Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New player need tips/advice.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New player need tips/advice. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 9:43:16 AM   
gregfp66

Hello, i'm quite new to the wargame genre, i've played the wargame series on steam and really loved the settings and depth of gameplay compared to others rts.

Howewer i would like to dive into wargaming.

So i'm quite lost and dont know where to begin with.

I'm quite interested in WW2 to moder era stuff.

I'v hear about armored brigade, john tillers campaign series, winSPMBT.

The graphic dont bother me, but i would like to know what do you recommend for a new players?

Any tips on the game and some guides tutorials maybe?

Thanks for helping a lost "soul"
Post #: 1
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 10:07:13 AM   
zakblood

welcome to the forum, maybe a good idea of what you like in general, regarding size, and type eg depth, as some games here can be learnt and played in a weekend, while others take you a weekend to read the manual, then all year to learn and understand how to play etc

(in reply to gregfp66)
Post #: 2
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 10:42:38 AM   
gregfp66

Well, then what game do you recommend me?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 10:46:12 AM   
demyansk

A good game to start with would be Panzer Corps. However, buy it when it's on sale. A few games have demos and that's a good way to start.
I started 30 years ago with the SSG games and went from there. Let me know and we can connect on Steam

(in reply to gregfp66)
Post #: 4
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 6:38:23 PM   
z1812

I would agree with downloading demos. That way you can get an idea of what scale and type of game you would like.

Amongst others there are 5 wargame company sites you should visit. Just Google the names below.

Matrix/Slitherine Games. They have demos and one for the mentioned Panzer Corps game.

Battlefront Games. They have some demos

JohnTiller Games. They have some demos

Shrapnel Games. Shrapnel has a free game called Steel Panthers that you can download.

(in reply to gregfp66)
Post #: 5
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 9:47:54 PM   
Lobster

I would start a beginner off with a Steel Panthers or one of the Close Combat games. Tactical games are usually easier for a beginner than something with a lot of depth like operational or strategic scale.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 6
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/2/2018 10:48:53 PM   
Major_Mess

Ahhhhhh, you could try out this ....... it's free.

Y'all just gotta click on the Banner below.

Click on the Banner!!!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 7
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/3/2018 12:42:36 AM   
AndySfromVA

The Panzer Corps series (Panzer Corps, Allied Corps, Soviet Corps and Africa Korps) are great starter games. But if you really want to get into the nitty gritty you'll need to look elsewhere.

The John Tiller campaign series of WW2 games are good, comprehensive operational games, with some tactical elements. His Panzer Battles series has a more tactical feel. But for an even greater tactical feel the Steel Panthers series is excellent. If you're into large operational/strategic games the Grigsby games, War in the West and War in the East, are supposed to be very good, though I haven't played them. Then there's the Operational Art of War IV, whose main advantage is that covers multiple battles in many different theaters and eras and does it well. It's a pure operational game - no tactical elements.

Pure strategic games are a whole nother story.

< Message edited by AndySfromVA -- 12/3/2018 1:16:56 AM >

(in reply to gregfp66)
Post #: 8
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/3/2018 12:57:06 AM   
budd

You picked a good time to jump in with the Matrix game sale going on. Hard to recommend anything without knowing the level of complexity your looking for.

Panzer Corps, Unity of Command, and Battle Academy are easy entry games.
The Strategic Command games are easy to jump in and play.
Order of Battle games: Free base game to install and try out.

It just all depends on what level of complexity, scale and era you want to play in. i would just look at the games here on sale and watch some youtube videos to see what interests you. Nothing like watching some game play videos to see how the game plays.

Welcome aboard.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 9
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/3/2018 1:07:06 AM   
budd

Couple of other things. If you buy here and the game is on steam, you get a free steam key. Also before you buy here register as a member, its a separate log in than the forums. Top of the page next to home[members] for signing up. Once you sign up, any games you buy are registered to your account automatically and you can re-download at any time. You don't have to be a member to buy, not sure if you have to be a member or not to get a steam key, i think you do.

< Message edited by budd -- 12/3/2018 1:09:04 AM >

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 10
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/3/2018 10:06:06 AM   
demyansk

This is good especially when you change machines

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 11
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/3/2018 1:41:03 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: budd

Order of Battle games: Free base game to install and try out.

I don't that one, but what I understand of it, game itself is free but great majority of scenarios and campaigns are DLC and cost $$. Otherwise looks much like Panzer Corps, maybe with some differences; can someone explain to me plz? Unity of Command has many similarities with the other 2 games, but units are more generic (Infantry Division, Motorized Division etc.) and game has greater focus in maneuver and supply.

[edit]
If historical setting isn't a must have, then I throw BIG recommendation for BattleTech video game. Turn-based tactical scale mecha combat with up to 4 mecha in player's control (most of the time anyway), and I'm totally in hook. If you have played MechWarrior (or Mech Assault or MechCommander) video games before, those are part of the same universe.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 12/3/2018 1:50:17 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 12
RE: New player need tips/advice. - 12/3/2018 3:41:29 PM   
Greybriar

Several in this thread have mentioned Panzer Corps, and the base game is on sale right now for a mere $2.00 U.S. There are MANY DLC for Panzer Corps, so if money isn't an issue you may want to purchase Panzer Corps Gold for $32 (marked down from $79.99) since it contains all its expansions.

Panzer Corps is considered to be the spiritual successor to SSI's Panzer General which was released in 1994. Back then Panzer General was thought by many to be the PC game that single-handedly saved the computer wargaming industry. I bought it on release and still have it installed on my Windows 95 computer; I even play it once in a while.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New player need tips/advice. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI