Multiplayer Internet/LAN?

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Jombee

Multiplayer Internet/LAN?

Post by Jombee »

Is multiplayer internet/LAN play possible with this game?

If not, is it in the works for a future update?

Please advise
Hubert Cater

RE: Multiplayer Internet/LAN?

Post by Hubert Cater »

Multiplayer is Hotseat or via the PBEM++ server, which handles a seamless way to play multiplayer with a lobby and game/challenge lists etc.
Jombee

Post by Jombee »

Thanks Hubert!
Catacol

Post by Catacol »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Multiplayer is Hotseat or via the PBEM++ server, which handles a seamless way to play multiplayer with a lobby and game/challenge lists etc.

Hi Hubert - hope all is well. Long and fond memories of years of SC. I think its a shame there is no online multiplayer. Pbem strikes me as old tech - I stopped playing Combat Mission because the online 2 player function got nerfed. I haven’t played SC since the 2 player online option was got rid of, and I doubt I am the only one. Games now are social events: and pbem doesn’t give it. Might seem odd setting a multiplayer times to 10mins per turn and sitting watching that 10mins go by, but the online chat and visible progression of the turn is light years ahead of pbem as an experience.

It would be good to bring this back, though I don’t know how easy it would be with the code. I also wont play pbem anymore because it sucks the life out of a working day or week and is bad for mental health!!! Playing online for a slot of 2 or 3 hours is the way to go.

Anyway good luck with the sales.

Cheers
Alastair
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Alastair!

Great to hear from you again and while it's true there is no live chat via PBEM++ and you don't see the turn by turn moves, the game play via the PBEM++ server is, I would argue, otherwise very similar in the sense that the turns are sent without having to actually send an e-mail.

It's not exactly the same as before but not far off either in many ways [:)]

Hubert
MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

I really enjoy the PBEM function of SC. I made new friends by playing games lasting for months...
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
Jombee

Post by Jombee »

ORIGINAL: Catacol

Hi Hubert - hope all is well. Long and fond memories of years of SC. I think its a shame there is no online multiplayer. Pbem strikes me as old tech - I stopped playing Combat Mission because the online 2 player function got nerfed. I haven’t played SC since the 2 player online option was got rid of, and I doubt I am the only one. Games now are social events: and pbem doesn’t give it. Might seem odd setting a multiplayer times to 10mins per turn and sitting watching that 10mins go by, but the online chat and visible progression of the turn is light years ahead of pbem as an experience.

It would be good to bring this back, though I don’t know how easy it would be with the code. I also wont play pbem anymore because it sucks the life out of a working day or week and is bad for mental health!!! Playing online for a slot of 2 or 3 hours is the way to go.

Anyway good luck with the sales.

Cheers
Alastair

I must agree with Catacol Hubert. The lack of LAN/Internet direct play is a deal breaker for me. Me and my friends/family enjoyed many hours of online play with SC

Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks Jombee, and just out of curiousity have you tried SC with PBEM++? I only ask as I don't find the game play that disimmilar. Yes you have to wait for your opponent to complete his turn (same as if it were TCP/IP), but you do see a replay and never have to exit the game to continue back and forth, i.e. similar to TCP/IP.

You can send short chat messages in PBEM++ as well.
Jombee

Post by Jombee »

Thanks Jombee, and just out of curiousity have you tried SC with PBEM++? I only ask as I don't find the game play that disimmilar. Yes you have to wait for your opponent to complete his turn (same as if it were TCP/IP), but you do see a replay and never have to exit the game to continue back and forth, i.e. similar to TCP/IP.

No Hubert, I have not ever tried PBEM++. Is there a Demo available for this game? (or some other game that uses the same system)
MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

Let me tell you that the system is super easy to use. When you are done with your turn it is sent to a server and your opponent is notified automatically that it is his/her turn. Works just as well as a direct connection.
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

+1 on this one. It works fine.
And knowing Hubert, if the server or Slitherine ever shuts down, he'd patch it to work somehow. :)

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”