Torpedo questions...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Torpedo questions...

Post by Rusty1961 »

Not being a Japanese player I have this question:

1. German u-boats in Japanese service: Do they use G7 torpedoes? How good are they?

2. Do any other German vessels show up in the stock game?

Question on surface ships using torpedoes:

1. What is the best "spread" success you've seen in surface combat? Kind of hard to tell I realize.

2. Oi/Kitakami: Lots of Long Lances. Have you ever seen them work out like the Japanese planned for them?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
rustysi

RE: Torpedo questions...

Post by rustysi »

Keep in mind that I play a stock scenario 1.

1. Haven't seen any German subs in the game.

2. No German naval units what-so-ever.

Second 1.[:D] Couldn't really say.

Second 2. Simple answer, no. Its really kinda difficult to use them effectively as they have rather short legs (range). Doubt that's their only drawback. In the game Japanese torpedo attacks tend to be at rather long ranges and this reduces their hit %. Not saying its wrong, just stating an observation.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

German submarines and surface raiders appear in AndyMac's Ironman scenarios playing Allied against the Japanese AI.

I have never opened up the Japanese side to see what torpedo types they get, nor have I ever payed enough attention to the combat reports to see what they are shooting at me.

The surface ships carry Arado float planes, not Japanese, so I would assume the subs use German torps.

The ironic part is that they continue to operate after Germany has surrendered.
Hans

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

1. Only in AndyMac's Ironmans, check the database
2. same as 1.

1. 3 torps from a DD hitting a crippled BB sinking her
2. I had them hit something with torps occasionally
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961
2. Oi/Kitakami: Lots of Long Lances. Have you ever seen them work out like the Japanese planned for them?

I've not seen any spectacular torpedo success by those two in any of my three games as Japan but perhaps I wasn't using the right mix of TF ships or the best commanders for the job.

The historical Japanese did not intend these ships to be part of the type of battles that are standard in the game. They got their uber-batteries for only one purpose, to deliver a very, very long range massed launch towards an opposing battleline during the opening phase of a carefully orchestrated "Decisive" surface battle where the enemy would be forced to conform to Japanese plans. The Kitikami and Oi were never really intended to take their uber-batteries anywhere within the enemy's effective gun range. On the other hand, oxygen fires aren't specifically modelled in the game, so these two can at least participate in battles starting at shorter ranges without the risk of turning into giant roman candles.
This was the only sig line I could think of.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”