Questions about Formation Orders

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
76mm

Questions about Formation Orders

Post by 76mm »

After reading through the Formation Orders section of the manual again, I have a couple of clarifying questions about them:

1) Clearly most of the Formation Orders (supposedly other than Static and Delay, but see below) affect only the PO, although the description of some of the Formation Orders (Wait vs Delay, Hold vs Static, Advance vs Attack) differentiate between their application to human players or the PO...presumably these differences are between formations on the human side controlled by the PO, and formations on the side wholly controlled by the PO--correct?

2) The intro paragraph says that only Static and Delay affect the Human player, but the description of Garrison says that it also applies to human players? The description of Garrison goes on to say that it is "similar to Reserve orders", but in the manual there is on such thing as "Reserve orders"? But generally I understand that garrison units cannot move unless/until they are forced to retreat from their assigned hex, at which point they can move normally, correct?

sPzAbt653

RE: Questions about Formation Orders

Post by sPzAbt653 »

presumably these differences are between formations on the human side controlled by the PO, and formations on the side wholly controlled by the PO--correct?
The PO Assist feature is a recent addition so the Manual won't cover it. Look at the Elmer Assist Primer in the Manuals Folder for possibly more details. I don't use PO Assist so I can't offer more help than that.
garrison units cannot move unless/until they are forced to retreat from their assigned hex, at which point they can move normally, correct?
Correct.
Curtis Lemay

RE: Questions about Formation Orders

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

After reading through the Formation Orders section of the manual again, I have a couple of clarifying questions about them:

1) Clearly most of the Formation Orders (supposedly other than Static and Delay, but see below) affect only the PO, although the description of some of the Formation Orders (Wait vs Delay, Hold vs Static, Advance vs Attack) differentiate between their application to human players or the PO...presumably these differences are between formations on the human side controlled by the PO, and formations on the side wholly controlled by the PO--correct?

2) The intro paragraph says that only Static and Delay affect the Human player, but the description of Garrison says that it also applies to human players? The description of Garrison goes on to say that it is "similar to Reserve orders", but in the manual there is on such thing as "Reserve orders"? But generally I understand that garrison units cannot move unless/until they are forced to retreat from their assigned hex, at which point they can move normally, correct?

Reserve Orders are any orders that come with an activation turn (Static, Delay, Wait, Hold). They will be listed in the Formation Report as being "In reserve. Activates on turn XX". Those orders have a red band across their strength values. Unlike Garrison, they are also activated if any enemy unit moves adjacent to any unit in their formation.

Garrison is similar except they aren't activated by adjacent enemy units and don't have an activation turn. They are only activated by event, retreat, or reconstitution.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”