Corsica and Sardinia in this campaign. And what happened historically?

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 1
RE: The Italian Campaign - 12/19/2018 11:44:08 PM   
IslandInland

It is not necessary but if you want to invade near Rome or anywhere in the northern half of Italy then those islands are useful as unsinkable aircraft carriers.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 2
RE: The Italian Campaign - 12/20/2018 9:56:42 AM   
MrBlizzard

After the surrender of Italy, italian units in Corsica and Sardinia switch to Allies. So often you can get corsica and sardinia for free. If the german troops in the 2 islands move back to Italy, Allies don't have to do anything.

Blizzard

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 3
RE: The Italian Campaign - 12/20/2018 12:06:23 PM   
goodwoodrw

My way of thinking is why waste troops. Take the west coast of Italy would pretty much isolate the 2 islands. As far as using them as air platforms you could pretty much use Sicily at a lesser man power and equipment cost, and not much distance in air miles and you would have full control in a few weeks.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 4
RE: The Italian Campaign - 12/21/2018 2:43:26 AM   
cfulbright

If you want to invade the South of France, you need the air bases in Corsica.

Cary

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 5
RE: The Italian Campaign - 12/21/2018 7:06:46 PM   
LiquidSky

As a German player I quite often send all those divisions that are withdrawing soon to Sardinia and Corsica. (3 infantry divisions and a couple panzers) I break them up into regiments and 'sit' on the Italians so that they don't flip over to the allied side. The Germans also count (double? Quadruple?) in garrison points...and since they withdraw, you don't have to worry about shipping them back.

As an allied player I have only a limited use for Sardinia/Corsica. If I plan to invade Southern France, then I need Corsica with built up airfields by summer '44. As for Sardinia...I don't mind it, but have never really used it as I have more then enough airfields in Italy. But then I usually invade my way up the coast of the Adriatic and cut across the mountains. Usually as single invasion/paradrop later is enough if the axis decide to disarm the italians on the islands.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 6
RE: The Italian Campaign - 12/23/2018 7:49:44 AM   
Searry

What I do as German player is send a few troops there(bad infantry) to make sure the Italians don't flip when the Fascists surrender. Then try to hold on as long as possible against any allied attacks.
As the allies, I always try to take these islands as soon as possible since they are very good for the air forces, the bases are very close to many important areas.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The Italian Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI