Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/19/2018 11:21:22 PM   
kevinkins

Thought it might be nice to start a thread on this topic to spark the creative juices for those who enjoy designing. I attached simple map that shows the would be Soviet invasion avenues to orient potential missions onto certain likely sectors of combat.

Feel free to post mission ideas and any tasty maps, OOBs, links etc. you may have or come across in the future.

Kevin

PS Only one file at a time can be posted right now. Can we get set-up to post zips like over at the Command Forum? Also, the file size limitation should be increased if possible. Thanks.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 11/22/2018 1:27:18 AM >

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 1
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/20/2018 4:02:51 PM   
22sec

I’ve got several things I am tackling or plan to. The first is the map of the southern portion of the British I Corps sector. Once that’s done I’d like knock out some missions for it. Another idea I want to tackle is a “modern” database. Sure, there are a few things the game engine won’t currently do, but if you look at the equipment for most armies in Europe, it’s within the scope of the game. I’d like to use it as a test bed to see how things like the CV-90, or Challenger 2, or Javelin or the new Stryker Dragoon perform. Who knows, maybe even a Sulwaki Gap Map.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/20/2018 4:12:56 PM   
[BSM]Roby7979

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Thought it might be nice to start a thread on this topic to spark the creative juices for those who enjoy designing. I attached simple map that shows the would be Soviet invasion avenues to orient potential missions onto certain likely sectors of combat.

Feel free to post mission ideas and any tasty maps, OOBs, links etc. you may have or come across in the future.

Kevin

PS Only one file at a time can be posted right now. Can we get set-up to post zips like over at the Command Forum? Also, the file size limitation should be increased if possible. Thanks.

Its nice idea! you can even put them here -> https://discord.gg/7ENtmW3

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by [BSM]Roby7979 -- 11/20/2018 4:15:02 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 3
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/20/2018 4:17:44 PM   
exsonic01

quote:

ORIGINAL: 22sec

I’ve got several things I am tackling or plan to. The first is the map of the southern portion of the British I Corps sector. Once that’s done I’d like knock out some missions for it. Another idea I want to tackle is a “modern” database. Sure, there are a few things the game engine won’t currently do, but if you look at the equipment for most armies in Europe, it’s within the scope of the game. I’d like to use it as a test bed to see how things like the CV-90, or Challenger 2, or Javelin or the new Stryker Dragoon perform. Who knows, maybe even a Sulwaki Gap Map.

Regarding "modern", I also have a similar idea, but I'm not sure if this game supports the description for modern weapons systems. For example, as far as I know this game can't depict hardkill / softkill APS. I'm not sure if this game could describe millimeter radar and weapons based on such system, like 9M123 Khrizantema. Guidance munitions are also impossible, while US army already using good amount of M1156 PGK. Hunter-killer is not available, so as the combo play of Longbow / Guardian Apache with normal Apache. Even cold war EW and ECM capability is not modeled in this game, not to mention about modern EW and ECMs. (EW and ECM are one of the feature I wish to see in this game in the future.)

We can make something as close as possible to "modern real" based on current system, but that will not perfect. So, in the future, I wish if this game opens a way to describe such "futuristic features" which could greatly enhance the modding capability, if devs have some free time and resources in the future.

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 4
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/20/2018 4:19:22 PM   
Stardog765

Yes a Community Scenario Pack like CMANO would a great idea!

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 5
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/20/2018 4:42:33 PM   
22sec

No AB lacks some things such as hard and soft kill APS, but how many units are actually equipped with those? Drones can be done, although not pretty. Somethings can be done, or reproduced to an extent within that database, such as millimeter wave radar. A weapon can have night vision of say 7500m (just using that as an example). I think enough can be done, that it is worth doing, especially with an eye towards the future and possible changes to the game engine at some point. If Veitikka can be convinced.

(in reply to Stardog765)
Post #: 6
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/20/2018 4:56:49 PM   
exsonic01

quote:

No AB lacks some things such as hard and soft kill APS, but how many units are actually equipped with those? Drones can be done, although not pretty. Somethings can be done, or reproduced to an extent within that database, such as millimeter wave radar. A weapon can have night vision of say 7500m (just using that as an example). I think enough can be done, that it is worth doing, especially with an eye towards the future and possible changes to the game engine at some point. If Veitikka can be convinced.

