A question on tooltip values

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Shadrach

A question on tooltip values

Post by Shadrach »

Since tooltips were gone (now fixed), and looking at them now, I noticed there are some values displayed in the tips, that are not in the regular info bar at the bottom of the screen, when hovering over terrain.

These values are:

AP
SP
AT
FORT: I think this is always the same as Entrenchment?

I tried to search the manual but could't find anything on these. I assume bonuses for defense?

I was thinking I could actually do without tooltips, and just rely on the info bar and unit dialog, but if there's information missing that wouldn't work [:(]
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Oberst_Klink

RE: A question on tooltip values

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Anti-Personal, Anti-Tank, Supply.

I found a similar thread from bygone times...

tm.asp?m=4115055

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Ok so I guess these values are kind of important, and if we turn off tooltips, we will lose this information, since the tooltip is the only place they're shown?
- Norm Koger
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

They should in fact be important, but I have already noticed in another thread the same inconsistency that was stated in the thread Herr Klink has pointed to. As far as I can notice, they should bring the Anti Armor and Anti Personnel values modified by terrain and deployment, which would be very useful to quickly evaluate the defensive advantage of the terrain the unit is in. But it is difficult to relate them to the terrain table. It would be nice to have those explained and placed between brackets in the unit panel.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I just think the values shown in the tooltip should also be available to view without the tooltip. The unit panel wouldn't work because there's not always a unit where you want to examine.

The best would be to bring the same data into the bottom information bar. But it looks like it will only fit two lines...
- Norm Koger
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

The problem is that it is based on the type of equipment. There are 5 modifiers: Defensive Anti-Armor strength; defensive anti-personnel strength; defensive strength of vehicles; defensive strength of infantry and defensive strength of static equipment. That would be a lot of info to exhibit.

The best way, IMHO, would be to display the modified strengths between brackets in the unit panel. There is, already, a configuration for terrain modified anti-armor strength that can be set to be shown on the counter. It was bugged and I didn't check yet if it was fixed by the latest patch. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have modified AT, AP and Defensive strength besides their unmodified values in the unit panel. Without a unit present, the only way to do it would be to show all the 5 modifiers above in the information bar. That would be a lot of info and players would have to estimate the weight of each kind of equipment for each unit. As I suggest above, the benefit of the terrain to the specific unit would be clear in the blink of an eye, looking at the original value and the modified one just aside. Additionally, the value between brackets could be updated when the movement arrow is pointing to a new hex, so that one could immediately evaluate the benefit of the specific terrain to the selected unit.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Well, out of the two lines in the info bar, the bottom is most of the time "Left click to select unit" which IMO is kind of redundant. Or "Right click to order movement" which is the same.

Or they could just add another line of text. Or just put it all one the same line, as there's plenty of horizontal space there [;)]

- Norm Koger

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”