Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: TOAW XML Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: TOAW XML Editor Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 6/30/2019 4:43:53 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
If I recall someone mention pointers at one time. When in doubt always blame the pointers.

hmmm, I don't even know what "pointers" are...must be some kind of C++ thing or sumfink.

In any event, maybe it is only a matter of how TOAW exports/imports the file, and the structure of the XML file itself remains the same or close to the same... I guess we'll find when/if .30 comes out.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 451
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 6/30/2019 4:56:55 PM   
76mm

One other thing I forgot to mention: I will also try to add the calculated values such as unit movement and combat values, special characteristics, etc. Ralph said that he had no problem in principle with providing the relevant formula, etc. to calculate these values, so the main issue is when/if he will have time to dig up and send the relevant info.

And sorry to disappoint Larry and I'm sure others, but it will be some time before I do anything allowing the use of the map--the requisite coding would be orders of magnitude more complicated than what I'm doing now... I might look at allowing surgical tweaks to the map via XML, such as removing mud or snow, repairing/destroying rail/bridges, adding airfields, upgrading roads, etc.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 452
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 6/30/2019 6:59:54 PM   
Lobster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_(computer_programming)

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 453
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 6/30/2019 8:27:14 PM   
76mm

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_(computer_programming)

yeah, just what I thought, some kind of old-school computer stuff. We don't need no stinkin' pointers in C# (heh, AFAIK).

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 454
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 6/30/2019 8:30:05 PM   
Lobster

Yes but TOAW is in C.

Too bad it's so old.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/30/2019 8:31:22 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 455
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/2/2019 9:21:57 AM   
Zovs

There is nothing wrong with the C language, it was the first one I learned prior to C++ and Java.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
Warplanner Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 456
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/2/2019 1:58:10 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Yes but TOAW is in C.

Too bad it's so old.

C++

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 457
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/2/2019 4:05:04 PM   
Zovs

Which IDE do you use Bob? I know Java, C++ and C, been doing JavaScript for the last few years. Not sure if Matrix needs or wants anymore programmers or not.

Warplanner Beta Tester

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 458
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/2/2019 7:24:57 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Which IDE do you use Bob? I know Java, C++ and C, been doing JavaScript for the last few years. Not sure if Matrix needs or wants anymore programmers or not.

You could try contacting Tamas. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showprofile.asp?memid=2218

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 459
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/2/2019 9:03:22 PM   
Zovs

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Warplanner Beta Tester

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 460
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/4/2019 12:29:51 AM   
biddrafter2

Thrilled to see you are still working on this 76mm!! Your event viewer looks great.

I'll try to do some testing over the long weekend but a couple of potential comments:

1. Perhaps a toggle that allows the name of the top level event tree node to be either the current "Event # - Description" format, or switch to an "Event # - News" format. Sometimes news may be more descriptive than the number.

2. I had done initial work on event Groups. The idea was to layer another level of information above the events called groups. This would allow a batch of events to be grouped even if they did not have sequential event IDs. So, if a scenario designer had a set of common events for a particular purpose they could be grouped logically. Downside, since the XML does not have this field I was creating the group concept in local storage only, which raised the difficulty level. If you are interested, take a look at that old code I shared with you.

3 Longer term request - I had sketched out ideas to run Scenarios. Targeting the group concept in #2, I was going to allow a designer to simulate inputs to see how they flowed through the event tree, with the output being the call stack of events.

Keep up the excellent work!!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 461
RE: TOAW XML Editor - 7/4/2019 4:04:57 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: biddrafter2
Thrilled to see you are still working on this 76mm!! Your event viewer looks great.

Thanks!

quote:

1. Perhaps a toggle that allows the name of the top level event tree node to be either the current "Event # - Description" format, or switch to an "Event # - News" format. Sometimes news may be more descriptive than the number.

Yeah, I thought about some kind of toggle like this but wasn't quite sure what would make the most sense. Also, I was thinking that I would keep the base view as only the event numbers, but have some kind of toggle for the text shown in association with the various filters...hadn't really thought about news, but that could be useful. This would be a pretty easy change, but I wasn't sure I wanted to clutter the interface with another toggle. But maybe worth it, dunno...

quote:

2. I had done initial work on event Groups. The idea was to layer another level of information above the events called groups. This would allow a batch of events to be grouped even if they did not have sequential event IDs. So, if a scenario designer had a set of common events for a particular purpose they could be grouped logically. Downside, since the XML does not have this field I was creating the group concept in local storage only, which raised the difficulty level. If you are interested, take a look at that old code I shared with you.

Actually, this ability to store data in addition to what is in the exported XML data would be great for several things that I want to do...I will try to take a look at your code but am sure I'll have some questions.

quote:

3 Longer term request - I had sketched out ideas to run Scenarios. Targeting the group concept in #2, I was going to allow a designer to simulate inputs to see how they flowed through the event tree, with the output being the call stack of events.

I had a similar idea, which I called "causal chains" (although without simulating inputs) to show how events were linked together, but decided I would save this feature for later. As it is, I've put in a check so that if you delete an event used by another event, you will get a warning to that effect.

Thanks for the ideas!

< Message edited by 76mm -- 7/4/2019 4:05:13 AM >

(in reply to biddrafter2)
Post #: 462
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: TOAW XML Editor Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI