Anybody still playing on Windows XP?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Vic

Anybody still playing on Windows XP?

Post by Vic »

I am planning to upgrade the .NET framework for the next ATG patch.

Its a code language thing. Don't ask. But it does better memory handling, so its worth pushing this forward.

However it would mean loss of support for Windows XP.

I think no body is using it anymore.

But just want to check.

Anybody still on XP ??

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
altipueri

RE: Anybody still playing on Windows XP?

Post by altipueri »

Me.

4 XP laptops. I'll try to remember to not do any more updates.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Me.

4 XP laptops. I'll try to remember to not do any more updates.

Hi !

Found somebody.

You are a rare breed nowadays.

If you have the MATRIX version could you try out the Private Beta 2.28 on one of your XP laptops?

Just to make sure we couldn't get it to run on XP?

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

nope. Win 7 here :-)
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I installed it and I got a "Not a valid windows 32 application." or some such error.

I did a clean install to a Windows XP netbook. Patched up to 2.27g which seemed to work - I only started a random scenario, didn't play through.

I then downloaded the 2.28 Beta but it refused to start. I reverted to 2.27g and it works again.

I also did a 2.28 install on a Windows 8.1 machine and that seems Ok - again not a full play through.

My suggestion: Forget further XP patches now. 2.27g is still fine. Only if you get howls of protest do whatever TOAW did on their start up screen and have a second start button for XP users only - that was TOAW 3 not the more recent 4.

Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I installed it and I got a "Not a valid windows 32 application." or some such error.

I did a clean install to a Windows XP netbook. Patched up to 2.27g which seemed to work - I only started a random scenario, didn't play through.

I then downloaded the 2.28 Beta but it refused to start. I reverted to 2.27g and it works again.

I also did a 2.28 install on a Windows 8.1 machine and that seems Ok - again not a full play through.

My suggestion: Forget further XP patches now. 2.27g is still fine. Only if you get howls of protest do whatever TOAW did on their start up screen and have a second start button for XP users only - that was TOAW 3 not the more recent 4.

thanks for the feedback alitpueri!

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”