FITE v.5.0 try 2 same sides as before

After Action Reports
larryfulkerson

FITE v.5.0 try 2 same sides as before

Post by larryfulkerson »

I changed my mind about putting game 2 in the same thread as game 1 which was abandoned. This image is a section of the front lines and shows a contest in the middle of the war in which the Soviets are badly outnumbered and will soon be overrun. The Axis vehicles are going as fast as they can as far as they can each turn. The follow on forces are following too far behind to be of much help. So far so good.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (552.45 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

RE: FITE v.5.0 try 2 same sides as before

Post by larryfulkerson »

It's turn 5 already and I'm only just now starting the serious attacks at Riga. I've gotten across the Dvina just south of Riga and I'm working on capturing the crossings and I've sent troops to the NE to clear the terrain of threats to the Riga operation. I need that port city because the rail runs through there headed northeast to Leningrad. The supply levels on the NE side of the river are way too low for sustained operations. I'm hoping to be able to get some supply flowing that way before too long. Else I'll have to halt the advance for a bit.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (571.24 KiB) Viewed 814 times
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Soviet Turn 5 .........6th July 1941

Attacks pummel the defenders in Riga but the garrison holds on for this turn at least thanks to the armoured units in the city though Daugavpils lower down the Dvina river has fallen and Minsk is also now surrounded and besieged.

The blocking defence line to the west of the lower Dnepr just south of the Pripet marshes still holds back AGC trying to buy time for a more solid defence of the Dnepr river and Soviet troops have begun to start forming a defensible line around Dnepropetovsk which proved such a tough nut for the Germans to crack in our last game.

Likewise Odessa and the Sevastapol isthmus now are also firmly held with orders to resist at all costs given their dual role as an impediment to German supply and a springboard for an eventual counter attack.

In the north, Estonia remains in Soviet hands and so the defence lines west of Leningrad are reinforced as reinforcements continue to arrive at the front.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It's turn 6 and more of the Finns became active so I've set them in motion headed toward the exits so that the Soviets can't escape. I want to see if I can trap them and destroy them before they get away.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (572.5 KiB) Viewed 828 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is the Riga area now and I've leaped the river and units are spreading out and moving NE and clearing terrain as they go. I've been pounding on the Riga defenders for a couple of turns now and I'm not making much of a dent. Ian has constructed some pretty stout defenses there. I'm thinking about bringing in the RR arty since Odessa isn't within range yet.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (423.09 KiB) Viewed 840 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the north end of the Stalin Line down south and I've leaped the river and I'm getting into the Soviet backfield. I'm going to drive some more units across the river and get in behind the Stalin Line in force and liquidate the Soviet units.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (504.55 KiB) Viewed 862 times
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Soviet Turn 6 ....9th July 1941

As the Soviet troops on the Stalin line find German formations outflanking them from North and South the order is given to abandon their positions and most are able to save their men and equipment and melt away in the night...

Finnish troops are now pushing hard at Soviet line in the South of Finland which just manage to hold and Riga is repeatedly attacked but manages to resist for a further turn although it is predicted to fall imminently.

In the far North the defence lines just West of Murmansk are also under attack though things remain quiet in the South where defences around Sevastapol and Odessa are further strengthened.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Soviet Turn 7....13th July 1941

After some heavy bombardment and assault SS and Wehrmacht troops from AGN push my Soviet garrison out of the centre of Riga and only light resistance continues in the suburbs.

A bloodbath for the Finns as they assault the dug in Soviet garrison at the fortress city of Viipuri as in ferocious fighting the Finns lose over 800 rifle squads for the loss of 40 or so Soviet Rifle squads but eventually force of numbers tells and the city falls with the Soviets retreating in good order.

German recce troops are sighted only 40km south of Pskov as defences in the area continue to be bolstered but as yet the situation in the far south remains quiet with neither Odessa nor the Sevastapol isthmus disturbed by the invaders...
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It's turn 8 and I've gotten Minsk surrounded and I'm getting across the river and progress is being made.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (522.46 KiB) Viewed 884 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Axis units are approaching Pskov and the advance is going to slow down slightly because of the Soviet defenses there. I'm going to have to try to outflank them and roll up the Soviet line. I'm wondering what would happen if I neglected to grab Leningrad and drive on Moscow instead.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (440.02 KiB) Viewed 892 times
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Soviet Turn 8.....16th July 1941

German troops from AGC stream across the Berezina river towards Mogilev and Zhlobin though the resistance at Minsk continues.

Interdiction from German bombers make a movement around the Front difficult and dangerous but in another couple of turns Soviet air shock improves again and the Soviet Air Force can try and contest the skies.

In the South, Romanian tanks advance to within 40Km of Odessa and battle for the crucial city cannot be long in coming.

In Finland the Soviets have withdrawn back to South and East of the pre war borders apart from just North of Leningrad which prevents Finnish units attacking them until turn 40.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's what the war looks like to the Finns. They have advanced eastward and have taken over LapLand and they are going to stop at the stop lines as I understand them and then go into garrison mode. I've included lots of German units in the forces advancing on Leningrad so that they don't have to stop at the stop line and can continue to push on the city.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (513.44 KiB) Viewed 912 times
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 9 20th July 1941

Minsk is on the verge of falling after a stout resistance and in the North the Soviets in Finland, calling back towards Leningrad are surprised to find German regular and SS troops facing them, posing a greater and more immediate threat to the city than expected, forcing a hurried redeployment in the Leningrad Military District.

The heavy guns of the Odessa garrison open up on Romanian Infantry that has approached the defensive cordon around the city and more reinforcements reach the Sevastapol area.

Finally some Soviet air assets start to reappear slowly near the Front in an attempt to at least curb the total Axis air domination a little.

It is evident that the German and Finnish advance is much more threatening and well organised than our last game and Larry is doing a fine job. It is very much in the balance whether it will be possible to stabilise the Front....
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

The rails are being repaired closer to Odessa so I railed the RR arty down to start the bombardment on the units defending. I understand that there's a supply center in the city so the takedown is going to be prolonged and losses are going to be heavy and I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it. Maybe I should just cordon off the city and babysit it.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (379.01 KiB) Viewed 912 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the situation north of Leningrad. The Finns have reached the stop line but I railed some German units down from the far north and they have been the spearhead of the drive south and have come in really handy. Plus, I don't need to stop at the stop line with them. It might make a big difference in the game.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (421.9 KiB) Viewed 912 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've finally reached the vicinity of Narva and my troops are out of supply so the push will have to rest a bit. I've flown the Stuka's up north and the port of Leningrad is within range. The drive to Narva was made easier by the fact that Ian had evacuated all his troops from the peninsula. My RR engineers are having a really hard time keeping up with the front lines in this area. Pskov is turning into a fortress since he's had time to dig in and bring up the arty. I'm extending the lines to the east by bringing up more troops and forming a rough line. My troops have been resting periodically and they are mostly ready for combat. One or two of the formations are tired but the rest of them are good to go. I've been moving the aircraft to keep up to the front and provide a lot of good support. I haven't seen a lot of Soviet aircraft lately.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (459.84 KiB) Viewed 912 times
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 11...27th July 1941

After Minsk fell last turn German advanced elements are now battling to cross the River Dvina at Vitebsk and the Upper Dnepr at Mogilev and Orsha. In our last game both these crossings were the scene of furious resistance but I have only left a delaying force at both in this agame as I am still rushing to form an MLR slightly further East.

The arrival of the 3rd Army in Leningrad has seemingly helped stabilise the situation in the nick of time and the Leningrad fixed artillery helps to inflict heavy casualties on the forward regiments of 6th Geb SS Division which has reached the fortified lines.

Soviet Air shock increases to a more respectable 100 (though Axis is still at 120) so air losses this turn are about even despite two ill judged airfield strikes by Soviet bombers north of Odessa which do no damage and cause over 15% losses. Odessa itself is now completely surrounded.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I have pushed east to Orsha and the next big river to cross and I'm resting the units, let them gather their supply and refit a bit. The RR engineers have labored day and night to keep up with the front and they aren't so far away now. Soviet aircraft have started to show up at the front.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (481.88 KiB) Viewed 912 times
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 12 (Soviet)

As Larry indicated German forces took a breather this turn so Soviet activity was restricted to giving the artillery on the east bank of the Narva River in the north and in Odessa in the South a workout. Once again the Leningrad heavy guns also did a lot of damage to SS troops pushing against the fortified line. My hope is that if I can blunt the Germans the Finns will be unable to force their way over because of the movement restrictions that are in place until turn 40.

Two more full Armies are railed to the front lines from the East and a solid north to south MLR is just about in place the length of the country with the delaying units around Orsha, Smolensk and Mogilev still in place. The Germans have crossed the upper Dnepr at Ragichev but for now have been stopped by a Soviet infantry screen

After getting a serious bloody nose trying to hit German airbases last turn the Soviet bombers keep a low profile ... !
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is Kiev now. I've gotten units around the west side of the city and I've brought in a lot of arty and I'm going to rest them until they have 100% of their supply and then start the bombardments, about once per turn, three-dots per strike. And the aircraft. I need to be carefull because some of the Kiev defending hexes contains an AA unit and that's a no-strike hex. I hate losing planes to flak. Attacks seem to garner more enemy losses if a ground contingent is included with the bombardment and airstrikes and I'm wondering what kind of damage I can expect from one-dot attacks with everybody.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (491.95 KiB) Viewed 912 times

Return to “After Action Reports”