Yeah, I agree we can try with the things what we have in this game. I also have some modern scenario in my mind. What I'm saying is, with current system, there will be limitations which might be crucial for the description of modern battlefield.

If we or someone make some modern mod in good fashion, then I think (and I hope) he might be convinced after he have enough time and manpower for it.

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 7
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/21/2018 12:40:53 PM   
22sec

I don’t think people have really comprehended the modability of this game. The database editor is a great tool, and we’ve talked about maps. However that’s just a portion of what can be modded. Just open up the graphics folder, and see what all is in there including an xml file tonchange map colors.

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 8
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/21/2018 1:33:52 PM   
zacklaws

quote:

Just open up the graphics folder, and see what all is in there including an xml file tonchange map colors.

I did a quick mod of the map colours to what the colours where based on an area that I was creating a scenario for from Google Earth in the Alpha version whilst testing. Very easy to do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 9
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/21/2018 3:00:56 PM   
kevinkins

The manual has limited info on scenario design. But I had a nice basic explanation yesterday so I will cross post the thread here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4557327

Note: the scenario name and briefing are produced by editing the xml file. You can open one of the stock scenarios to see how it's done.

Post any tips in this thread if you please.

More tips from players:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4557680

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 11/22/2018 1:33:06 AM >

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 10
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/22/2018 3:32:16 AM   
CCIP-subsim

These are not scenarios so much as maps, but today I've been taking a bit of a look at which real-world maps for historical conflicts (that for in or near the AB timeline, and all involved armor or combined arms combat to some extent) fit into the 61.44km x 61.44km map format of Armored Brigade.

Here is what I came up with, in terms of 10 right-sized maps I'd be very interested in. I'm not sure how I'd have time to work on all these, so if anyone else finds these ones interesting to take a crack at, by all means They all have some very good potential for interesting scenarios + work on unique DBs for the conflicts (which should not be too difficult given the already-available equipment in the game).

1) Kuwait City (1991)
2) Khafji (1991)

(left to right)
3) Abkhazia (1992-1993, 2008)
4) Mingrelia/Samegrelo (1992-1993, 2008)
5) South Ossetia (1991-1992, 2008)

6) Chechnya (1994-1996, 1999-2000)

7) An Loc (1972)

(left to right)
8) Lam Son 719 (1971)
9) Quang Tri + Khe Sanh (1968, 1972)
10) Hue + A Shau (1968-1972)

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 11
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/22/2018 9:29:46 AM   
maitrebongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: zacklaws

quote:

Just open up the graphics folder, and see what all is in there including an xml file tonchange map colors.

I did a quick mod of the map colours to what the colours where based on an area that I was creating a scenario for from Google Earth in the Alpha version whilst testing. Very easy to do.

Please, could you share your color mod.

Thanks a lot

"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 12
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/22/2018 9:58:36 AM   
zacklaws

quote:

Please, could you share your color mod

I do not have it anymore, as the alpha and beta versions were always getting updated, I could not be bothered saving files etc so I would just update to the new version, that way anything I modded would not create issues with newer versions. As modding the colours is simple, it was a project I knew I could redo it all again if I wanted to when the final release came out. Maybe one day, I may do it again if I feel a need for it.

Basically it was just done by locating the area in Google Earth of the area I was creating the scenario in AB in. Then picking out the colours from Google Earth with a colour "picker", getting the hex number for it and then replacing the ones in the XML file.

You also have to consider as well that zoom in colours need to be changed to, and if I recall that was a tricky bit.

The picture is from Google Earth screenshot of the area the scenario was based on and is somewhere in the previous picture just to show how accurate you can get a colour match.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zacklaws -- 11/22/2018 1:20:27 PM >

(in reply to maitrebongo)
Post #: 13
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/22/2018 1:05:43 PM   
kevinkins

quote:

I'm not sure how I'd have time to work on all these, so if anyone else finds these ones interesting to take a crack at, by all means

Desert Storm (Iraq = Soviet Equipment and Side) would be wildly popular. What if scenarios could spice up the action. I was meaning to look into map making. Is this a process where a team of a few guys can get maps out faster? Or is it more of a lone wolf exercise?

