Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW 4 manual - title edited

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW 4 manual - title edited Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW 4 manual - title edited - 11/26/2018 11:48:25 AM   
altipueri

Edit done 22 Feb 2019: I started this thread with enthusiasm for the new manual but that's waned so only read on if you want to.

It just arrived an hour ago. What a surprise treat. A real book - about 10 inches by 8 inches, hard cover.

Double column in type large enough to be read - 175 pages.

Best manual I've bought for years - far better than the little things stuck in the DVD box - here the DVD is inside the book hard cover.

Manual Layout credit is given in the back to Myriam Bell so congratulations to her.

< Message edited by altipueri -- 2/22/2019 10:14:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 11/26/2018 4:14:08 PM   
Dave25210

Hi, you're talking about the manual supplied with boxed version of the game? I'm thinking to get this game ASAP and wondered about the printed manual that comes with it. Sounds it's worth those extra $20 plus shipping?

Thx
David

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 11/26/2018 5:18:25 PM   
sPzAbt653

Not only that, you also get Bubble Wrap !

(in reply to Dave25210)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 11/26/2018 9:12:19 PM   
altipueri

No box but hard cover book with DVD inside front cover. I think this is better than the usual plastic box with small booklet inside. In fact, having just measured it - the hard cover book is about 2x the size of the usual booklets.

Yes, I think it an improvement. Your Eyes May Vary :)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 11/27/2018 9:19:43 AM   
LeeChard

I already own the game. Is the manual available to purchase alone?

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 1/3/2019 8:01:35 PM   
altipueri

Ugh, I've moderated my no longer youthful enthusiasm.

No index.

I can't find how to de-select a unit as that red tail arrow keeps following me round.

And text is still centre justified. Is this a TOAW religious trait? It is certainly not a readable one.

I now remember an old article on game UI - and found it:

http://tleaves.com/2010/12/31/a-battle-lost-through-attrition/

Still we press on. TOAW 3 forum is dead so I guess this is it from now until oblivion.

I've just checked and neither my TOAW3 manual or ACOW manual had indexes so I suppose a tradition has been maintained. My copy of Liddell Hart's History of the Second World War next to me - everybody has one don't they? :)- has 30 pages of index amounting to some 900 references.

Oh well. Tel Aviv, as they say :)

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 6
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 1/3/2019 8:38:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

You should have a pdf version of the manual that you can search for keywords.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 7
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 1/3/2019 8:58:51 PM   
sPzAbt653

Yes, I use 'Alt-F' in the PDF Manual all the time

quote:

I now remember an old article on game UI

Thanks for posting the link, I enjoy information on UI's and such. Often I see complaints but no solutions or suggested solutions, and in those cases the observations are made worthless. The writer of this article does offer a few constructive suggestions, but still mostly complains that he doesn't like the cake but offers no suggestions to the cook on how to improve it.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 8
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 1/3/2019 9:00:47 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I can't find how to de-select a unit

Because you can't

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 9
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 1/3/2019 10:34:10 PM   
ivanov

From the point of view of utility the manual is the worst I've seen in years. It's badly organised, incoherent and abstract. For example I wanted to learn something about HQ's or stacking, I searched the PDF for relevant words and there are no chapters dedicated to those key issues. For me it looks like the manual was written for people who already know TOAW III, so they can ready about some new things introduced in TOAW IV. The manual should be clearly organised. Just take any manual of board games by GMT or Compass. It should have the basic rules on the first 20-30 pages ( with the examples of play ). After reading this part the players should be able to start the game, move and attack. Then there should be the advanced rules and then designer notes and index. I haven't found ANY useful information in the current manual. From the other hand, I've learned a good bit from the tutorial document included in the tutorial scenario. The problem is, that I discovered this document by accident. Come on guys - manual is the key in this type of games. Not everyone knows TOAW III and not everyone has time to search the various forums.

< Message edited by ivanov -- 1/3/2019 11:10:31 PM >

Mickey Mouse

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 2/9/2019 9:41:55 PM   
alwaysdime

I agree the book concept is great but its not unique to this game. They did the same for Field of Glory 2 so I assume that's standard now for their printed manuals?

As for the Operational Art of 4 manual I think its kind of crappy (sorry) in all honesty. You cannot read the Nato symbols because the font is so tiny and also the unit sizes shouldn't be split between 2 columns. Both should have had their own page even if it added a page or 3 to the printed manual. I go thru phase's with this series and often forget the unit sizes and Nato symbols so I have to reference the manual to refresh my memory. I actually use the Campaign Series manual for that but you shouldn't have to use a different games manual especially since not everyone would own both games. I have used the manual for those symbols since the first Talonsoft version so that's why I view this as a negative. Also there are book marks to everything useful except chapter 9. No book marks for supply, Air Superiority, Interdiction, Intelligence etc. That may just be the QA tester in me (been one for 20 years) that makes me notice a lot of little things like that. That certainly should have had a bug open and sent to PM for approval in my opinion. Then again it could have been and they didn't care. Who knows, but it does lower the overall quality of the product.

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 11
RE: TOAW 4 has the best printed manual for any game - 2/9/2019 9:46:07 PM   
larryfulkerson

Sounds like it got rushed out the door maybe. I've always used the PDF version because I find it more convienent
especially for doing keyword searches.

Overheard on the ramp at Da Nang:
"Vietnamese children are really hard to kill....they are so small and they run so fast."

(in reply to alwaysdime)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW 4 manual - title edited Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI