Old computer wityXP

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Old computer wityXP

Post by demyansk »

I have an old computer that is just sitting around and I also have a monitor, keyboard as well. Just wondering if this item could be used for anything including the internet. However, xp will not get the updates anymore.

Just curious if any use can be salvaged.
berto

RE: Old computer wityXP

Post by berto »

If the system has 4 GB of RAM, you could try Linux. If it's only 1 GB RAM, you could try Linux also, but you might face challenges with the installation and subsequent operation (i.e., possibly no GUI, text mode Linux only). I run Linux on all of my older systems. A system with only 1 GB of RAM I would junk, however. With so little RAM, it's not really worth the trouble. (It makes no sense to upgrade the RAM on old, old systems. You could buy a refurbished Windows 10 system with 4 GB of RAM for less money than the memory upgrade cost of a very old system.)

So what could you do with such a system? Apart from the appeal (?) of learning a new OS, you could use it for Web browsing. Can you play games on Linux? Yes, a few. Steam installs on Linux, but just a handful of games are Linux/Steam compatible. You could also try the Windows emulator WINE, but again only a few games will run successfully thereby. If in doubt, you should check it out first.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

The use = to run things that were made when the computer was made.

1995 computer should swallow software made circa 1995 or before. A 1999 game = your machine is obsolete.

I haven't toyed a lot with emulators, but that should be the rational option IMO. I'd contact the local Romanian clan and get rid of the obsolete thing.

If you're a romantic or nostalgic, disregard.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

There is a book, '101 Uses for a dead computer'. [:D]
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I still have several XP laptops and can play quite recent games, albeit non graphics intensive ones.

I use Opera as a browser as Chrome and Firefox are no longer updated.

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I still play some of my old DOS games on my Windows 95 PC because they simply aren't available for recent versions of Windows. Games like the original Railroad Tycoon, Ascendancy, and Conquered Kingdoms.

Also, games designed for older versions of Windows will not always play properly on the newer versions of Windows. So I have kept my Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 PCs as well.

The biggest disadvantage to keeping my old PCs has been the amount of space necessary to store them in.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I still play some of my old DOS games on my Windows 95 PC because they simply aren't available for recent versions of Windows. Games like the original Railroad Tycoon, Ascendancy, and Conquered Kingdoms.

Also, games designed for older versions of Windows will not always play properly on the newer versions of Windows. So I have kept my Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 PCs as well.

The biggest disadvantage to keeping my old PCs has been the amount of space necessary to store them in.
+100 Especially the desk space needed for the keyboards/monitors.
Where possible I connect the old PCs to my LAN.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I have Ascendency running on Dosbox on my WIN 10 machine.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I still have a 10meg hard drive from my very old AT&T 6300 computer. It is ginormous and as heavy as a lead brick. I have a 486 motherboard complete with cpu and memory. The vid card is 'someplace' around here. I have so much old computer hardware I could probably put together four or five old machines. I could play all the old games I still have sitting around. But I don't even have time for the new ones. I could sell the machines for $10 each I guess. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I have an old computer that is just sitting around and I also have a monitor, keyboard as well. Just wondering if this item could be used for anything including the internet. However, xp will not get the updates anymore.

Just curious if any use can be salvaged.
What Greybriar and some others said.

What comes to Linux, it has been around for a while and been running in computers where RAM was measured in megabytes. Of course new software requires new kernel and stuff. So try ArchLabs distro. I have read about it, it isn't the easiest, but of the new Linux distros, it is among the least demanding for hardware. 10 years ago I had installed Gentoo Linux and IceWM on computer with 400 MHz processor and 384 MB of RAM, and that one seems to be still around. So check out those 2 and ask around if you want to use new software on outdated hardware.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks guys for your comments. I think it will go to landfill
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

I use my old XP machine (which isn't connected to the internet) to play older games that struggle on newer machines. So, it works for me! [:)]
Richard
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I have Ascendency running on Dosbox on my WIN 10 machine.

I envy you. I can't understand why The Logic Factory doesn't update the game to work on Windows 10. They already have versions for iPad and iPhone.

@Lobster--I wish my old 486DX was still up and running in DOS.

@Kuokkanen--If there had been as many games available for Linux as there were for Windows 10, my last PC would have had a Linux operating system. As it is, I am considering converting one of my newer PCs to Linux just to get a feel for it.
ORIGINAL: demyansk

Thanks guys for your comments. I think it will go to landfill
That makes me feel sad. [:(]
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
berto

Post by berto »

As it is, I am considering converting one of my newer PCs to Linux just to get a feel for it.
Or you could install Oracle VirtualBox and run Linux in a virtual machine. That's what I do.
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: berto

As it is, I am considering converting one of my newer PCs to Linux just to get a feel for it.
Or you could install Oracle VirtualBox and run Linux in a virtual machine. That's what I do.
Emulation takes a good chunk of processing power. Demanding games aren't going to work on it, and if hardware isn't good enough, nothing may work on it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
berto

Post by berto »

Virtualization is not emulation.

Anyway, he says he wants "to get a feel for it," it's not so much (or at all?) to play games. By running a virtualized Linux (another option: dual booting the two OSes), he doesn't need to sacrifice his Windows host system setup. He can have the best of both worlds.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: berto

Virtualization is not emulation.

Anyway, he says he wants "to get a feel for it," it's not so much (or at all?) to play games. By running a virtualized Linux (another option: dual booting the two OSes), he doesn't need to sacrifice his Windows host system setup. He can have the best of both worlds.
Oh, okay. I had read about it but forgot some details. At least I remember that virtualization takes resources and isn't recommended to play games.

Otherwise I recommend Live-CD for "feeling Linux up". It is a CD with Linux OS that can also boot the computer. Depending on the size of distro, you may want a DVD (or USB Flash/SSD) instead. I don't know which distros have such available and up to date, but Ubuntu may be one. Remember to check hardware requirements.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Couple days ago I made a purchase: Fujitsu LIFEBOOK E554
Processor: Core i5-4210M 2.60 GHz
Graphic adapter: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB
SSD: 256 GB
DVD-RW drive
Screen: 15" Full HD
Windows 10 Home
Cost: 329 €

Used, renovated, and in good condition with a year's warranty. I'll give this to my mother in Christmas. Money well used.

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”