Kevin

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 14
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/22/2018 3:59:48 PM   
CCIP-subsim

quote:

Desert Storm (Iraq = Soviet Equipment and Side) would be wildly popular. What if scenarios could spice up the action. I was meaning to look into map making. Is this a process where a team of a few guys can get maps out faster? Or is it more of a lone wolf exercise?

Kevin

I'm still figuring out how to work with maps, but I'm actually coming to the conclusion that it might not be that difficult to make very good maps relatively quickly. The elevation layer and basic road/river/land cover can be imported relatively quickly - and from there, it's down to filling in the details, preferably with a good period-accurate topo map. Once you get used to it, the in-game map editing mode is actually pretty user-friendly.

And for Desert Storm, I suspect a separate Iraqi DB should not be difficult to whip up :) Would be neat to also see an Iran-Iraq war package, since I think most of the equipment used by both sides is already there in some form.

< Message edited by CCIP-subsim -- 11/22/2018 4:00:10 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 15
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/24/2018 1:17:49 PM   
kevinkins

I am not sure whether to start a thread on this: "Improving the scenario design process"

Off the top of my head: Ability to ...

- save multiple maps and OOBs
- back up to the previous screen in the generator
- open a saved scenario and edit the OOB and unit positions
- lock AI units in position for the length of the battle
- Lock units so the AI can't move them (until a certain time ticks off the clock)
- reinforcements that can enter a various points on the map
- Lock individual units not just the formation to set up a intricate defence. Right now it's difficult to set up a defence for the AI since it scatters its troops to high heaven.
- exit objectives to gain victory points
- Selector for dug in troops: Infantry Only, Armor Only, or select a mixture of the two leaving some not dug in so they can maneuver.
- "Paintable" set-up zones that are more than just rectangles.

Any other ideas guys

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 11/26/2018 8:15:47 PM >

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 16
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/24/2018 10:21:46 PM   
CCIP-subsim

I like the suggestions on locking. I'd even suggest doing things like for example being able to lock units in a particular "box" (i.e. they can move, but only within certain boundaries or on certain path).

I haven't looked into the scenario programming bit much, but it would also be very handy if AI units and groups could be assigned to certain formations, waypoints and phase lines in general. I know that introduces an element of "scripted" AI - but in a sense, right now setting up objectives has largely the same effect as that, except a bit more chaotic.

It'd also be neat to be able to set up not just "no-go" zones but also "go" zones for AI - i.e. areas of the map through which the AI pathfinding would want to go, whether in terms of preferred routes or marshalling areas, to which the AI would go prior to executing attacks, or to which it would retreat if its morale/condition gets too low.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 17
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/25/2018 1:22:59 PM   
kevinkins

I noticed the scenarios released with the game are read only and can't be edited but I do not see a line in the xml that prohibits editing. How is this accomplished?

Thanks.

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 18
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/25/2018 2:39:57 PM   
22sec

quote:

I noticed the scenarios released with the game are read only and can't be edited but I do not see a line in the xml that prohibits editing. How is this accomplished?

Thanks.

I wonder if you copy them to the user folder if you could then edit them?

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 19
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/25/2018 3:49:55 PM   
kevinkins

You are right. You can edit them. Good for everyone to know. But I would like a way to, at times, make custom scenarios read only. Not a big deal now since editing is very limited. But in the future, it might be nice to lock the mission e.g. tournaments.

Kevin

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 20
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 11/26/2018 11:44:01 AM   
kevinkins

This thread mentions that a guide to "advanced" scenario design will be posted soon.

Kevin

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4559869

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 21
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/4/2018 7:01:18 PM   
22sec

Hard to believe we’re already coming up on three weeks since AB was released. I’m wrapping up my Goslar/Salzgitter map and trying to plan what to work on next. I’m torn between more Germany maps, and scenarios (something maybe like pseudo campaign) or doing a “modern” database and a map or two in today’s potential hotspot, such as the Sulwaki Gap. I was curious about what others might like to see.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 22
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/4/2018 7:22:18 PM   
exsonic01

quote:

Hard to believe we’re already coming up on three weeks since AB was released. I’m wrapping up my Goslar/Salzgitter map and trying to plan what to work on next. I’m torn between more Germany maps, and scenarios (something maybe like pseudo campaign) or doing a “modern” database and a map or two in today’s potential hotspot, such as the Sulwaki Gap. I was curious about what others might like to see.

