Fighting retreat?

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
jiggathebaws

Fighting retreat?

Post by jiggathebaws »

Having problems in defense pulling forces back without getting them killed. What's the best ways to fall back, particularly scouts and infantry?
22sec

RE: Fighting retreat?

Post by 22sec »

ORIGINAL: jiggathebaws

Having problems in defense pulling forces back without getting them killed. What's the best ways to fall back, particularly scouts and infantry?

I think that is a challenge even in the real world. I try and make sure I have covered routes for my units to withdraw through. I also try and make sure that there is a friendly force to cover the move, even if it’s just enough fire to keep the enemy’s heads down. Artillery and air support can also help cover a withdrawal, but timing their arrival can be an additional challenge and why I prefer ground units.
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

I have found that placing units on the edge of woods or other cover and either popping or laying arty smoke works well...

I let my units get a few shots off, pop smoke and reverse out of sight, move them via a hopefully unoticed route and then take up a new position.... it definitely keeps you on your toes... I think this can also be done automatically using a "scout" waypoint although I haven't tried that yet....

Also I try not to let infantry get to far away from there transport, if they do and they get hit by arty they are usually dead meat...

One more thing, you can set disabled waypoints, you press ctrl while laying them and then to activate hold ctrl and click them, that way there is no command delay....

EDIT... Don't forget you can setup an arty smoke mission in advance to fire on your command, that way you don't have to wait for the guns to adjust... you just fire, wait for the smoke shells to land and then pull out...

wodin

Post by wodin »

I do find modern warfare abit to lethal at times. One reason I prefer WW2 games at this scale.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi Wodin, while I do like the WWII setting, I'm glad this game is set in the modern era, apart from Flashpoint campaigns and CM black sea I cant think of any other good strategy game set in this time period....
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I do find modern warfare abit to lethal at times. One reason I prefer WW2 games at this scale.
Have you tried the 60s?
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Lowlaner2012

Hi Wodin, while I do like the WWII setting, I'm glad this game is set in the modern era, apart from Flashpoint campaigns and CM black sea I cant think of any other good strategy game set in this time period....

Same...
varangy

Post by varangy »

We have an entire sea filled with WW2 games. Personally I like cold war more since its more complex. (ATGMs, Helos, ETC)
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Having been trained and served in this era, I can say that in real life this is a huge issue if you are on the defense. You have to have carefully planned exit routes and be able to reach your next position without observation (in general observation means you die).

Also it helps to do a sort of bounding overwatch in reverse. One unit leaves under a smoke screen while an adjacent unit provides cover and overwatch or suppressing fire to discourage any attackers/followers.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

Yeah, one of the biggest differences that I find observation makes is artillery spotting - and AB's AI is absolutely merciless with its calling-in of artillery. Things like smoke generators can help get you out of direct fire, but the artillery will still get you unless you move very fast.

So I'd say timing everything is key if you want to get out alive. Time your movements with the arrival/dispersal of smoke, and keep guard units in positions that aren't going to be too affected by smoke. Depending on terrain, leapfrogging half your force in every bound might be necessary. Unfortunately when things are going south, you often don't have time to react in a way that will make things as organized as you'd like them to be. Another thing to look out for us opportunities that the enemy gives you - if they've really given your force a beating but then overcommitted themselves, that might give you an opening. If you see signs that the enemy has just lost some key units, is suppressed or retreating - that might be your chance to hightail it out of there, preferably covered by smoke and artillery fires.

Lastly, unless you're truly caught in the open, often staying put where you are is a better option, provided you have enough artillery rounds and reserves to eventually get your unit out of that situation.
Mark Florio

Post by Mark Florio »

Agreed. secondary positions, pre-planned routes and lots of luck getting it right.
Marne Tanker~
wodin

Post by wodin »

Does it have to be either one of the other can't we have both?

ORIGINAL: varangy

We have an entire sea filled with WW2 games. Personally I like cold war more since its more complex. (ATGMs, Helos, ETC)
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Does it have to be either one of the other can't we have both?

ORIGINAL: varangy

Have you tried 1965?

Return to “Armored Brigade”