Question about morale and training.

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
exsonic01

Question about morale and training.

Post by exsonic01 »

1) In game, we have unit morale / training which is fixed by database, and faction morale / training which can be adjusted by player. Then, what is the real morale / training value for given unit in game? Is this add of unit morale / training and faction morale / training? For example, if unit have 60 training and 55 morale and I set +50 training / +50 morale for faction, is the unit have 110 training and 105 morale?

2) Are there any maximum / minimum limitation of overall training / morale (unit + faction) value, which should be considered if someone wish to make a new unit?

3) As we know, faction morale / training values can be adjusted from -100 to 100. Are there any guideline to judge how much morale / training values can be categorized? For example, can we regard "Elite" to have overall training and morale 200 to 180, and "Veteran" to have overall training and morale from 180 to 160?

I wish to try to make a SF team and reserve / militia / paramilitary units. I think we should give very good training and morale to SF team, while lower the morale / training for reserve, militia, and paramilitary (maybe their morale would be high depending on case). I'm curious how much would be a proper values for those units.

noooooo

RE: Question about morale and training.

Post by noooooo »

1. It just adds that amount of each unit in the game. Every single unit has minor randomization +5/-5 from the faction training.

2. 100 morale and 100 training are the maximum, it doesn't seem like it goes any higher than that. For example US army in 1987 has 85 training so anything above a +15 training will do nothing since they max out at 100.

3. Since you can't go above 100 I'm thinking 90+ is probably elite SF. I have toyed with the idea of adding SF too, but I subtracted 10 from all faction's default morale and training so I can make these SF more distinguished. So USSR units are around 50-60, US 60-75 and my added SF units around 90+.
noooooo

Post by noooooo »

You can also use the infantryVulnerability value. The lower that is, the more survivable they are. You could probably set that lower for SF to further simulate their effectiveness.

fb.asp?m=4559994
gbem

Post by gbem »

Curious... wouldnt the modelling of sf require either special insertion methods (halo) (rhib) (atv) or a transport chopper?
noooooo

Post by noooooo »

ORIGINAL: gbem

Curious... wouldnt the modelling of sf require either special insertion methods (halo) (rhib) (atv) or a transport chopper?

There's an infiltrate option at the beginning for recon units which lets that unit start out anywhere on the map. Higher training level improves this chance.
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

ORIGINAL: noooooo

1. It just adds that amount of each unit in the game. Every single unit has minor randomization +5/-5 from the faction training.

2. 100 morale and 100 training are the maximum, it doesn't seem like it goes any higher than that. For example US army in 1987 has 85 training so anything above a +15 training will do nothing since they max out at 100.

3. Since you can't go above 100 I'm thinking 90+ is probably elite SF. I have toyed with the idea of adding SF too, but I subtracted 10 from all faction's default morale and training so I can make these SF more distinguished. So USSR units are around 50-60, US 60-75 and my added SF units around 90+.
Thank you noooooo (your nickname makes this strange lol)

That is a bit strange about calculation of overall morale / training. Let's say I have 85 morale / 85 training unit, and add +100 to faction morale / training. Then the unit have 100 morale / 100 training, not 185 morale / 185 training? Hmmmm
noooooo

Post by noooooo »

ORIGINAL: exsonic01

Thank you noooooo (your nickname makes this strange lol)

That is a bit strange about calculation of overall morale / training. Let's say I have 85 morale / 85 training unit, and add +100 to faction morale / training. Then the unit have 100 morale / 100 training, not 185 morale / 185 training? Hmmmm

I believe that is the case. You can click on a unit, press the little i icon on bottom left to check each unit's training or morale.

I'm not 100% sure whether that it's just that it doesn't display morale/training higher than 100 but if the display is correct 100 is maximum.
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

I believe that is the case. You can click on a unit, press the little i icon on bottom left to check each unit's training or morale.

I'm not 100% sure whether that it's just that it doesn't display morale/training higher than 100 but if the display is correct 100 is maximum.
Thanks to let me know. Well, if that is the case then we need to follow. But I still can't understand. What is the meaning of faction adjustment +100? No units will receive full +100 training / morale...

Anyway, 90/100 or 95/100 seems good conditions for SF units.
zacklaws

Post by zacklaws »

Whilst testing the game, I looked at the morale values and created a chart so that I can see what a units status will be depending on what the % values are. Once I discovered that, I was able to create some good scenario's based on the values. Also I do not look at the values ranging from -100 to +100, I just look at the values overall as 0 to 100 with 0 being the -100. Using the minus values do not exactly create a weak force and I often use them in my scenarios and the minus values mixed with slightly positive values up to about 30 seem to give the better battles because from a certain point up to 100, very little changes so a lot of actions have to happen before the morale values reduce to affect the game.

Somewhere along the line though I have misplaced my chart, buried under loads of paperwork but still have a rough idea in my mind what to use.

kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Very useful thread on an important topic. Thanks guys.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

1) In game, we have unit morale / training which is fixed by database, and faction morale / training which can be adjusted by player. Then, what is the real morale / training value for given unit in game? Is this add of unit morale / training and faction morale / training? For example, if unit have 60 training and 55 morale and I set +50 training / +50 morale for faction, is the unit have 110 training and 105 morale?

2) Are there any maximum / minimum limitation of overall training / morale (unit + faction) value, which should be considered if someone wish to make a new unit?

3) As we know, faction morale / training values can be adjusted from -100 to 100. Are there any guideline to judge how much morale / training values can be categorized? For example, can we regard "Elite" to have overall training and morale 200 to 180, and "Veteran" to have overall training and morale from 180 to 160?

The faction morale/training level and the formation bonus/penalty are read from the database. In the battle custom launch options the morale values work a bit like "difficulty levels", if you want to make the scenario more or less challenging this time. This is a matter of taste, just like other launch options, for example the round length. These can be different every time and are not saved in the scenario.xml.

In the battle each unit gets some random variation to the morale/training levels. The maximum variation is +/-5 points.

The 'average' morale/training level is 75. The minimum is 1 and the maximum is 100. You see the values in the unit specs screen during the battle.

I wish to try to make a SF team and reserve / militia / paramilitary units. I think we should give very good training and morale to SF team, while lower the morale / training for reserve, militia, and paramilitary (maybe their morale would be high depending on case). I'm curious how much would be a proper values for those units.

You should edit the formation morale/training bonus/penalty values. For example if you try the Finnish infantry units you see formations with different levels of quality.
Know thyself!
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

But I still can't understand. What is the meaning of faction adjustment +100? No units will receive full +100 training / morale...

It's a modifier, but the final min-max unit value stays between 1-100 points. What would be a better way to express it in the battle launch UI?
Know thyself!

Return to “Armored Brigade”