+100 for your plan. IMO degree of freedom for modding + (relatively) easier modding difficulty + expandability is one of this game's unique merit, which other wargames doesn't have at all or only in limited option.

Both looks great option. Different aspect of Germany seems great for this game's core engine, cold war. Meanwhile, this game can't cover several aspects of modern weapons. (Airstrike with stand-off AGM and ARM, APS system....)

However, modern database + map will gather great interest, CMBS already showed some possibility of wargame for modern era. Some folks don't like modern weapons at all, saying too harsh and too unforgiven so that tactical sense become less important. But still, from my PBEM + single campaign experience from CMBS, good tactical and strategical sense always get paid in good way, even in modern games. (CMANO is also a great modern game, but it deals different scale of modern warfare) In long term plan for my Korean War mod, I also wish to expand time frame to late 90s or early 2000s.

So my vote is on modern games. In addition, Suwalki gap is also a perfect place for armored battle. I wish this game includes some aspects of modern battlefield in the future update.

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 23
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/5/2018 2:59:40 AM   
kevinkins

Can the DB be configured into a WW2 OOB of forces? Seems with a lot of work it could be. I think AB on the Eastern Front in WW2 would be a huge hit. For every Cold War fan there has to be 1000 WW2 fans . The Flashpoint team missed the WW2 boat. Will the AB team actually want to get rich?

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 24
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/5/2018 12:13:22 PM   
22sec

quote:

Can the DB be configured into a WW2 OOB of forces? Seems with a lot of work it could be. I think AB on the Eastern Front in WW2 would be a huge hit. For every Cold War fan there has to be 1000 WW2 fans . The Flashpoint team missed the WW2 boat. Will the AB team actually want to get rich?

I think the engine could easily handle WW2. Truth be told, I’ve always thought the engine could handle simulating combat from the Napoleanic era forward.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 25
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/5/2018 12:30:29 PM   
kevinkins

Some of the '41 tank battles on the eastern front would be very cool to play with AB. The mechanics of towing equipment would need to be developed.
Too bad map making is so laborious. Seems like the DB is less so.

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 26
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/5/2018 2:58:13 PM   
exsonic01

quote:

Some of the '41 tank battles on the eastern front would be very cool to play with AB. The mechanics of towing equipment would need to be developed.
Too bad map making is so laborious. Seems like the DB is less so.

There are tons of places which would earn some attention from WW2 fans. France and Dunkirk, approaching route to Moscow, Rzhev, Stalingrad, Operation Citadel and Prokhorovka, Seelow, Normandy, Ardennes, Italy and Monte Cassino, and etc.... Average engaging distance during WW2 was shorter than cold war, so it would be OK to pack division ~ even corp size forces into 61.44 x 61.44 km2 size map. This will looks like enlarged version of Close Combat, which many CC fans wished back in early 2000s. But games like Graviteam is already showing something similar.

Anyway, I agree that current AB game engine can handle 99% of weapons and mechanics of WW2, and I also agree that towing mechanism of AT guns should be introduced. Towing mechanism is also needed in cold war scenarios too, so I wish devs update this feature.

But I'm not sure whether devs have a will to develop WW2 games based on AB engine or not. Plus, even if they have a will to do, matter of manpower and resource is still an issue. It wouldn't be soon even if they have a plan for WW2 AB.

So... how about make a modding team? Map + database + modeling. There will be tons of work, but group effort might helps.

quote:

I think the engine could easily handle WW2. Truth be told, I’ve always thought the engine could handle simulating combat from the Napoleanic era forward.

Interesting, but is this game can depict melee attack? I also thought about Warhammer 40k mod and Civil war mod, but I'm not sure if this game can model bayonet charge or cavalry sword or any melee weapon attack.

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 12/5/2018 3:00:09 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 27
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/5/2018 4:23:08 PM   
kevinkins

I would participate in a modding team. But I am not sure I would have the patience to make maps. Perhaps with enough hand holding I could give it a whirl.

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 28
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/6/2018 12:21:00 PM   
kevinkins

Thanks to Veitikka our allowed uploads are now:

"Max. 9,999KB;
gif/txt/jpg/zip are supported"

Kevin

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 29
RE: Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources - 12/6/2018 12:23:32 PM   
22sec

That’s great news.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Community Scenarios: Ideas and Resources Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI